Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:26 PM

12 posts, read 20,670 times

Advertisements

So far these are two areas we like. Can someone tell me of other areas like these two? No kids in school and husband works from home. He needs close proximity to the airport as he will be flying in and out at least once a month. The realtor we used when were down two weeks ago did not listen to a thing I had told her and took us to areas we had no interest in. TIA for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 07:06 AM

70 posts, read 177,720 times
Both are very nice areas with newer subdivisions (especially in the East Lake part of Palm Harbor).

Other possibilities you could look at that might also work are the Westchase area (group of communities in western Tampa and a nice area), the Waterchase community (a little higher priced but also very nice and a little north of Westchase), Odessa (northwest Hillsborough county) and East Lake Woodlands in Oldsmar (very large development - gated, golf course development - with a variety of communities; some older some newer and variety of price ranges.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:37 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,663,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnedd View Post
Both are very nice areas with newer subdivisions (especially in the East Lake part of Palm Harbor).

Other possibilities you could look at that might also work are the Westchase area (group of communities in western Tampa and a nice area), the Waterchase community (a little higher priced but also very nice and a little north of Westchase), Odessa (northwest Hillsborough county) and East Lake Woodlands in Oldsmar (very large development - gated, golf course development - with a variety of communities; some older some newer and variety of price ranges.
Agree with all these but would add Safety Harbor to the list. SH has a really nice downtown area with a great spa and dining! Just get on nearby Courtney Campbell Causeway and you are at TIA and it's a scenic ride too!Homes range from upscale to quaint and it also has great parks (Phillipe for people and Enterprise for Fido)! Having said all that I live in Palm Harbor and it's great too!! Good Luck!!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:46 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,222,254 times
What is your price range? Do you want to be close to the water or does it matter.

You got some good suggestions. I also like Safety Harbor for its little quaint town on the bay. Westchase is also very nice but the houses are VERY close together in most nabs. Close to shopping, restaurants and TIA.

We do have a couple of realtors who post here who offer their help to folks here. So far I have seen only good reviews.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the replies. We just stayed in Safety Harbor thanks to Priceline and honestly the area we saw looked quite depressed. I guess we must have missed the nicer parts? Our price range is 250,000 - 300,000. I want to be far enough from the beach that our insurance is not ridiculous but close enough not to take more the 45 minutes to get to one. As I mentioned, my husband has to be within close proximity to the airport, hopefully no more then a 30 minute drive. Again, thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:00 AM

428 posts, read 1,244,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegv420 View Post
Thanks for the replies. We just stayed in Safety Harbor thanks to Priceline and honestly the area we saw looked quite depressed. I guess we must have missed the nicer parts? Our price range is 250,000 - 300,000. I want to be far enough from the beach that our insurance is not ridiculous but close enough not to take more the 45 minutes to get to one. As I mentioned, my husband has to be within close proximity to the airport, hopefully no more then a 30 minute drive. Again, thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.
Safety Harbor is an interesting place. At one point we were seriously looking for a home there. There are many pros: several public parks, a nice waterfront area, a nice downtown area, lots of nice middle class folks, good schools, and seemingly a little off the beaten path- this area isn't really a "pass through" to other spots as so much of this area is.

Here is the one oddity to the "first impression." To spite all the nice things, it is a bit jarring to drive a few blocks from this picture perfect downtown. I think the area just north of downtown (e.g. along MLK) isn't this picture perfect neighborhood like you might expect. It doesn't look like a bad area or anything like that, it just isn't the type of neighborhood I'd personally expect... you know, it is the sort of place where chain link fencing is considered decorative enough for a front yard.

The other thing worth mentioning is that there seem to be many distinct areas to this small little town. There are newer subdivision type places where you can buy a more modern house on a cul-de-sac, and there are mansions on the waterfront.

FWIW I probably wouldn't be deterred too much by the area north of downtown, especially if one of the areas of the town interest you. You'd really need to spend some time exploring to establish a good lay of the land.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:49 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,610,181 times
I'm confused that you chose Trinity. I understand why you would like it, but it is really far from the airport. It may look close, but it's not. Commute time to/from the airport during non-peak hours is going to be at least an hour each way.

I might suggest you look at Boot Ranch. It's near Eastlake Woodlands in Palm Harbor (but a bit nicer IMO). You might also look around Countryside in Clearwater. Honestly, there are many very nice neighborhoods along McMullen Booth Road which would be much closer to the Tampa International Airport yet close enough to the Gulf beaches.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:45 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions. I appreciate it. We like the look of Trinty, that is why I was asking for similar looking areas. Hubby would not be thrilled with an hour commute to the airport. Living in northern NJ, we have easy access to two airports and a bit longer to Kennedy. We are spoiled in that regard.

Old 03-29-2011, 01:49 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,328,731 times
Trinity and Palm Harbor could not be more different if you ask me...

They are both terrible places if you need to drive to anywhere of importance, with PH being a little better of the two.

Old 03-29-2011, 02:12 PM

27,217 posts, read 46,787,895 times
Trinity is Pasco County with more friendly property taxes...so don't forget about that...When November comes around and you have to pay...it feels better to be taxed lower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay