Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 10:36 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times

Advertisements

So my partner and I ate out at our local Ethiopian restaurant, The Queen of Sheeba tonight. We have been going there for years, as it is close by to our house and the food is quite tasty but we have had enough problems with the service that we are now looking for a new restaurant to satisfy our hunger when we are in the mood for ethiopian cuisine.

My partners biggest complaint is that the primary eating utensil at Queen of Sheeba is your.......hands, and injera of course. He does not like eating with his hands and would prefer to eat with standard American utensils. Also, the injera is extremely filling, and when eating with it constantly you can't ever finish the main course because you have consumed so much injera. Each time we go to eat, we request forks, and we ALWAYS get sneered at, or laughed at, or "tisk tisk"ed at. As though eating with your hands is a commodity that should be indulged in. Well that has happened for the last time as we won't be going there anymore.

My complaints are mostly customer service related. I won't devulge them here, as those are not specific to Ethiopian restaurants.

So does anyone on CD have recomendations on Ethiopian restaurants? Preferably one that at least will provide eating utensils without rude remarks when requested?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Queen of Sheba is the only Ethiopian restaurant in the Tampa bay area as far as I know.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:02 AM

265 posts, read 975,119 times
I do Queen of Sheba from time to time and you're right, the service can leave a lot to be desired.

Eating with your hands is part of the experience in Ethiopian cuisine, it is what it is...

Old 11-09-2011, 11:24 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,306,244 times
Queen of Sheba's the only one that I know of. Did not like the food at all. I only went once.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:03 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I'm not a big fan of Ethiopian, mainly because of the Injera. but eating with your hands is the way they do it. I do wonder why they wouldn't smilingly provide you forks, the way Chinese restaurants do for non-Chinese patrons.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
I'm not a big fan of Ethiopian, mainly because of the Injera. but eating with your hands is the way they do it. I do wonder why they wouldn't smilingly provide you forks, the way Chinese restaurants do for non-Chinese patrons.
That's exactly what we think! We both eat at Chinese restaurants all the time! He is Chinese in fact. And we are both 100% fluent in chopsticks. Despite our ability to use chopsticks, sometimes we might request a fork or knife at a Chinese restaurant and they never hesitate to provide one. A lot of the time the restaurant will even have both forms of utensils at the table.

Hmm. I guess since Queen of Sheeba is the only ethiopian restaurant in Tampa we will have to go to a different one the next time we go out of town. I'm sure QoS is not setting a standard. lol.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 PM

244 posts, read 920,890 times
There is also an Ethiopian food stand at the Saturday Morning Market in downtown St. Pete. I think it's called Abol Bunna or something like that. They used to have an actual restaurant in Tampa but they didn't renew their lease. I like them a little better than QOS, although I think QOS is pretty good.

Old 11-12-2011, 04:34 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,836 times
All my mental images of Ethiopea are of starving little babies sitting around in the dirt with distended bellies and flies buzzing all over them.

The idea of eating their "cuisine" with my hands is not very appealing.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:24 PM

244 posts, read 920,890 times
Correction, the Ethiopian food stand at the Saturday morning market is called "Taste of Ethiopia." It's quite good, in my opinion. Just got done eating there an hour or so ago. Ethiopian cuisine is an ancient cuisine just like Chinese or Indian cuisine. Remember Ethiopia was the home of ancient Kush and Abyssinia. Also, the church of Lalibela is one of the oldest churches in the world, carved into the living rock. Kinda cool. Not exactly historical lightweights.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:24 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,204,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Correction, the Ethiopian food stand at the Saturday morning market is called "Taste of Ethiopia." It's quite good, in my opinion. Just got done eating there an hour or so ago. Ethiopian cuisine is an ancient cuisine just like Chinese or Indian cuisine. Remember Ethiopia was the home of ancient Kush and Abyssinia. Also, the church of Lalibela is one of the oldest churches in the world, carved into the living rock. Kinda cool. Not exactly historical lightweights.
Thanks for that info. I will check that out too.

But for OP, that's the only place as far as I know. There are a couple of nice places in Orlando and Miami too but that's a long drive, of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay