Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 09:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times

Advertisements

She needs to find work with a larger retailer, and then get transferred. That's how most people come to FL (in other job fields). It is really hard, and time consuming to try getting a job without being there, her portfolio must be outstanding, and she would have the ability to fly down on hour/day's notice. If she can pull that off, then she could go that route. But if you can move down, and she could stay with you, then it would be much more beneficial for her, and a LOT easier to interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanbat View Post
Thanks for your posts, folks. I will share this with my daughter. She has applied for a number of jobs with some response but the big sticking point is the fact that she does not live there and that stops them. I know companies move high powered executives but her jobs are not quite to that level. We would love to see the progression be: get the job, then do the move. Right now our strategy is Gramps and Gramma move, she moves down with the girls and moves in with us, she gets a job. There is no possibilty of her just living off of us, it has never happened and never will, she pulls her weight and more.
I will encourage her to move away from Craig's list and see how things look on different job search sites. Thanks, Algia.
Gypsychick, if we find people like you in Florida we will be happy as clams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2012, 09:45 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Okay well according to my sister who lives in the tampa bay area she says the unemployment rate is 10% the national average is 8% . You can judge from that . There are alot of folks that are unemployed and losing their homes in Florida so judge for yourself . Also would suggest that you rent first , florida is not for everyone and you may not like it .

Old 01-24-2012, 10:17 AM

1,388 posts, read 2,387,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
There are those who will always post the worst about anywhere in Florida.
there are also those of us who feel compelled to point out the negatives to counterbalance those who only see florida through rose-colored glasses.

Old 01-24-2012, 10:31 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
there are also those of us who feel compelled to point out the negatives to counterbalance those who only see florida through rose-colored glasses.
I do not see Florida through "rose-colored" glasses. I post on this forum to counter-balance the many over-the-top bashers, and I never accused you of being one. You know yourself there are plenty here. Nowhere in my post did I say it would be perfect here, did I?

Anyway, I am posting this link from another post, for the benefit of the OP:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/susanada...nt-be-in-2012/

Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Let's make this very easy..

OP, you premise is very clear. Your daughter sees job adds that are many times more, and pay more, than Ohio. Encourage her to apply and once you guys have that, move here. I will take Florida any day from Ohio too, if I have a job in both places.

Make sure that you understand the risk of relocation without a job and you are good to go.

Welcome to Florida!

Old 01-24-2012, 11:36 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
Gypsy> I like the link to the article you posted. Gives this area a lot of hope for jobs.

Where The Jobs Will (And Won't) Be In 2012 - Forbes

Old 01-24-2012, 02:57 PM

74 posts, read 120,666 times
We have pretty well decided to rent a house, 4 br, with pool if possible, near to good schools. Question: do you think the location of your house would in some way impress employers when my daughter applies? Should we be looking to rent in an area as upscale as possible?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:19 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
WHY? should that matter? it is her job skills that counts! Don't waste your money! If employers would care, it would once again be a case of discrimination!

Quote:
We have pretty well decided to rent a house, 4 br, with pool if possible, near to good schools. Question: do you think the location of your house would in some way impress employers when my daughter applies? Should we be looking to rent in an area as upscale as possible?

Old 01-24-2012, 03:34 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
How and why could that possibly matter? Never heard anyone ask that question before. It's her skills, education and work history and personality that count.

Old 01-24-2012, 03:35 PM

74 posts, read 120,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
WHY? should that matter? it is her job skills that counts! Don't waste your money! If employers would care, it would once again be a case of discrimination!
Ya, you're right. Dumb question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay