Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,899,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by overit2 View Post
Prius, I'm sorry but you and everyone here saying don't drinkg ANYTHING in drive...it's UNREALISTIC. As long as bars, restaurants exist people will drink to SOME level...punishing someone for a crime they MAY have committed in insane and unconstitutional IMO.
No, it is very easy to understand.

If you plan on drinking or smoking pot outside your home or not where you will be staying either have a designated driver or take a cab. Take personal responsibility. Driving while impaired puts INNOCENT people at risk. I have ZERO tolerance for this and I would be extremely hard core with the punishment. There is ZERO reason to potentially end another person's life because someone can't deal with their own life and has to drink/smoke themselves into fake happiness.

BTW - it is AGAINST the law to drive while under the influence. It IS constitutional to punish those who break the law. It's that simple.

If I had my way, I would position police officers outside of every single bar in this country and pull every single one of them over to see if they are driving while under the influence. I would end the problem right then and there, PRIOR to some freaking loser moron taking another innocent life.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:07 AM

226 posts, read 339,670 times
Well gladly you're not in charge, this is loss of personal freedom as well. So what, do you think we should shut down every bar and restaurant surving alcohol too as to help?

Just becasue you don't drink perhaps does NOT make it ok to demonize drinkers- Drinking has been around since the beginning of time, and if you are a believer..even JESUS Himself turning water into wine (His first miracel btw) as he knew the EFFECTS of such and never shunned people drinking for celebration, fun or socially (He did have words of caution to habitual drunkards, but out of concern as He obviously knew the dangers of alcoholism)

Can a husband/wife not go out and celebrate a bday/anniversary or have a night out with friends unless they take a cab and add another 100 to the bill, besides perhaps the meal and babysitting?? It's unrealistic. Can two co-workers not stop for a quick beer or two after work, drive home NOT innebriated, swerving or hitting anyone...and not be made to ruin the rest of their lives based on a 'what could have' or 'at risk'. Your assumptions of ALL these people putting innocents at risk is spoon fed propaganda you bought. Which is understandable, it's been preached enough.

Not everyone is always driving WITH somebody or has people on car to drive them around, not everybody can afford a 50 cab drive on the spot-and 50 back to get the car.

AS I SAID, if the IDEA is to provide safety-then provide AFFORDABLE, safe, convenient public transportation as they do in other countries. Somebody citing what communist or facsist countries do in a link is irrelevant, the majority of other countries have transportation other then cars (like we rely so heavily on this country for) for options.

Honestly-the other idea of 'driving as priviledge' -may be what it's currently mandated as being, but it is UNREALISTIC and wrong. Most people NEED their cars to survive, to work, etc. There IS NO FLIPPING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS, to MAKE cars a 'priviledge' is idiotic...they are as necessary to survival as AIR why don't people get that!

NOW, if you want a communist country or country with no personal freedoms that allows for zero tolerance, no alcohol served anywhere and nobody consuming any kind of 'mind altering' susbtance I suggest N. Korea or S. Arabia for example.

As long as this country is founded on LIBERTY those with the will to still care will still VOICE strongly and fight this current trend to infringe on our rights, bend the constitution to will and mess up YOUR freedoms. From seatbelt laws, to owners allowing smoking in their OWN personal restaurants, to road blocks, to the Patriot Act, to body search invasions at the airport against your will....

I will end with this quote that goes for SO Much wrong with our country today: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. "

Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Well gladly you're not in charge, this is loss of personal freedom as well. So what, do you think we should shut down every bar and restaurant surving alcohol too as to help?

Just becasue you don't drink perhaps does NOT make it ok to demonize drinkers- Drinking has been around since the beginning of time, and if you are a believer..even JESUS Himself turning water into wine (His first miracel btw) as he knew the EFFECTS of such and never shunned people drinking for celebration, fun or socially (He did have words of caution to habitual drunkards, but out of concern as He obviously knew the dangers of alcoholism)

Can a husband/wife not go out and celebrate a bday/anniversary or have a night out with friends unless they take a cab and add another 100 to the bill, besides perhaps the meal and babysitting?? It's unrealistic. Can two co-workers not stop for a quick beer or two after work, drive home NOT innebriated, swerving or hitting anyone...and not be made to ruin the rest of their lives based on a 'what could have' or 'at risk'. Your assumptions of ALL these people putting innocents at risk is spoon fed propaganda you bought. Which is understandable, it's been preached enough.

Not everyone is always driving WITH somebody or has people on car to drive them around, not everybody can afford a 50 cab drive on the spot-and 50 back to get the car.

AS I SAID, if the IDEA is to provide safety-then provide AFFORDABLE, safe, convenient public transportation as they do in other countries. Somebody citing what communist or facsist countries do in a link is irrelevant, the majority of other countries have transportation other then cars (like we rely so heavily on this country for) for options.

Honestly-the other idea of 'driving as priviledge' -may be what it's currently mandated as being, but it is UNREALISTIC and wrong. Most people NEED their cars to survive, to work, etc. There IS NO FLIPPING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION OPTIONS, to MAKE cars a 'priviledge' is idiotic...they are as necessary to survival as AIR why don't people get that!

NOW, if you want a communist country or country with no personal freedoms that allows for zero tolerance, no alcohol served anywhere and nobody consuming any kind of 'mind altering' susbtance I suggest N. Korea or S. Arabia for example.

As long as this country is founded on LIBERTY those with the will to still care will still VOICE strongly and fight this current trend to infringe on our rights, bend the constitution to will and mess up YOUR freedoms. From seatbelt laws, to owners allowing smoking in their OWN personal restaurants, to road blocks, to the Patriot Act, to body search invasions at the airport against your will....

I will end with this quote that goes for SO Much wrong with our country today: "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. "
I have no problem with someone having a glass of wine or a beer. That is their right and I couldn't care either way. I have a MAJOR problem with people driving UNDER THE INFLUENCE and putting INNOCENT lives at risk.

So many people "claim" they can handle their booze or pot and drive safely. They are fools and unfortunately when an accident happens...the fool lives and the innocent victim dies.

Again...I am in favor of legalized pot, along with alcohol. I want nothing to do with either, but I believe they should be legal. But I also believe it is completely idiotic, stupid and moronic to allow people to operate dangerous motor vehicles with altered states of mind or slowed reactions/judgement. Heck, I think many seniors should have their right to operate a vehicle revoked, as their judgement and reflexes are off.

Trust me...as soon as YOUR child is killed by some jack-a$$ under the influence, you will have a change of heart.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,008,926 times
Quote:

I know a guy who got his second DUI, and they still gave him a restricted license, meaning he can go to work, so to your point i do think judges see it as a necessity, although there are a lot of poor people who can;t afford cars and use public transportation, it might not be convenient but it can be done. Drunk driving laws are just that for people driving drunk, not the guy who had a drink or two. I have personally been pulled over and done both Breathalyzer and sobriety test and in all instances have been let go. There has to be a benchmark as far as when you are legally impaired, I guess I am not sure what you are suggesting, is it that we should be allowed to drive however we want as long as we don't cause an accident or drive recklessly? You are dismissing science, we know that a BAC of .08 impairs your driving skills, and you shouldn't drive like that because its dangerous, its part of the social contract

Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
So you admit you were legally drunk and dtiving? So why be bitter. You were wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
So YOU were illegally driving a dangerous vehicle under the influence, putting INNOCENT people at risk, yet somehow you justify this to make YOU the victim here? THIS is why we need a no tolerance policy. Obviously people cannot be responsible on their own!

It's real simple folks. If you are going to drink or smoke pot.....DON'T FREAKIN' DRIVE! It isn't that hard to understand!

What is wrong with people today? How many "accidents" need to happen before people wake up? Good Lord!
I was hardly "drunk" infact i wasnt even buzzed, 3 drinks in 2 hours is hardly a risk, but I rarely drink anyway. Again, i find it hard to find moving my car a whopping 20 feet down my driveway and back in put anyone in any "risk" especially considering it was on a barren road that the cop turned onto as i was pulling back into my driveway. Yes, i am bitter. As i said, i was NOT drunk nor even remotely close to it. The cop probably just needed to fill his night time quota.

So, how was i drunk?? Its not like I keep a breathalizer in my house. I passed the field sobriety test just fine and i was .02 over the limit, what's that half a beer? Seriously. So, I am the bad person because I had a couple drinks at home, moved my car for 30 seconds on a non-busy road even though I was not even buzzed/inebriated ? Puh leez.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:04 PM

Dunnd, I think my point is that the BAC level lowering approach is not the right one.

Reason being, more cops on roadblocks, less monitoring reckless/intoxicated drivers.

I have explained a rising BAC...I have explained entrapment by fishy police actions (so my first post on this thread)...my fiance DID blow 0.05 TWICE and passed a field sobriety test..and we still have had our lives destroyed because he 'refused' a thirst testing. Once at the station-the RISING BAC from a blood test (with warrants waiting on hand for them) showed 0.09.

Do you know HOW MANY people this happens to?

You have to understand that for the counties this is about money, not safer roads. Otherwise, yes, I agree with you entirely.

And apparently the DMV, judges don't see it as a necessity for my fiance to have a livelihood, pick up his child for visitation, transport her, go to work (has his own business) go to school in the evenings. He has to be 100pct fully transported by me, and I work and have two children....so he pretty much has lost everything, not to mention the financial hit for me as well. The only good thing is he has a few things to sell to pay off exorbitant fines that he's not allowed a permit to WORK to afford.

OH, pay these fines every month, do community service, come see your probation officer 20miles away... but oh...yeah you have no way to transport yourself to get there or PAY these...This is done for a purpose, because if you VIOLATE 'probation' by not paying, or driving anyway and risk getting caught, they keep YOU and MONEY coming in the system longer. So there is NO incentive to help people put their lives back together, they don't WANT you to, you're payroll now.

They could care less that this may take money from mouths of children either. YES it destroys lives, it is too harsh, punishment does not fit the 'crime' of 'supposed or possibly could have done to others'. This was a first time offense....this is because they want to make a point about 'refusal'. The administrative penalty higher then the CRIMINAL one...what does that tell you? I will stand on my views ALWAYS on roadblocks and cops arresting people in their driveways and on ALS suspensions...I do understand and accept dissenting and views of others that disagree, with respect.

What does it tell you that 11 states have outlawed roadblocks because THEY consider it unconstitutional? What does it tell you that those that do allow it, a good number have strict laws about PRE-announcing where they will be.

If you live in one of the worst states of the country for roadblocks/dui arrests you are screwed...welcome to GA..another reason I can't wait to leave this forsaken place.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
I was hardly "drunk" infact i wasnt even buzzed, 3 drinks in 2 hours is hardly a risk, but I rarely drink anyway. Again, i find it hard to find moving my car a whopping 20 feet down my driveway and back in put anyone in any "risk" especially considering it was on a barren road that the cop turned onto as i was pulling back into my driveway. Yes, i am bitter. As i said, i was NOT drunk nor even remotely close to it. The cop probably just needed to fill his night time quota.

So, how was i drunk?? Its not like I keep a breathalizer in my house. I passed the field sobriety test just fine and i was .02 over the limit, what's that half a beer? Seriously. So, I am the bad person because I had a couple drinks at home, moved my car for 30 seconds on a non-busy road even though I was not even buzzed/inebriated ? Puh leez.
The law has a limit. You admit you were over the limit. You are guilty and should pay the penalty for not obeying by the law.....PERIOD!

It's that simple. Next time, obey by the law. You are not exempt, no matter what you think.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,126,258 times
How did the idea of legalizing pot turn to drunk driving?

According to this statistic, NOBODY died of due to pot in 2009

Cause of death (Data from 2009 unless otherwise noted)1 Number All Causes, 2009 2,437,163 Diseases of Heart 599,413 Malignant Neoplasms 567,628 Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases 137,353 Cerebrovascular Diseases 128,842 Lack of Health Insurance3 (2005) 44,789 Poisoning 41,592 Drug Overdose (2010)2 38,329 Intentional Self-Harm (Suicide) 36,909 Septicemia 35,639 Motor Vehicle Accidents 34,485 Firearm Injuries 31,347 Alcohol-Induced 24,518 Pharmaceutical Drug Overdose (2010) 22,134 Illicit Drugs (2000) 17,0004 Homicide 16,799 Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) 9,406 Viral hepatitis 7,694 Cannabis (Marijuana) 0 -
See more at: Annual Causes of Death in the United States | Drug War Facts

Old 03-20-2013, 12:18 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,757,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
The law has a limit. You admit you were over the limit. You are guilty and should pay the penalty for not obeying by the law.....PERIOD!

It's that simple. Next time, obey by the law. You are not exempt, no matter what you think.
I did, and i still think its stupid. I dont drink but maybe 2x a year, so dont make me out to be a drunkard. I was over the limit, but the issue is I was NOT inebriated. I passed the field sobriety test with flying colors. Maybe this issue isnt as black and white as YOU seem to think it is.

Maybe their machine was faulty, who knows! I never even had a blood test done. The fact is, that if someone can pass field sobriety test, how drunk ARE they? What's the point in doing them if we ONLY stick to the number of a MACHINE?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:21 PM

People with this abide by the law or die...would you feel the same if your life was taken away for NOT causing harm to anyone-but because you COULD have killed somebody for driving 5 miles over the speed limit, or they 'saw' you texting and driving even if you weren't...or a HOST of other things that people break the law over not even consiously realizing.

The problem is...TOO MANY laws, and too strict, THAT is the issue. If you can sit here and tell me 'obey the law' while this country adds thousands of laws a day...and turn it into a total oppresive police state with a straight face? Then I say go joint the forces-they've certainly done a good job convincinv people it's for safety and their benefit and a 'good thing' to have more laws.

How do you feel about exorbitant fines in speed traps, CAMERAS catching your moves instead of a good ole police officer that saw somebody endangering others. I have a hard time with people shoving this 'you broke the law' in peoples faces when I GUARANTEE You they are breaking some law at any given time at some point...yet if the penalties imposed on them destroyed their lives they WOULD feel differently.

SPEEDING kills more then dui's...should we apply the same penalties and destory peoples lives because they 'could have' killed someone and put people at risk?

See, it's easy to start laws when it involves 'sinful' behavior and the 'bad criminals that had a couple drinks out'...so it's OK then to violate civil liberties and rights...then it moves towards other violations. It's repeatedly happened...and IS happening, with laws getting more restrictive and harsh.

People are ticketed exorbitant amounts for driving w/out their seatbelt from store A to store B in a strip mall area. Say you are in Publix shopping center, and drive down to the pizza place, and you didn't seatbelt it...TICKET, FINES...COMMON SENSE has gone on that window. TELL me it's not about money.

This is WE THE PEOPLE, not about laws and fines. Honestly, it is a shame what this country is turned into.

We can't keep saying 'but you broke the law' and keeping allowing more and more laws to creep into peoples personal freedom, rights to live a peaceful productive life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: