Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 09:41 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Maybe one day but that day is far off and online shopping is riseing two fold right now with no tax and free shipping. Who wants to go out into a crowed store when it's only a click away.
I have found some stores have items on line that they do not carry in the store. Home Depot for instance.
I found a printer on walmart.com for $26.00, free shipping to my local store. I saw the same exact printer on the shelf when I went to pick up my order. $49.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 10:21 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Anyway, this is a huge plus for dealing with Amazon in Florida, because if you buy on that site, they collect and remit the taxes for you, so you are in compliance. Buy elsewhere, and it's on you to file and remit the taxes.
I have noticed an odd thing lately. They collect taxes on some purchases and not on others......neither of which are food or clothes.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:53 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,129,435 times
Stores are finding out that they do not need brick and mortar stors, and people to staff them and rent. They can just sell online and just keep a warehouse. Pretty soon stores as we know them will just go away. Sears and Kmart will be the first IMO. They just will sell online. So there is a tax base lost for cities and states.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:15 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Stores are finding out that they do not need brick and mortar stors, and people to staff them and rent. They can just sell online and just keep a warehouse. Pretty soon stores as we know them will just go away. Sears and Kmart will be the first IMO. They just will sell online. So there is a tax base lost for cities and states.
Which is why the sales tax issue will get straightened out sooner rather than later. With the advances in technology, it wouldn't be that difficult to do.

But I don't think stores will ever go away completely.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I have noticed an odd thing lately. They collect taxes on some purchases and not on others......neither of which are food or clothes.
Hmm, yes, that is strange. It could depend on if what you're buying is merchant fulfilled rather than Amazon fulfilled. Some of these individual Amazon merchants may not be charging sales tax.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM

I have a friend who sells on Amazon, I'll have to ask him how that works. Some of the stuff he ships himself, some of it he sends to the Amazon fulfillment center for shipping through Amazon, it all depends on what the merch is.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:21 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Hmm, yes, that is strange. It could depend on if what you're buying is merchant fulfilled rather than Amazon fulfilled. Some of these individual Amazon merchants may not be charging sales tax.
I bet that is it.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 15,172 times
I wonder how many people are aware of the law that states they have to pay sales tax to the state for online purchases. I'm guessing a lot of folks aren't.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epeterd View Post
I wonder how many people are aware of the law that states they have to pay sales tax to the state for online purchases. I'm guessing a lot of folks aren't.
There are those who are aware of it, and pay the taxes. There are those who aren't aware. For example, much as I am not a fan of Marco Rubio, I saw him take down Rob Lorei, the local PBS radio & TV program director, interviewer and moderator, over this issue. This was a few years back when Rubio was still in the state legislature and proposed raising Florida sales taxes and eliminating the property tax. Lorei interviewed him on the issue and his line of attack was that those who lived close to the border with other states would just cross to buy things and avoid the sales tax, and if they weren't close to the border, they'd just shop on the internet. That's when Rubio smiled, looked at the camera and said "Did everyone know that if you purchase something via the internet, by law you are supposed to pay Florida sales tax on it?". That shut Lorei down fast, he was at a loss for words. But clearly, Lorei didn't know, and he's been sort of a public broadcasting servant for years.

Then there's those who know about it, but remain sort of willfully oblivious of it. I think it's not so much that people don't want to pay it, but the hassle involved in filing and remitting the money. If they made it easier to do, I think more people would pay it. Believe me, when I first contacted the state to find out what I needed to do, it was a real mess. The lady I spoke with started ranting at me "You HAVE to pay the tax". I let her go on and finally said quietly "I know that. How do I do it?" Then she calmed down. I got the impression she was used to people arguing with her that the internet isn't taxed.

Old 11-19-2014, 01:49 AM

10 posts, read 15,172 times
Well, I'm sure tax revenue will go up with Amazon collecting the taxes instead. On a similar note I saw a story on The Blaze about people doing all sorts of crazy stunts to avoid paying tolls, such as bending their license plate so it can't be seen by the cameras at the toll booths or covering their license plate. It would be less hassle to just pay it. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay