Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,895,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
quote<<This is a phenomenal post and sums it up perfectly. Unless public transit is going to pick you up at your door, on your own schedule and then drop you off directly at your location in one shot.....it just is not going to work here. It does not matter how many times pro mass transit people try to say it will work, the overwhelming evidence shows it will not. This one small scale disaster shows just how far off the ridership estimates and cost estimates really are. It almost always costs the tax payers big bucks>>.

It wont work for those who are used to driving themselves, but those who know what mass transit means. will get right on it. and it will not work in all areas, but the point is to get some key locations, have park n drive and or buses that meet at the general location and it works.. done it and would LOVE to again. will I get wet? guess what I do not have a garage, or carport,,, so I get wet anyhow..
Well even with one this small scale, they did not have enough interest here. It already cost millions and now will cost many more millions to the tax payers, for the benefit of very few.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:54 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
All city transportation has very convoluted problems because we live in a convoluted society. Hindsight can't correct the problems lack of foresight made.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Hindsight can't correct the problems lack of foresight made.
But paying attention to the failures of the past can help us prevent future failures. There are far too many examples of where public transit cost the taxpayers far more than anticipated and where paying ridership was far less than anticipated. This small scale system shows where we are at here. Why make an even costlier mistake going forward? I suggest think very limited and targeted options first. IF it can prove it works here, then sloooowly start increasing capacity. So far it is not looking good here. JMO of course.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:00 AM

296 posts, read 658,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Exactly. Tampa will stay a medium populated, suburban sprawl city with limited growth. What's wrong with that? You want growth, variety, and public transportation? Move to another city.
I really hate when people use this defense. Why can't Tampa grow to be something more? And I do want all that stuff, but I don't want to move because there are so many things about Tampa Bay that I love.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_tino View Post
Gov. Scott saved the state from a potential state income tax by vetoing the high speed rail project. I can't wait to see what otherworldly "estimates" the light rail gang will cook up when it comes to a referendum to spend other people's money.
Rick Scott is a tool. He may be saving money for old conservative republicans but he is killing the entire progress of the state of Florida. This is the same guy who killed the bullet train, cause that wouldn't help the Tampa/Orlando economies at all.

Spending money is a good thing people!

Old 07-26-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by romes591 View Post
Rick Scott is a tool. He may be saving money for old conservative republicans but he is killing the entire progress of the state of Florida. This is the same guy who killed the bullet train, cause that wouldn't help the Tampa/Orlando economies at all.
LOL! You may want to look at all the data showing tremendous progress Florida has made since he took office. The facts do not match up to partisan opinions. I am an unaffiliated voter. The Governor has done a very good job and the Tampa Mayor has done a very good job, based of the data available. Both in different political parties.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:12 AM

451 posts, read 933,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
Classic example of why mass transit simple will not work in Tampa Bay.
I've said this before, so I'll copy/paste:

That little yellow streetcar with the whistles that runs between Franklin and Ybor IS NOT A PUBLIC TRANSIT SYSTEM. It's a poorly-conceived tourist gimmick that has no value to local commuters. It doesn't connect our major university with our international airport and either of our primary business centers. It's a gimmick, and a wasteful one that will continue in free fall with the Channelside development.

Pointing at the trolley and saying this is why mass transit won't work is like pointing at the Davis Island airport and asking why in the world do we need Tampa International Airport.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:16 AM

35,685 posts, read 21,035,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel
Exactly. Tampa will stay a medium populated, suburban sprawl city with limited growth. What's wrong with that? You want growth, variety, and public transportation? Move to another city.

I detest when someone is always asking me to move elsewhere -- you move-
and let the young people in and make it their own world,,, because it will happen, there are people from all over and more coming,,, no longer a small town, where just a few can mandate.. those days are over.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,564,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriusH8r View Post
But paying attention to the failures of the past can help us prevent future failures. There are far too many examples of where public transit cost the taxpayers far more than anticipated and where paying ridership was far less than anticipated. This small scale system shows where we are at here. Why make an even costlier mistake going forward? I suggest think very limited and targeted options first. IF it can prove it works here, then sloooowly start increasing capacity. So far it is not looking good here. JMO of course.
Very true but getting people to learn from history and not repeat it is a major problem.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel

I detest when someone is always asking me to move elsewhere -- you move-
and let the young people in and make it their own world,,, because it will happen, there are people from all over and more coming,,, no longer a small town, where just a few can mandate.. those days are over.

Thank god there is intelligent life among us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay