Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 AM

74 posts, read 120,731 times

Advertisements

We will be in your tropical paradise tomorrow for our vacation/exploratory expedition. We rented a mini-van and between our Busch Gardening and Siesta Beaching we will be neighborhood tasting and maybe have a few appointments to see some rental houses. On the internet we have found that the good ones seem to get rented faster than we can print them out. We shall pack the laptop and possibly a mobile network card to unshackle ourselves from Starbucks and audition on the fly.

My family is very excited about the trip. My wife has packed and re-packed her small carry-on bag, (Allegiant Airline), for about a week. They have exerted considerable effort to look their best for you in new clothing and cosmetics despite my lectures on frugality and dipped into our vacation money. I must admit Macy's got the best of me also in the form of a Tommy Bahama's silk shirt and equally over-priced short set. I am certain to be easily pegged as a tourist who attempted to Floridize himself.
So here we come. I am anxiously anticipating your observations of the areas being transformed into actual experience as I insert my presence and senses into the scenes.

Last edited by gmanbat; 04-01-2012 at 04:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 05:03 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
You should write a travel book...

Have a safe/non-aggravating flight down...

(I was sticker shocked at Macy's too a few weeks ago, because I must have stepped into some "sale", which never happens to me, because I got some really nice stuff for under $10 bucks (each)...LOL)

Good Luck finding rentals...

Have a nice time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanbat View Post
We will be in your tropical paradise tomorrow for our vacation/exploratory expedition. We rented a mini-van and between our Busch Gardening and Siesta Beaching we will be neighborhood tasting and maybe have a few appointments to see some rental houses. On the internet we have found that the good ones seem to get rented faster than we can print them out. We shall pack the laptop and possibly a mobile network card to unshackle ourselves from Starbucks and audition on the fly.

My family is very excited about the trip. My wife has packed and re-packed her small carry-on bag, (Allegiant Airline), for about a week. They have exerted considerable effort to look their best for you in new clothing and cosmetics despite my lectures on frugality and dipped into our vacation money. I must admit Macy's got the best of me also in the form of a Tommy Bahama's silk shirt and equally over-priced short set. I am certain to be easily pegged as a tourist who attempted to Floridize himself.
So here we come. I am anxiously anticipating your observations of the areas being transformed into actual experience as I insert my presence and senses into the scenes.

Old 04-01-2012, 05:10 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Have a nice time here and enjoy some of what this area has to offer.......

Old 04-01-2012, 08:38 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Have an awesome time! But I must warn you ---- you may not want to leave!

Old 04-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Algia,
I normally just hit the sales at Macy's but my daughter and granddaughter got excited dressing up Grampa. I have lost 70 pounds since last summer and now fit into regular rack clothes. I couldn't get far from the dressing room because they kept bringing me things, some expensive. I would have never dreamed I would pay $88. for shorts!
They are trying to get Grampa to dress like a young guy, wouldn't even let me get my usual polo golf shirt. I try to be flexible, realizing that other points of view may be as valid as mine regardless of how absurd they seem to me, especially from these gals that love me so much. So I will happily dress beneath my age and disregard the puzzled stares from strangers.

Anne,

What a beautiful picture, I wanted to dive in!

Gypsychic,

I already don't want to leave!

I know all Floridians are not as gracious as you folks but I would guess that most are if you give them a chance. You sure made me feel welcome. Thank you!!!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:17 PM

41 posts, read 54,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That thesaurus you ate - did it come with fries ?
This just made me laugh out loud!!

gmanbat, I love your style. You really should be a writer. Do you talk like that too?

Enjoy your vacation in paradise!

Old 04-01-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Freebird View Post
This just made me laugh out loud!!

gmanbat, I love your style. You really should be a writer. Do you talk like that too?

Enjoy your vacation in paradise!
Thanks, Florida Freebird.

The closest I can come to talking like that is after a good night's sleep and a 5 Hour Energy chased by a triple expresso. Catch me under those conditions and you will find yourself running in desperate search for a place where talking is forbidden.
Otherwise the grey matter is too slow in the verbal department to tap the vocabulary and usage afforded by the unlimited time of writing.

If I am not mistaken Florida has lured many a good writer into it's sultry embrace. Perhaps I will find the inspiration and impetuous to stage the release of a lifetime of pent up feeling and observation. My readers will then have the luxury of merely putting down my book to escape the incessant nature of my jabberjawing.

Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM

We just arrived back to our Ohio home dressed in shorts, Siesta Key T-shirts, and hoodies.

We had a wonderful time! We enjoyed Busch Gardens, Tampa Aquarium, a water park in Orlando, visiting with friendly relatives, and our new adopted second home, Siesta Key beach. We stayed at the house of a friend in Ellenton who took us out on the bay in his speedy boat. We all strained to soak up as much of the vibe as possible until our return.

We also looked at a house in Land O Lakes. Nice place but we are not done looking. Our trip was more about fun but we attempted to subdue our green-ness while we frolicked. It was strange to see the places that I have been researching on the web all this time, like spotting celebrities: "Oh, look, it's Pineview Middle School!" "Wiregrass Mall, wow!" "Brandon traffic...yes!"

Floridians were kind to us, we enjoyed them as well. Weather was deluxe as expected and the restaurants were superb. Siesta Key beach was like walking on sugar, and my granddaughters lost their former fear of waves as we did our best to ride them in. We were so lifted by the whole experience we didn't even let our frantic flight home dampen our sunniness.

You have a wonderful state, you know. There's a reason for the crowds.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:05 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Yes, there is a reason for the crowds!

We are enjoying your writing style! Like Algia suggested before, you should consider writing! As for now this forum enjoys your style.

Have a wonderful Floridian Easter day!!

Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM

I am returning to your citrus citadel to bring my wife down for a cruise with her sisters. While she is running from aged Lotharios I will be checking out houses, both rental and for sale properties. Hopefully, my witty granddaughter will be aiding me, (programming the Tom-Tom, taking notes, keeping track of papers, etc.), if she can get a reprieve from the principal to be freed from those last fruitless-tests over-watching movies days of middle school.

Our ardor for moving is still strong, our exploratory trip did nothing to diminish it. I believe I have a feel for the Tampa Bay area and have dispelled most of my naive notions. I have this forum to thank for administering the smelling salts.

I will be setting up meetings with rental and real estate agents as well as checking out what the web has to offer. I have acquired an Ipad with mobile wireless and apps which will aid my pursuit of domicile. I will be checking newspapers and just driving around nice neighborhoods. My granddaughter wants to look at the schools as well.

Any other suggestions would be recieved with gratitude. See you soon, my sweltering friends!

Last edited by gmanbat; 05-02-2012 at 08:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay