Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:10 AM

53 posts, read 98,979 times

Advertisements

Hi! Well, visited FL since my hubby wants to relocate. We are interested in the Lutz area. We have 3 kids (11, 9 & 4). How friendly the elementary school is (Schwarzkopf)! And apparently Martinez Middle School & Steinbreener HS are also good schools! Did go to Palm Harbor... Was not for me liked Calusa Trace area , felt very 'at home'. Also drove around to heritage harbor area & cheval, liked these areas, too! went to shopping mall in area and my how people are friendly and was able to gain little more info on lutz area. We are thinking of moving next year 2013 after selling our home here in LI, NY. Will be renting first. Thinking this might be our final destination. Any opinions???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:17 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times
Great area! I have nothing bad to say about it if this is the living you're looking for. We lived in Cheval, and are planning to go back! LOL LOTS of New Yorkers in Herritage Harbor...and Cheval...You "will" feel like home indeed!

I don't know what you mean by "friendly" as far as the school goes!? what does that mean?

Old 04-12-2012, 11:44 AM

Lol... I went into the school just to ask questions regarding enrollment and felt the staff was very approachable. Will not name school, but did go to another school and found the staff to be somewhat 'unapproachable' if you will... Do you know anything about the carlusa trace area? Did you say you're going back? Are you back in NY?? Sorry for million questions!

Old 04-12-2012, 11:47 AM

I tried to PM you, but it won't let me......

Yes your impression is correct. They are nice by comparison.
Calusa Trace is great.

Schools are very nice up there. The HS is brand new.

We're in PA, but looking to come back.

I miss the tour...Grrr

Last edited by algia; 04-12-2012 at 12:37 PM..

Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
Drove past Steinbrenner High yesterday while going to the Champions Tour event up at TPC Lutz. I really like that area - schools "look" nice (not sure what quality education is coming out of them). I like the feel to the area -

Old 04-12-2012, 01:36 PM

Yeah... As far as education... In no disrespect to Florida (as I may be a Floridian soon enough!) the education is not that great as let's say NY. But from what I can see from the websites it is one of the better schools. As I see it , ultimately the parenting influences education. You can have a very good school but if the child is not interested and there is no 'push' from the parents then a good school means nothing. But obviously, we as parents try and give the best to our 'little ones'

Pm??? I don't know what that is??? I'll go into settings

Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM

Guess what, (now that I have up north 10 rated school to compare to 10 rated school in Florida per greatschools.org ratings) education is not bad for normal children in either place.

Like you said, the resources are more than available, is HOW you use them that matters. Matter of fact, this is #1 reason for us to move back, because up here, while the school is great for my daughter, (just as the one in FL was) it is AWFUL for my son who is PDD-NOS. So for him it is bad everywhere we go. And what's worst, is that there are no resources for us parents to know which school is treating these kids with care and respect, and truly works with them to reach their potential. There are no statistics available, even though there is 1 in 88 children now with Autism, and 1 in 54 boys.

This whole thing about education being bad in FL is a hoax..it is not. What makes it "look bad" are the people in it...you have questionable teachers, who complain about resources when the thing is, there are so many websites out there, that I don't know how anyone can ever complain about "resources"! I changed my opinion 180 after this experience...

Now if we could find two jobs really fast, we'd move there yesterday, or at least one...I am done having my son subject to the antics up here.

The other thing is that I could care less about the front desk personnel....maybe they had their period or something, it is truly hard to judge if you only met them once or twice. Who cares, I send my kid to school to learn and study, not socialize with the staff!

PM means private message.

You can't go wrong with either schools in 33558 zip. The key is to be on top of the kid, and make sure they "fully understand" what is being taught. If they don't, then you start having problems. Remember those tests they do...many fail because they can't either speak English well enough, or because there is nobody to do homework with them at home...if they're being bounced between school/after school etc etc and by the time they actually get home its 6:30pm, good luck getting anything out of them at that hour! That's how I see it. I stayed home so I can make sure they do "understand" what they learned, and don't learn automatically just to pass some test. That is detrimental and will have consequences later on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccplacez View Post
Yeah... As far as education... In no disrespect to Florida (as I may be a Floridian soon enough!) the education is not that great as let's say NY. But from what I can see from the websites it is one of the better schools. As I see it , ultimately the parenting influences education. You can have a very good school but if the child is not interested and there is no 'push' from the parents then a good school means nothing. But obviously, we as parents try and give the best to our 'little ones'

Pm??? I don't know what that is??? I'll go into settings

Old 04-12-2012, 05:29 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,318,550 times
Florida has a lot of stupid kids with stupid parents who have no desire to improve their situation in life or raise the 3-6 kids they had. The schools in your area have a relatively low percentage of these type of people/kids.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:44 PM

That's one of the reasons why I am holding out for the year because my youngest also is receiving services and I have to say that the district I am in is one where people move to because of how caring it is I know how worrisome it can be (although my daughter does not have PDD, she was almost diagnosed with it and continues to receive special education)...

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement because I am scared of moving but am able to see the positive! Good luck to you!

Tried to pm you, too but didn't know how to do it!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:18 PM

Well, like I said, in FL just like pretty much everywhere else it is a combination between what is done at school, and what parents do at home.

You can't go wrong with either one of those two schools tho. Apply for KidCare and also CMS Children's Medical Services
Which covers all the special needs (speech therapy, behavior etc) and you're all set.
He had speech at school, and also outside of school twice a week, which helped him a lot "communication" wise. Now, he doesn't have anything outside school, and he's in school half a day or 2 hours for Kindergarten. I almost want him to repeat Kindergarten because I feel he lost so much.

See pick about PM, click on send a direct message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccplacez View Post
That's one of the reasons why I am holding out for the year because my youngest also is receiving services and I have to say that the district I am in is one where people move to because of how caring it is I know how worrisome it can be (although my daughter does not have PDD, she was almost diagnosed with it and continues to receive special education)...

Thanks so much for the words of encouragement because I am scared of moving but am able to see the positive! Good luck to you!

Tried to pm you, too but didn't know how to do it!
Attached Thumbnails
NY family of 5 moving to Lutz, FL... Any opinions???-region-capture-3.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay