Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:02 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
If you think all white means all good...visit West Virginia and a few of their "banjo boy" towns!! Race is irrelvant when choosing a place to live...where you want to live is a place of like minded people who value hard work,education, home-ownership and family.
There arent many places in WV that have real problems with crime.

The crime they have is "jethro knocked up jeb's daughter and wont marry her, let's kill him" type

And dont bring up Jesco White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 02:36 PM

126 posts, read 218,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonny View Post
We drove through recently. Mentmore Ave, checked out some developments going in there.... passed the schools as they were letting out. Got a good idea of the quality of the neighborhoods.

.... I knew the prices of the homes there were too good to be true.
I thought LOL had a really good school and low crime. What do you mean the prices were too good to be true? Are you saying it's very expensive to live there?

Old 03-14-2012, 05:17 AM

173 posts, read 391,398 times
Quote:
If you think all white means all good...visit West Virginia and a few of their "banjo boy" towns!! Race is irrelvant when choosing a place to live...where you want to live is a place of like minded people who value hard work,education, home-ownership and family.
...You do realize that others have different values, right?

hard work?---- I tend to work smarter, not harder. I don't do manual labor..Is your value # of hours, or physical work, or type of work (medical, clerical, manufacturing....) or are you just cutting out the disabled and unemployed?

Education? Depends on your talents/intelligence/finances. I've met many educated idiots, and unschooled well-read geniuses. There's a lot between those two extremes. A well trained mechanic is far more useful, and makes good money....but that's not a college education... is that good enough?

Home-ownership? Really? At this point in the economy... Homeowners are in a tight spot. They've been told how important it is to own a home for decades. Now, they've refinanced, lost value, and are facing difficult decisions. Twenty years ago that was important. Today? Really?

Family? I find this an interesting value....Everyone is for families... BUT... only their narrow definition of family. How do you feel about three generations living in a house together? Or two unrelated families living together? How about unwed mothers? Gay marriage? Polyamory? Family is a big concept... far larger than most people realize.

Just because these are your values.. doesn't mean they need to be your neighbors. I can understand only running cars-- parked in the driveway, not the yard. or keep the lawn mowed, trash picked up, attractive landscaping, etc. Open your eyes. Many people are struggling to stay afloat.

Many people I see that are in deep trouble were solidly middle class just a few years ago.

It will be interesting to see how these "values" change in the next 10 years.

Old 03-14-2012, 02:58 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times
All I was trying to point out that race or skin color does not determine where I would choose to reside!I want to live in a place with like minded people regardless of their skin color...I really don't know why this gets your colon in a knot?

Old 03-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazynip View Post
There arent many places in WV that have real problems with crime.

The crime they have is "jethro knocked up jeb's daughter and wont marry her, let's kill him" type

And dont bring up Jesco White
All I meant was that just because an area maybe 99% white doesn't make it a desireable place to live.Race is not important...I could easily live in a mostly black upscale community say outside of Atlanta...race doesn't factor in where I choose to live...it's schools and education levels that matter most to me!

Old 03-14-2012, 05:23 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
Quote:
All I meant was that just because an area maybe 99% white doesn't make it a desireable place to live.Race is not important...I could easily live in a mostly black upscale community say outside of Atlanta...race doesn't factor in where I choose to live...it's schools and education levels that matter most to me!
There arent many places near Atlanta I would live. And none of them are what most would call "diverse"

Old 03-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Coming from NYC diversity is a given...so it's not an issue for me...just give me a good school system , neighbors who maintain their homes and peacefully co-exist with others...and I'm good!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:33 AM

173 posts, read 391,398 times
Quote:
All I was trying to point out that race or skin color does not determine where I would choose to reside!I want to live in a place with like minded people regardless of their skin color...I really don't know why this gets your colon in a knot?
Sorry, I read that as "scum comes in all colors- the true test of a person is if they measured up to my requirements"

I've never figured out how someone can determine "like minded people" from driving through a neighborhood... Although I suppose it is partially what your mind is like.

Old 03-15-2012, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairegoad View Post
Sorry, I read that as "scum comes in all colors- the true test of a person is if they measured up to my requirements"

I've never figured out how someone can determine "like minded people" from driving through a neighborhood... Although I suppose it is partially what your mind is like.
Wow Never said you just have to drive through a neighboorhood...Before we moved here I researched school systems and then visited schools for tours and interviewed other parents at dismissal on car line...the first home we bought here while lovely had an older staffed HOA and were not interested in improving play park for children and somewhat not child friendly...so we moved to a more kid friendly neighborhood where others from our new school lived which made playdates easier.The same process went when choosing a church...I attended services in a few places and choose the best fit for our family!Yes I do have standards...none of which include race...I suppose that makes me a shallow person in your eyes but honestly I coud careless!I think overall I made the right decisions for my family...kids are happy,well educated and successful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay