Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times

Advertisements

Jack up the sales tax and real estate tax to build a billion dollar light rail that will remain empty and unused.....this is not NYC, Boston, folks. People here enjoy driving to their destinations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 08:08 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,175,213 times
Driver investigated after 78 killed in Spain train crash | Reuters

Speaking of mass transit/light rail, take a look at the above link....

Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,990,261 times
The problem with light rail is that it will be used the most by the people who pay the least in taxes.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:24 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
The problem with light rail is that it will be used the most by the people who pay the least in taxes.
I agree.

To me, this is one of those things that comes under the heading of "the idea of it is great" but the reality not so much. It is too expensive to build, too expensive to maintain, will always operate in the red, and too many will have to pay for something via taxes that they will never use. Everything is too large and spread out here - this is not Europe where countries are small and everything is compact. My opinion is that better bus systems and maybe a few privately operated train systems are all that is needed or practical here.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:27 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,422,470 times
Quote:
qft

Old 07-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I agree.

To me, this is one of those things that comes under the heading of "the idea of it is great" but the reality not so much. It is too expensive to build, too expensive to maintain, will always operate in the red, and too many will have to pay for something via taxes that they will never use. Everything is too large and spread out here - this is not Europe where countries are small and everything is compact. My opinion is that better bus systems and maybe a few privately operated train systems are all that is needed or practical here.
I agree with you Gypsychic on the bus systems. I could be wrong since I am not very familiar with the layout of Tampa yet but by what I read on here, the mention of sprawling demographics, it reminds me of the layout of San Diego. There's downtown and then there's the greater part of San Diego which is very spread out. One time out there, I was staying with one friend who was going one place one day and I was meeting up with another friend elsewhere in the complete opposite direction. I decided to figure out the bus system. I get really overwhelmed with things like this but I walked to the closest stop, took the bus to one of their central stations, and from there it was a piece of cake. For each neighborhood, they had a little booklet to follow. I loved it. I'd def. take the bus more if it was as easy in Boston.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:49 AM

I'd probably use light rail, but only when I want to go out drinking or to a Bucs game. lol

Old 07-25-2013, 08:53 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,137 times
Quote:
I'd probably use light rail, but only when I want to go out drinking or to a Bucs game. lol
It may sound funny but it's a very good use of public transportation. Cheaper than a taxi I'm sure. You just have to make sure you get on the right bus.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:55 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Another problem with light rail is how far is the station from where you need to be,? if its more than a minor walk people are going to opt for using there own cars.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Another problem with light rail is how far is the station from where you need to be,? if its more than a minor walk people are going to opt for using there own cars.
Exactly. All it takes is one block before the ladies in their heels are complaining. LOL. I'd rather deal with the traffic and parking then the complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay