Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 08:32 AM

156 posts, read 486,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
I pretty much think the same except I start at 15% for standard service. I usually tip around the 18-20% range. Last night for example, I went out with my wife for dinner and the waitress was prompt, friendly, kept refilling our drinks. At the end of the night her tip was 24%. I have even given over 30% tip for outstanding service in the past.

On the hand, I have gone out for dinner and have had to flag down my waitress or waiter numerous times for refills or other requests due to lack of attention or to busy chatting with coworkers, as well as receiving subpar service. A tip for that type of service has been anywhere from 2-10% depending on how bad the service was.

A server should not expect 15% automatically regardless of service. I feel 15% is for standard service.
Couldn't agree with you more. We eat out frequently - and I tip very generously for outstanding service. But if I have to force you to do your job by asking for refills, or ask for something like extra napkins 3 times before you actually bring it, the tip meter gets turned way down or even off in some circumstances. If I have to wait 10 minutes for you to bring a drink because you are busy yucking it up with your coworkers instead of tending to customers, you won't get a tip at all. I see this happen all the time. If you don't have the work ethic to take your job seriously, why should I reward you for that?

And by the way, though I myself am not in the restaurant business, I come from a family of many restaurant owners, including my father who owned several of them in the NYC area - where competition for where you spend your food dollars is, in my opinion, far greater than it is here. My dad had his share of servers who were great and who were not so great. The ones that were great made great tips. The ones who weren't, didn't. Always seemed pretty simple to me.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:44 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
I tip 20% or more almost always for good, expected service level. I'm not precise in my calculations, but I try to be fair. Waitressing is not something I could ever deal with myself, so I appreciate the effort and crap they have to put up with. Plus I know they have to split it at the end of the day, and a lot of times their contribution to others (cooks, bussers, etc.) is based on sales, not tips actually received. If they are stiffed on a large check, they can end up in the hole. So in a way, I sometimes want to make up for the tightwads who don't tip well.

10% is for cheapskates... rarely has service been so bad that I would leave a 10% tip.

15% is for "just OK" service.

Worst story I've heard - old folks who leave a "I'm on a fixed income and can't tip, so sorry" PRINTED BUSINESS CARD in lieu of a tip! Here's a tip for diners: if you can't afford to tip, don't go to a sit down restaurant! Get it to go, or go to a walkup counter!

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Sorry, 15% is all you'll get from me.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:54 AM

1,765 posts, read 2,197,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I tip 20% or more almost always for good, expected service level. I'm not precise in my calculations, but I try to be fair. Waitressing is not something I could ever deal with myself, so I appreciate the effort and crap they have to put up with. Plus I know they have to split it at the end of the day, and a lot of times their contribution to others (cooks, bussers, etc.) is based on sales, not tips actually received. If they are stiffed on a large check, they can end up in the hole. So in a way, I sometimes want to make up for the tightwads who don't tip well.

10% is for cheapskates... rarely has service been so bad that I would leave a 10% tip.

15% is for "just OK" service.

Worst story I've heard - old folks who leave a "I'm on a fixed income and can't tip, so sorry" PRINTED BUSINESS CARD in lieu of a tip! Here's a tip for diners: if you can't afford to tip, don't go to a sit down restaurant! Get it to go, or go to a walkup counter!
+5

Good post! Couldn't agree more...

Old 04-09-2012, 09:03 AM

329 posts, read 775,385 times
22 pages on this, WOW!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:08 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Sorry, 15% is all you'll get from me.
I bet you get out the calculator and don't tip on the sales tax or alcohol either, right?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:22 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solgal View Post
I am compelled to write this post. I know this is subject which can bring alot of negative comments about "bad servers who need to do a better job" or "don't like it, get a real job" etc. Simply trying to get the word out, if you go to a nice place for dinner and get great service (a smiling, helpful person who keeps your water glass full 90% of the time and brings your drinks and food in a timely manner), please tip more than 15% of your bill. That tip was good 20+ years ago, the minimum tip these days is 18%. If you have a great time and want to show it leave 20%. I am truly shocked at the volume of 15% tippers in the area who will say to their server "you were great, thank you so much" then leave 15%. Please spread the word.
"Nice place" and "great service" are subjective terms. Maybe this is one reason why you've received so many responses (This one is #220 !) I can assure you that if I left a 15% tip, it's because the service was just average. I follow US industry standards for other service levels: 10% for poor service and 20%-25% for excellent service. If I receive service below expectation, I ask to speak with a manager in charge and explain my dissatisfaction; but I always leave a tip.

I've worked in hospitality in several different capacities and I know it's a thankless industry. At the server level, I'd try to be grateful for any tip at all due to varying customs. Which brings up another point. With the transient population in Florida, you cannot assume that your customers know how much you make or tipping policies. Of course, those who care will check first. Have you ever been on a large cruise ship? Passengers are given a card with a suggested tipping amount for each of the service positions.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 04-09-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 04-09-2012, 09:23 AM

265 posts, read 975,119 times
I cut my teeth in foodservice for over a decade including time as a corporate trainer for a pretty well known restaurant chain. I remember when a family of 3 could eat for $20 including the tip. Nowadays, that number is $30 or more between entrees and a few sodas without a tip. With the increasing menu prices those people in foodservice have gotten a raise due to the minimum wage increase and also by virtue of the 15% tip rule. If anything, I'd argue that 15% should be reserved for exceptional service. Let's keep in mind that even a mediocre waiter/waitress can monitor 3-4 tables at a time. I know college grads that cant get $20 an hour right now, why should a server at Applebees demand such a premium?

Old 04-09-2012, 12:00 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
"Customize" our dinner. lmao. We're not tricking out some rice-burner Mistubishi or something. We're giving you a food order. You write it down and take it to the guy who actually does a little work (cook).

If you can't get by on what we generously tip you for low-level work, find a new job or stop whining.

Oh I get by just fine trust me. No whining here. I pay my bills and have plenty of money to play with. Don't hate me because I'm talented and beautiful..

Old 04-09-2012, 12:27 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,993 times
^

Exactly what I thought of when I opened this thread.

I pulled out the world's smallest violin and began to play for all those whining in this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay