Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 09:13 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Without Citizens, there would be a WHOLE LOT of properties here that would be unsellable, mortages require insurance, and some properties could not be insured if it weren't for Citizens. I have had Citizens before, it's not a bad company.
Please refer to another response I have in the insurance thread. It covers this nicely.

Also, I had Citizens and I feel they are horrible. YMMV, as obviously it does and that's okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 4,893 times
Default Spring Hill (Pasco)

Cross Bar Wellfield has been pumping water from the aquifer since the 1980s. Even after the Water Wars they are pumping on average 400 million gallons of water each month and sending it to Pinellas County. Within the cone of influence is Lago Verde Sand Mine. Four Pasco County commissioners just approved a limestone blasting permit for the mine. The mine abuts our subdivision. Literally, it abuts our subdivision and yet the County based the approval on the mine that it is in an isolated area. We are afraid there will be sinkholes, our wells will be contaminated, dust, gases, noise from transportation, conveyors, crushers for 15 years. Does anyone know of sinkholes already in this area?

Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchatzman View Post
Cross Bar Wellfield has been pumping water from the aquifer since the 1980s. Even after the Water Wars they are pumping on average 400 million gallons of water each month and sending it to Pinellas County. Within the cone of influence is Lago Verde Sand Mine. Four Pasco County commissioners just approved a limestone blasting permit for the mine. The mine abuts our subdivision. Literally, it abuts our subdivision and yet the County based the approval on the mine that it is in an isolated area. We are afraid there will be sinkholes, our wells will be contaminated, dust, gases, noise from transportation, conveyors, crushers for 15 years. Does anyone know of sinkholes already in this area?
The area has a history of sinkhole activity. I would be considered as well.

The difficult thing though is trying to determine how many were actual sinkholes and how many were fraud.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
The area has a history of sinkhole activity. I would be considered as well.

The difficult thing though is trying to determine how many were actual sinkholes and how many were fraud.

I haven't been successful in finding many filed sinkholes in this area. I know around Crews Lake and in Crews Lake there are sinkholes, but nothing is verified. Even with Swiftmud doing a clean-up of a huge sinkhole in Crews Lake, they didn't maintain records. It just happened to be mentioned in a newspaper article. This area is rural and, apparently, if it isn't structural damage, they don't bother to log sinkholes. I checked the FL Sinkhole map and contacted them, but again it has more to do with structure damage. Any leads I am missing?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:37 PM

Does anyone know of a real estate agent or another business that can professionally tell how much a home and property would be devalued if a limestone blasting permit was approved within a mile of the home? This would be in Pasco County.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:50 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
we have a lot of real estate agents on this forum, surprised not one has answered

Old 01-13-2014, 12:36 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSchatzman View Post
Does anyone know of a real estate agent or another business that can professionally tell how much a home and property would be devalued if a limestone blasting permit was approved within a mile of the home? This would be in Pasco County.
We lived in Pasco County less than a mile away from a active limestone quarry. We heard blasting quite often. I'm not sure if it affected the value of my house. I never heard any of the neighbors even talk about it. The answer to this will be interesting.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:05 AM

8 posts, read 11,191 times
Default Spring Hillian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
One problem is you can have a sinkhole inspection done on Tuesday and have a catastrophic collapse on Friday.
Could you give me some advice on Spring Hill..mom lives in 55+ community in Brooksville so I kind of know that area. My husband has transferred to Tampa Airport we are in PA in the process of selling and coming there. THe homes are nice for the price in Spring Hill. I just want to know about this sinkhole issue and if the schools are good. Mixed reviews I see so looking for someone who knows the area. Wesley chapel was other choice but property much smaller and more $.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:33 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I like SH. Yes, you can get some great deals on homes here now. Sinkholes happen. You really cant predict them.

You could have houses in a large radius from yours that never had a sinkhole and poof, you could have one out of the blue.

A sinkhole insurance coverage is available in addition to the catastrophic coverage in home owners insurance policies in FL.

I cant comment on the schools since I dont have anyone in my family using them right now.

Overall, its a nice area with a lot of nature around it. Outdoor activities are popular.

Will your husband work at the international airport in Tampa or at Brooksville?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:02 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,615,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn123 View Post
Could you give me some advice on Spring Hill..mom lives in 55+ community in Brooksville so I kind of know that area. My husband has transferred to Tampa Airport we are in PA in the process of selling and coming there. THe homes are nice for the price in Spring Hill. I just want to know about this sinkhole issue and if the schools are good. Mixed reviews I see so looking for someone who knows the area. Wesley chapel was other choice but property much smaller and more $.
I have lived in SH and Wesley Chapel. They are very different in a lot of ways. It depends on what your needs and wants are in a place to live. Schools are better in WC, lots more shopping and easier/quicker to get to Tampa from WC. I have made a lot more friends in my community living in WC than SH. I knew a few people that had major sinkhole problems with their homes in SH. I have only met one person in WC that claimed a sinkhole claim in WC and they were just trying to get out of their house being foreclosed on. It turned out not to be a sinkhole. In SH I have known people that had to move out of their homes due to sinkholes. It is a gamble. I am sure that it is not as bad as some say in regards to sinkholes because people are filing false claims but I have seen the damage first hand to homes that had sinkholes in SH so I know it is real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay