Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 PM

8 posts, read 26,154 times

Advertisements

Partner and I are looking to move to Tampa, buy a small, inexpensive house, and settle down for a while. We are not wealthy by any means. I need to find a university/college teaching gig OR a news/publishing gig. She is a very experienced interpreter Eng< > Sp.

We know about Boat & SCUBA West, but would appreciate some insights into employment prospects, safer areas of town for buying starter houses, etc. Tampa is attractive because it reminds us of New Orleans/Havana in some ways.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2007, 03:47 AM

367 posts, read 1,688,080 times
Tough one this what's inexpensive? If you want something that reminds you of NO or Havana, then you should be in older districts, they are not necessarily low price if you want a safer location. There are quite a few schools around and if you have the qualifications, particularly if you have a language, maybe on of the prep schools or IB magnet schools might work for you. St Pete Times is a great paper, and old NE St Pete is a great place, lots of turn of last century homes, by water and lots of trees, verypretty, and quite a nice cultural center too.

Old 10-17-2007, 06:40 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,606,138 times
Default Seminole Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theH20 View Post
Partner and I are looking to move to Tampa, buy a small, inexpensive house, and settle down for a while. We are not wealthy by any means. I need to find a university/college teaching gig OR a news/publishing gig. She is a very experienced interpreter Eng< > Sp.

We know about Boat & SCUBA West, but would appreciate some insights into employment prospects, safer areas of town for buying starter houses, etc. Tampa is attractive because it reminds us of New Orleans/Havana in some ways.

Thanks so much!
To me, your description sounds like Seminole Heights in Tampa.

There are some nice affordable homes ($$) interspersed between old bungalows ($$$). Living in Seminole heights would put you in between the University of South Florida and the University of Tampa. There are several satellite campuses around as well. Seminole Heights is also convenient to the Tampa Bay Business Journal, Tampa Tribune, St Petersburg Times Tampa, and several local broadcasting stations.

You might also consider YBOR, though it's pretty far south. Much of the architecture has the NO style.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:39 AM

272 posts, read 1,531,970 times
There is no shortage of bungalows or Spanish mission style in the either Tampa or Pinellas Co. unfortunately a lot of the older neighborhoods are not the nicest areas to live in and houses built prior to 1950 were typically small. St. Pete in particular can be complicated. You can have a high end historic neighborhood and only 3 streets away is a total slum. There are fewer historical structures in Clearwater but there are also more middle class areas. You might consider Seminole Heights, Hyde Park, or Ybor City in Tampa or Old Northeast, North Downtown, Old Southeast, or Roser Park in St. Pete.

Here are a few zip codes you might want to check out. They are both old and new areas and some are higher priced than others but you never know what you'll find.

St. Pete: 33704, 33703, 33701
Gulfport: 33707, 33711
Safety Harbor: 34695, 33759
Oldsmar: 34677
Belleair: 33770, 33756
Tampa: 33673, 33605, 33606, 33609, 33629

Old 10-17-2007, 09:18 AM

428 posts, read 1,473,138 times
Kenwood in St. Pete is a historic bungalow neghborhood that's definitely on the upswing.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,210,483 times
I would agree with Seminole Heights,Ybor or South Tampa. You need to check here though once you decide as there are some areas that have higher crime.
There is also Riverside Heights that is near the Hillsborough river. Technically I think it is considered part of Seminole Heights.
I have a gay friend who loves S. Tampa area. You really won't have any problems any place you chose to live, just be sure it is in a 'safe' area

Old 10-18-2007, 06:29 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,154,399 times
I agree with Keeper's comments above. Also, I know that there is a part of Seminole Heights that is like a little G/L colony, not sure of the streets name but there is a small lake called Lake Roberta in the area, it's near the old Publix on Nebraska ave.- lots of charming older homes. You might enjoy the camaraderie there. Riverside Heights is a nice area, and crime seems to be lower than most of the other inner city neighborhoods. Ybor has the "party scene" going all the time, and is most like N.O., but keep in mind there is a lot of crime there, and it borders a serious ghetto. South Tampa is very nice, but will be the priciest area mentioned.

Good luck, I am sure you will find something to your liking, as there is plenty of variety here!

Old 10-18-2007, 07:28 AM

84 posts, read 384,600 times
Also, consider Gulfport which is close to USF-St. Pete, The Poynter Institute, St. Pete College, Eckerd College and plenty of friendly places to visit. Great arts district, restaurants, beaches and has a really close knit community.

Another choice would be the Dunedin area. There are 2 campuses to choose from, St. Pete College in Clearwater (just to the south) or in Tarpon Springs (just to the north) ,it has a great little historic area, close to beaches and only 20 minutes to Tampa if you want to visit.

Both cities are very open and friendly and are safe to walk around at night, breezes off the water make it cooler than Tampa and I think would fit the bill for you and your partner. I hope you both find exactly what you are looking for and Welcome to Florida!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay