Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 01:44 PM

82 posts, read 207,374 times

Advertisements

Time is nearing for relocation. House has been on the market for two months so I'm hoping it moves soon. I have a wife, three year old, one due in March, and rental income up to say $1500. Of course would like it less than that if possible.

Would like to be within 45-50 minutes of USF/Moffitt since I will be working near there. On my own schedule so that time frame/commute can be for 5am or 8pm. I can avoid the heavy traffic periods. I'm kind of stuck with no realtor since the one I had lined up is mainly for sales only and not rentals per se, so I'm open to suggestions/help from the property managers on here too. I've made a commitment to no one. Looking for a minimum of 3/2 but would prefer 4/2. Of course would like a pool, but at a minimum a community pool and playground is a must. Don't care where with the exception of not an area like Temple Terrace.

So, give me your recommendations and likes and dislikes. Don't care if it's Wesley Chapel to Apollo beach, Citrus park, Brandon, Spring Hill, Westchase, etc. That is if it falls within the 45-50 minute commute time. I'll be here this weekend so i would like to at least drive around to these places and get a "feel" for them based on what people think. To be fair, I'm leaning towards the Lexington Oaks area as a good fit, maybe over to heritage Isles. I am told that Meadow Pointe has kind of gone down hill a bit with foreclosures and such. Just word of mouth is all. Which is why I'm writing this.

FWIW, I'm a research junky. I will have google maps, zillow, and 3 rental searches open zooming in and out of areas and reading reviews. Let me have it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 09:33 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,463,477 times
Wesley Chapel, New Tampa, Carrollwood, Land O Lakes, Trinity.

Some areas have been hit pretty hard with Foreclosures, but that should help your rental requirement. Investors are buying up everything 100K and below, you see those for rent now. There are plenty of places that match what you are looking for.

Last edited by Sunscape; 09-15-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 09-15-2012, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the reply Gulfer. So, do you have any idea how ofter Zillow is updated? Seems to be a good resource for "mapping" where rentals are, but sometimes I see the data is a bit dated. Also, is there a specific site that property managers like to post their listings on? I know realtor.com has listings, as well as rentals.com. Just curious if one is the preferred place. I know for something like buying a car, in the northeast for example, everyone uses cars.com. But cars.com is not nearly as popular down here. Just trying to pick your brain. Thanks again.

Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
The most up to date site for privately owned rentals in the Multiple Listing System is at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS. I just looked through the inventory and the best communities in my opinion are either Seven Oaks or Grand Hampton. Of course, this is my personal opinion and your tastes might vary. There are plenty in your price range either with a private pool or a community pool. If you are open to a townhouse, you can double your selection.

Lexington Oaks is okay if you're a golfer but you might want to check the demographics. The houses in Heritage Isles were all built by Lennar/US Homes which is okay, but I thought many of the homes I saw recently were poorly built, e.g., leaking windows, soffit/fascia damage, etc. Again, my opinion only.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Thank you very much. I do understand how real estate agents are only concerned with sales since that's where they make their money so I appreciate both of you taking the time to help me. One of the difficult things is having a 3 and a half year old. I would ideally like my rental location be the same area as i will eventually buy. That way the friends my son makes will not be gone due to out moving in another year....

I'll check out both the places you mentioned for sure. Oh, and yes, I'm a golfer which is why my selfish searches have always included communities like that.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:13 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
I work at USF Health and live in Tampa Palms. It takes me with traffic 15 minutes, 10 minutes without. We have a community pool and a small exercise room. We have the YMCA nearby as well. It is an older community, so the homes may need updating. FYI, the country clubs in Tampa Palms and Hunters Green require a membership. It is pricey as well. Tampa Palms has a very good golf course.

I would also recommend Seven Oaks (Wesley Chapel). I think it is a nicer community than Lexington Oaks. I don't think they have golfing. Seven Oaks housing has gone up since the soon to be opened Florida Hospital across the street.

You did not give a lot of information that would be helpful in your decision. Do you prefer deed restricted communities or do you want more freedom to do what you want with your property. Do you have kids, so schooling would be a factor. Do you like more country or you do like more suburban or even urban environment (Hyde Park area). What is your housing budget like, buying or rental, etc.

Old 09-15-2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
You did not give a lot of information that would be helpful in your decision. Do you prefer deed restricted communities or do you want more freedom to do what you want with your property. Do you have kids, so schooling would be a factor. Do you like more country or you do like more suburban or even urban environment (Hyde Park area). What is your housing budget like, buying or rental, etc.
I think it's in my first post or a subsequent post but I'll list it again. Don't care if it's gated or not since I will be renting at first. Would prefer a newer house, although I realize that limits me to the "communities" most likely. I've had older houses and I'm not into the "charm" any more. $1500 would be my max for rent. 3 1/2 year old so school would need to be good since we'd be on the verge of Kindergarten prior to a lease being up. I am looking for safe as possible since i will be traveling for work. Also looking for someplace with things to do for the wife and little man while I am gone. I see most places include lawn care. Curious if the owner pays the HOA fee in their mortgages via an escrow account or if the tenants are typically responsible. I assuming the first thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay