Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 41,072 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

This may already be somewhere on this forum- but can anyone provide a map or boundaries of safe areas (and unsafe areas) to live in St Pete? We're from the Boston area and I know "safe" is relative, but we have a 6 month old son and would like to walk and bike to destinations during the day and at night (night outings would consist of walking the dog mostly). My husband would be traveling a lot of the time as well, so I want to feel secure when doing these things alone. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
You would probably want to avoid an area bounded by 5th ave N and 28th ave S and 4th st and 49th st.

Moderator cut: snip

Last edited by Keeper; 06-06-2013 at 03:22 PM.. Reason: competing website

Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 AM

great, thank you!

Old 06-06-2013, 08:47 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,459,315 times
wow...

Old 06-06-2013, 09:42 AM

296 posts, read 658,041 times
Is there a lot of crime by Tropicana Field? How about by USFSP? I don't see how those areas can be crime ridden when downtown is just a few blocks away and its supposed to be so safe?

Old 06-06-2013, 09:54 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
[quote=jambo101;29897316]You would probably want to avoid an area bounded by 5th ave N and 28th ave S and 4th st and 49th st.
Moderator cut: snip

Jambo is correct about that neighborhood. This is a true ghetto, full of crime and you do not want to be anywhere near it. Unfortunately, yes, it is close to downtown but the crime for the most part stays within that neighborhood (known as "Midtown")

Last edited by Keeper; 06-06-2013 at 03:23 PM..

Old 06-06-2013, 11:44 AM

51 posts, read 89,848 times
What about Central Oak Park and Euclid/Woodlawn/Magnolia Heights?

I looked at the crime map, but I want to get a better sense of those areas from the locals. We're looking at areas assigned to the better elementary schools and those areas are assigned to Northwest and Sexton respectively. Thanks!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM
BBI

490 posts, read 939,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLVAMA View Post
Hi there,

This may already be somewhere on this forum- but can anyone provide a map or boundaries of safe areas (and unsafe areas) to live in St Pete? We're from the Boston area and I know "safe" is relative, but we have a 6 month old son and would like to walk and bike to destinations during the day and at night (night outings would consist of walking the dog mostly). My husband would be traveling a lot of the time as well, so I want to feel secure when doing these things alone. Thanks!
Two major socio-economic lines in town. The first is Central Avenue, which was the dividing line during segregation. It's still typically much poorer south of Central Ave (if you search for "southside," you'll find a lot of information). The second line isn't exactly a line, but no matter where you are in St. Pete, there's money near the water, and the further from the water you go, the poorer it is. On the east side of town, the "near the water line" is 4th Street. South end of town, Pinellas Point (south of 54th Ave S-ish) is fine. West side of town, Maximo, Clam Bayou, the Pasadenas, etc. are fine. But skip the area south of Central and not near the water.

When you say you want to walk to "destinations," I'm assuming you mean you want to walk to downtown. The rest of the city is just residential; it's basically been developed as suburban sprawl, with single family homes on 1/10 acre lots. If you want to be able to walk downtown, live in downtown (best part is the box bordered by the bay, 4th St, 5th Ave N and 5th Ave S) or one of the neighborhoods just north of it (nearer to the bay is better, and big price change when you cross 4th Street). You could also live in the Old Southeast (south of downtown, east of 4th St), but I'd want some buffer between my house and 4th Street since the neighborhood on the other side of it is rough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Is there a lot of crime by Tropicana Field? How about by USFSP? I don't see how those areas can be crime ridden when downtown is just a few blocks away and its supposed to be so safe?
There's normal dumb city petty crime just about everywhere in town. So if you can't deal with locking your car doors, etc., this isn't the right place for you. More generally, the neighborhoods here are small and there's significant socio-economic variability among them, even with respect to adjacent neighborhoods. I live in my favorite neighborhood in town (Old NE) and the very worst neighborhoods in town are only a couple dozen little suburban blocks south.

Anyway, when you say "by Tropicana Field," you're talking about a bunch of different neighborhoods. I wouldn't live south of the Trop, and then you've got a bunch of interstates around it. But I've never worried about walking from a Rays game to Fergs or anything like that. USFSP is fine. It's tucked in there, with water on a couple of sides and a nice part of downtown to the north. I wouldn't live much south of it, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by north__to__south View Post
What about Central Oak Park and Euclid/Woodlawn/Magnolia Heights?
Closer to the water means more money. Crescent Lake is nicer than Euclid is nicer than Woodlawn Oaks, etc. Not sure I've ever actually driven through Magnolia Heights, but Allendale (right next to it) is nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You would probably want to avoid an area bounded by 5th ave N and 28th ave S and 4th st and 49th st.
5th Ave S, not 5th Ave N. Otherwise, you're cutting off some nice parts of downtown, Grand Central, etc.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 PM

This is great info, I really appreciate this!

Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM

296 posts, read 658,041 times
Quote:
There's normal dumb city petty crime just about everywhere in town. So if you can't deal with locking your car doors, etc., this isn't the right place for you. More generally, the neighborhoods here are small and there's significant socio-economic variability among them, even with respect to adjacent neighborhoods. I live in my favorite neighborhood in town (Old NE) and the very worst neighborhoods in town are only a couple dozen little suburban blocks south.

Anyway, when you say "by Tropicana Field," you're talking about a bunch of different neighborhoods. I wouldn't live south of the Trop, and then you've got a bunch of interstates around it. But I've never worried about walking from a Rays game to Fergs or anything like that. USFSP is fine. It's tucked in there, with water on a couple of sides and a nice part of downtown to the north. I wouldn't live much south of it, though.
Thanks BBI, that's helpful. Where I'm looking is actually directly next to the Trop, like walk out the door you are looking at the Stadium. Any thoughts on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay