Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 06:38 PM

323 posts, read 685,543 times

Advertisements

Who wants to play guess-the-shrub/flower/tree/etc.? Anyone? I hope so...because I'm totally stumped. We just purchased a property in Clearwater, and the previous owner was a gardening fanatic...but several years ago, as the lawn and surrounding plant-life is seriously overgrown, really pretty nonetheless. The problem is, we're from NW Indiana...and quite frankly, if it isn't a an evergreen, maple, or birch tree...I'm lost. We've got some interesting (to me anyway) stuff on the property and I'd love it if some of you experts could help me identify it. Since it's been unattended for at least a few years, I'm sure most of it doesn't need a ton of attention, but I'd still like to be able to answer someone when they ask "What in the world is that thing?" The internet only gets you so far with searches such as "pink puffy tree," "pinecone shrub" and "spiky trunk." The first one I think I may have identified: Powder Puff tree/bush ? And the second, I am clueless with.

Any ideas? I'll post another one tomorrow.

Thanks everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Florida natives - Need help identifying plant-life on property-img_20130203_172713x2.jpg   Florida natives - Need help identifying plant-life on property-img_20130203_171939x2.jpg  

Last edited by druthb00; 02-06-2013 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 07:14 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,899,808 times
Your pictures didn't show up..

Old 02-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23 View Post
Your pictures didn't show up..
Thanks, maybe the way I did it this time will work better.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:01 PM

294 posts, read 543,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
Thanks, maybe the way I did it this time will work better.
I'm not a Florida native nor an avid gardener but I think the one on the right is some type of lily???

Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabuda1 View Post
I'm not a Florida native nor an avid gardener but I think the one on the right is some type of lily???
lol, I'm not trying to exclude non-natives or gardeners , It's strange how it only has that one purple shoot on it. Would there be more if it were a lily? Maybe not. It's a farily decent sized plant, probably 4 ft tall and 5 feet around with that purple flower growing right out of the middle. Lily is better than anything I've come up with.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:16 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,099,661 times
1st plant is called a bottle brush plant and the second one look like bee balm or some type of lily . But the first one I am sure is a bottle brush . good luck

Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM

294 posts, read 543,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by druthb00 View Post
lol, I'm not trying to exclude non-natives or gardeners , It's strange how it only has that one purple shoot on it. Would there be more if it were a lily? Maybe not. It's a farily decent sized plant, probably 4 ft tall and 5 feet around with that purple flower growing right out of the middle. Lily is better than anything I've come up with.
Lilies can grow pretty tall/wide well the grassy part..it is kinda funny there is only one shoot but if I were to guess I still think lily..it looks as if it has seen better days so maybe the flower part of it got mangled by something to make it look that way??

Old 02-07-2013, 11:18 AM

436 posts, read 671,327 times
The plant on the left is often called a powder puff bush. It is in the same family as the mimosa tree. It is not a bottle bush - the leaves are very different. I think this variety is Calliandra haematocephala.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:52 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
The one on the left is calliandra; aka powder puff. The other one is a Queen Emma crinum lily, I have both in my yard.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Thanks to everyone so far I was going to post another pic today but it was raining when I got home ...too bad since it was so nice all day long (while I was trapped indoors at work of course) I'll be sure to post tomorrow because there's one close to the Lily that I'm also very curious about. It has pine cone shaped "bulbs" in the middle and the leaves are kinda similar to those of that Lily, but it's much closer to the ground. Hard to describe. There's a bunch of varieties of cacti, some aloe vera plants and a thicket of really tall bamboo back there, too. I think it's a big over-planted but as of now, I have no idea what to get rid of and what to keep anyway so it's all staying for the time being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay