Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 03:17 PM

5,023 posts, read 7,225,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
That's only eight degrees difference - would that really affect outdoor activity that much ?
Right now, the heat index in Charlotte is 83 degrees. Tampa is 93. Other than competitive sweating, what outdoor activity do you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 03:19 PM

4,479 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Roscoe, those 8 degrees make a HUGE difference. 84 degrees feels like heaven. 92 degrees feels like hell.

In addition, 84 degrees in Charlotte, where the sun is less intense, feels really nice. While the same 84 degrees here feels hotter, because the sun is more intense. Now make it 92 degrees, and I don't want to be anywhere except a dark place with A/C.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:21 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
I think the RNC people picked August purposely to assure that not many ppl would be out "protesting" their moronisms, because the flip side of that is that they are a bunch of uneducated morons who didn't know what kind of weather Tampa gets in August. Take your pick.

(All though I have to say that comparing with last August, this one doesn't seem as hot! "I"'VE been out biking last week, and this week, been in Siesta Key Sunday for over 9 hours! fantastic day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The high temperature today in Charlotte is 84.

The high temperature today in Tampa is 92.

That is the one major explanation neeeded for why Charlotte streets are full of people, and Tampa streets are not. But of course the idiotic Tampa Bay Times couldn't deduct that on their own.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:22 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Not at the beach...92 feels awful in the parking lot at Publix...but by the beach it doesn't feel bad at all.

Quote:
Roscoe, those 8 degrees make a HUGE difference. 84 degrees feels like heaven. 92 degrees feels like hell.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,623,481 times
Quote:

In addition, 84 degrees in Charlotte, where the sun is less intense, feels really nice. While the same 84 degrees here feels hotter, because the sun is more intense. Now make it 92 degrees, and I don't want to be anywhere except a dark place with A/C.
Most of NC is usually hotter than FL in August. The only reason it's 84° in Charlotte is because they are getting the remnants of Isaac.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:50 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Weather has been beautiful here in Sarasota the past three days - high 80s low 90s, but lower humidity and a beautiful coastal breeze. Been outside a lot, riding bike and mowing lawn, feels great! I checked the weather for Charlotte and their temps almost the same but higher humidity, and no breeze.

Old 09-04-2012, 05:31 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Maybe the RNC picked Tampa because it is a key state in this Election. It is a Swing State. So what did they do, the brought the MONEY HERE!! I think it was great that they had it hear. It brought a boom for the local economy and we can always use that.

As far as not being outside for 8 months, I am not sure about that one. Mid June, July, August and most of September then we will be back to where I THINK IT IS PERFECT!!!

What do we have here? World class beaches, a beautiful downtown, Major Sports, Big Time College Sports, great resturants, PHENOMENAL WEATHER (for 9 months out of the year , and many other things.

LOVE THE COMMENTS: If you don't like it you can leave and why not brag about your home city!! GREAT STUFF!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 05:47 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
its too easy to bash Tampa. its so easy that its not even really bashing its more like simply pointing out the obvious. bashing tampa is like making fun of the ethiopian economy

Old 09-04-2012, 06:03 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
It is great to see someone here actually has a thought process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
Maybe the RNC picked Tampa because it is a key state in this Election. It is a Swing State. So what did they do, the brought the MONEY HERE!! I think it was great that they had it hear. It brought a boom for the local economy and we can always use that.

As far as not being outside for 8 months, I am not sure about that one. Mid June, July, August and most of September then we will be back to where I THINK IT IS PERFECT!!!

What do we have here? World class beaches, a beautiful downtown, Major Sports, Big Time College Sports, great resturants, PHENOMENAL WEATHER (for 9 months out of the year , and many other things.

LOVE THE COMMENTS: If you don't like it you can leave and why not brag about your home city!! GREAT STUFF!!!

Old 09-04-2012, 06:13 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Not at the beach...92 feels awful in the parking lot at Publix...but by the beach it doesn't feel bad at all.

Since when did America turn into a nation of wimps ?
The problem in Florida is that too many fat people spend too much time in air-conditioned rooms instead of getting outside in the glorious heat and sunshine, sweating a bit more and eating a lot less.
92 degrees is fine if you let your body get accustomed to it and learn how to cope with it instead of admitting defeat at the first hint of humidity.
Open your windows, learn to use shade, invest in some tropical fans instead of artificially trying to kid your body by sitting in the equivalant of a freezer.
How do you think people in really hot and humid places such as Asia manage to survive ? Drinking plenty of water instead of a gallon of soda a day is a start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay