Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 05:14 PM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times

Advertisements

Just came back from Miami.,,, building -building- building. niceee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 06:32 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
So I was on Veterans recently and noticed that in the area next to Linebaugh they cut all the trees down from the off/on ramps!

Now I find this to be extremely WASTEFUL. These palm trees are quite expensive, and now they are all destroyed instead of being relocated elsewhere.

My suggestion is that next time these people are going to WASTE tax payers money like this, might as well don't plant anymore trees. Leave it empty. This was a huge waste. Those palm trees weren't even that old. Not cool.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Just came back from Miami.,,, building -building- building. niceee
Looks like Manhattan by the beach! Love it!

Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfer View Post
But the reality is, Tampa will lose the Rays without it. The old stadium will still sit there and the local economy will lose hundreds of millions of dollars a year. These stadiums pay for themselves over the years.

Then the "Rays" should built it, and not leave the old one to rot. Re-purpose that space for something else that brings value.
Look at this:
SkiDubai.com | Ski Dubai Snow Park

We're hot enough here to totally support something like this.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:17 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
So I was on Veterans recently and noticed that in the area next to Linebaugh they cut all the trees down from the off/on ramps!

Now I find this to be extremely WASTEFUL. These palm trees are quite expensive, and now they are all destroyed instead of being relocated elsewhere.

My suggestion is that next time these people are going to WASTE tax payers money like this, might as well don't plant anymore trees. Leave it empty. This was a huge waste. Those palm trees weren't even that old. Not cool.
It will cost more to "relocate" palm trees from that ramp to the new location. There might be a million reasons why they cut all trees. Sure enough, it's better not plant any more trees, but the problem is in standards - if per some standards trees need to be planted (so many per LF), it will be done.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
It will cost more to "relocate" palm trees from that ramp to the new location. There might be a million reasons why they cut all trees. Sure enough, it's better not plant any more trees, but the problem is in standards - if per some standards trees need to be planted (so many per LF), it will be done.
Its such a waste. It shouldn't cost more because after cutting these they still used trucks+gas to take them away. Its a wash. They should have either keep them there to replant them where they came from, or plant them somewhere else. At least they would have beautified another area rather than buy more.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:23 AM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Just to be fair Turnpike donated palm trees prev. http://www.floridasturnpike.com/Turn...ll08-final.pdf
To relocate large palm trees you need to find a place for this relocation within the reasonable distance.
Besides that, are you sure cutted palm trees were in good condition? There are a bunch of different trees diseases. Here is an example: http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/story...storyid=208145
Trust me, for any action related to tax payers money the authority has back up info to support their dicision. I have a feeling relocation you suggested was considered, but found not practical for some reasons.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Just to be fair Turnpike donated palm trees prev. http://www.floridasturnpike.com/Turn...ll08-final.pdf
To relocate large palm trees you need to find a place for this relocation within the reasonable distance.
Besides that, are you sure cutted palm trees were in good condition? There are a bunch of different trees diseases. Here is an example: Vomiting bug spreads palm tree-killing disease | wtsp.com
Trust me, for any action related to tax payers money the authority has back up info to support their dicision. I have a feeling relocation you suggested was considered, but found not practical for some reasons.

Interesting....

I don't know the "condition" they were in, it just seemed like a huge waste when I saw them all cut like that. It looks like they sprayed something there too to kill every living plant/weed around.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:42 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Oh come on. Darn if you do.. darn if you don't.

"Traffic here sucks" - So they cut down trees to build new road
"I can't believe they are cutting down trees" - They were donated and it's cheaper. Ever dug up a huge palm tree yourself?

And seriously.... build a ski resort in the Trop? Now see, the Trop has some great trees we can take out of there and put next to the Veterans. After all - more people use the Veterans than who go to the Trop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay