Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 AM

895 posts, read 1,703,284 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a fair sized city in FL with a sizeable population of young intellectuals. I enjoy having people around me that I can bounce ideas off of and enjoy their company. I have been to St.Pete and although the downtown is not very big, I've heard that the live music scene is pretty decent and there are some nooks and crannys to find. I like mellow lounge areas where I can smoke fine Cubans. I'm curious to hear input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 11:36 AM

315 posts, read 652,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcsligar View Post
I am looking for a fair sized city in FL with a sizeable population of young intellectuals.
g/l with this lol

Old 01-14-2013, 11:46 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
Quote:
I am looking for a fair sized city in FL with a sizeable population of young intellectuals. I enjoy having people around me that I can bounce ideas off of and enjoy their company. I have been to St.Pete and although the downtown is not very big, I've heard that the live music scene is pretty decent and there are some nooks and crannys to find. I like mellow lounge areas where I can smoke fine Cubans. I'm curious to hear input.

I think you would enjoy downtown St. Pete. Can you visit there? It has a beautiful downtown with many museums, and Central Avenue is very bohemian with vintage stores, cafes, music venues etc. St. Pete has one of the oldest bookstores in Florida (Haslam's) where Jack Kerouac once hung out.

The Haslam Family and their Book Store

Anyway, I think it would be worth your while to check it all out. Good luck!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 PM

184 posts, read 248,637 times
What's with all the hate in this thread? Wow. I have a couple of friends that moved to St. Pete's (mid 20's) and they love it.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:02 AM

4,678 posts, read 9,891,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsligar View Post
i am looking for a fair sized city in fl with a sizeable population of young intellectuals.
LoL...

Old 02-06-2013, 04:17 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Quote:
No such thing here...been looking for that for the last 12 years all over FL...
Quote:
I enjoy having people around me that I can bounce ideas off of and enjoy their company.
The "culture" here is shopping, shopping, bragging about not paying high taxes, chain eating, and more shopping. Sorry. That crowd you're talking about is so minuscule that you'd need Hubble to find it.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:37 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Of course you can find what you are looking for in St. Pete or even Tampa as long as you find the places those folks hang out. There are lounges in the area where you can go to have a nice conversation where there are more laid back people. You will have to make an effort to meet people though they don't come knocking your door.

Just because some don't folks don't frequent those places doesn't mean they don't exist.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 AM

663 posts, read 1,144,555 times
I got to tell you, hanging out with a bunch people that think of Themselves as Intellectuals, sounds boring, if not obnoxious.

I'm probably just not smart enough to understand how great it would be to hang out with people that think so highly of themselves.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:42 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,300,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyff67 View Post
I got to tell you, hanging out with a bunch people that think of Themselves as Intellectuals, sounds boring, if not obnoxious.

I'm probably just not smart enough to understand how great it would be to hang out with people that think so highly of themselves.
In that case you probably don't know what an intellectual IS.
Intellectual - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
An intellectual is a person who primarily uses intelligence in either a professional or an individual capacity. As a substantive or adjective, it refers to the work product of such persons, to the so-called "life of the mind" generally, or to an aspect of something where learning, erudition, and informed and critical thinking are the focus, as in "the intellectual level of the discourse on the matter was not high".
Put it plainly: someone who enjoys talking about other things aside from how much food they can shove down their throats, diapers, what's for dinner, and how many shiny rims they can add on their cars before they look like obnoxious spaceships!

What you are referring to is the "keep up with the Jonse's" type who thinks highly of themselves based on material possessions! Honey BooBoo's........

Old 02-06-2013, 08:06 AM

158 posts, read 227,561 times
Quote:
I like mellow lounge areas where I can smoke fine Cubans. I'm curious to hear input.
Drinking and smoking will shorten your lifespan significantly. Not too intellectual in my book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay