Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,183,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
'Cavernous' Amazon warehouse in Ruskin is well under way | Tampa Bay Times

New roadway leading into the warehouse is completed - good for us local folks navigating around the area - I heard they may also add an exit off of I75 - another good thing for those of us around. Circle K Convenience store is building a new place as well. Kind of overkill as there are several other gas stations in the area, but I'm sure they've researched the need.
Not sure why they'd need another exit off 1-75. Surely the Ruskin exit is sufficient? I mean, you just get off 75 onto 674 west and hang a right at the next corner and you're there.

BTW the job aggregator Indeed.com is advertising some management and maintenance supervisor positions already, if anyone's interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 05:55 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Amazon to start collecting sales tax in Florida on May 1 | Tampa Bay Times

Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Awesome, I didn't know they were also building another center in Lakeland. Both areas need jobs badly.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:56 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Awesome, I didn't know they were also building another center in Lakeland. Both areas need jobs badly.
Lets see how long these stay open for...

Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Lets see how long these stay open for...

Maybe this will give you some insight..........

Inside Amazon's Giant Shipping Centers - Business Insider

Old 04-18-2014, 11:34 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
honestly, I use Amazon as often as I do Walmart, Target, other stores for merchandise, books, DVDs, sports equipment (non food stuff).....and I have the Amazon Prime (free shipping on a lot of stuff, and free TV/Movie streaming)......if anything, Amazon will cause other stores to close because it is doing a good job w/ customers like myself.

Old 04-18-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Maybe this will give you some insight..........

Inside Amazon's Giant Shipping Centers - Business Insider
Amazon are no dummies. You can be quite sure they studied the area carefully to make sure the workforce was here, and it is. For those not familiar, Homes for Hillsborough has vast USDA funded developments in the area. At the time those went up (and continue to expand), I shook my head, wondering what the people who lived there would do for a living, especially the children as they got older. Amazon will provide employment and even advancement opportunities for many of the Homes for Hillsborough families. There will be choices besides low wage health care, agriculture and landscaping jobs. Not to mention alternatives to gangs. Some of the folks who work at Amazon will have the opportunity to learn new skills and progress. Amazon's warehouse work is not ideal, but I'll bet it beats the heck out of tomato packing and elder care. There are also opportunities in logistics, maintenance engineering, computer work, etc. Not everyone can be a Wall Street trader or a Silicon Valley techie.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
honestly, I use Amazon as often as I do Walmart, Target, other stores for merchandise, books, DVDs, sports equipment (non food stuff).....and I have the Amazon Prime (free shipping on a lot of stuff, and free TV/Movie streaming)......if anything, Amazon will cause other stores to close because it is doing a good job w/ customers like myself.
Yep. Most of my pool supplies, for example, come from there. There is just no way I will pay outrageous price in the local pool stores. The best thing? Amazon tracks all my shipping history I did over the years and I don't have to figure what size of pool filter I bought the last time or an O-ring . What amazes me is that some of the shipment is from Florida based companies who pay to amazon to sell me a product and then send me their catalog (since they have my address) to sell me the same stuff but asking more money than what I got through amazon . I have yet to understand their logic...

Old 04-18-2014, 02:52 PM

Hopefully "downtown" Ruskin along 41 gets a major facelift. Right now it looks pretty run down and hoody.

Old 04-22-2014, 02:53 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
I used to buy a lot on amazon, but prices went up for things like baby diapers and other kids related goods within last year. Usually you can get something locally (using coupons) at least cheaper or for the same price as Amazon has, but most people were using Amazon before they were "saving" on taxes, and now you will have to pay taxes which make no sense to use them anymore unless they cut prices down.

I have very negative experience with ink companies selling cartridges on Amazon. Yes, it was cheaper, but it was expired/starter cartridge instead of regular. maybe it's me, but for last couple items I ordered at Amazon I received all of it without original packages.

Their prime with free shipping cost $119 now? Not so free if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay