Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 01:53 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,124,405 times

Advertisements

Today I had the need to be at USF for a 10 a.m. conference. So, I slid down U.S. 41 as I usually do. It's always a pleasant drive passing by the grazing cattle and the moms waiting with their kids for the school bus and watching as the landscape turns towards urbanization.

On my way back up to Spring Hill I made some observations along Fletcher and then on 41 going North. The first thing I noticed is the number of cars that had 1,2 and 4 windows rolled all the way down or a combination of 1/2 down, 1/4 down, 1/4 down front, halfway down back and on some, a combination of all. I saw rag tops with the top down, rag tops with the top up and windows open and of course the majority of drivers with all windows up.

I also noticed something else. I was traveling at 45mph. Just cruising along getting green lights up until Bearrs where I hit a red light. It just changed to red as I was approaching the intersection.
I was the first car at the light. Cars started to line up behind me as we all waited for the green. On the green, I and the others behind me accelerated and I was quickly up to speed limit. Then it started. Car after car passed me. Right lane, left lane, cars behind me changed lanes to get in front of me. Now the pack that was behind me was far ahead of me. I continued along at the speed limit. Lo and behold when I started to brake and come to a full stop for the red light at SR 54, I saw several of cars who had passed me, including a red Mustang that was behind me at Bearrs. The light at SR 54 turned green and it was a full 25 seconds before the Mustang moved because of the pack of cars in front of it, which as I stated, passed me earlier. Again the pack moved along and we all reached or exceeded the speed limit again. Guess what? Same thing happened at the light at the North entrance to Connorton. Most of the cars that were in the earlier pack must have turned off because I only noticed 3 or 4 cars from earlier in front of me including the Red Mustang. The SR 54 situation repeated itself. Approaching SR 52 I saw the flashing blue lights on the right shoulder of the road ahead of me. As I got closer I saw who was in front of the Pasco Sheriffs office car. The red Mustang. I actually slowed down to a crawl as I approached the green light, had put my window down on the passenger side and gave the sullen faced driver of the Mustang a hearty and very animated wave as I proceeded through the green light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 03:01 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
In the mornings, sometimes I like to keep the windows down - also when I get in a very hot car, I bring the windows down to "air out" the car.

As far as the cars zipping by you - then you see them at the next stop light-

I see that all the time and get a kick out of seeing it - I know they're not getting anywhere near what I get in MPG.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:04 PM

Sorry Red, I guess the fractions confused you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
wut?

Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM

Yep Buc, me too. Let's the built up heat escape. I've seen the zip and light thing many times. Always makes me chuckle. They get less MPG, more wear on the brake pads. Silly, but it seems to be so common. The other one I love to see is the guy who zips past to get from behind me and then winds up tapping the brakes every few seconds because of the car(s) in front of him. So, he has to do it again and the cycle repeats itself. Like leap frogging. Does no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
In the mornings, sometimes I like to keep the windows down - also when I get in a very hot car, I bring the windows down to "air out" the car.

As far as the cars zipping by you - then you see them at the next stop light-

I see that all the time and get a kick out of seeing it - I know they're not getting anywhere near what I get in MPG.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:07 PM

861 posts, read 1,455,701 times
That was you????

Old 09-09-2013, 03:10 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Today I had the need to be at USF for a 10 a.m. conference. So, I slid down U.S. 41 as I usually do. It's always a pleasant drive passing by the grazing cattle and the moms waiting with their kids for the school bus and watching as the landscape turns towards urbanization.
I thought there were only cows and pastures in Spring Hill.

I drive 41 somewhat regularly to go down to the same area by USF and have noticed similar things in regards to the traffic flow. I generally go during the non-rush hour times and take my time, so I don't really care who passes me. Usually, I stay in the right lane unless I get something moving real slow, like the other day there was a farm tractor towing a big water tank on wheels down in the LoL/Lutz area.

Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM

The only place I know of in Spring Hill that still has cows or pasture land would be at California/Spring Hill Drive and I am not so sure that is still within the confines of Spring Hill, probably Brooksville. I havent seen the cows grazing there for a while though. There are a lot of lots that havent been developed yet and that is what the area looked like until they started building here.

But on 41 there are a few ranches. I love seeing them hanging out under the shade of the trees or just standing around munching the day away. Reminds me of the crowd around the office water cooler of days gone by. Then south of Land o Lakes it gets busier and commercialized. On the reverse drive back I look forward to seeing "the country" again.

Yeah, I am a right lane driver or the middle. I only use the left to pass and I dont find the need to do that too often because I am rarely in a hurry to get any place.

It seems things are going pretty smooth for you here. I guess there the major crime that one former Spring Hill resident experienced does not happen where you are. Well, for that matter, it doesnt happen where I am either, but thats the way it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
I thought there were only cows and pastures in Spring Hill.

I drive 41 somewhat regularly to go down to the same area by USF and have noticed similar things in regards to the traffic flow. I generally go during the non-rush hour times and take my time, so I don't really care who passes me. Usually, I stay in the right lane unless I get something moving real slow, like the other day there was a farm tractor towing a big water tank on wheels down in the LoL/Lutz area.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:32 PM

It is, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Another everything is perfect thread.

Old 09-09-2013, 04:33 PM

How much was that ticket C F ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFisher View Post
That was you????

Old 09-09-2013, 04:34 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Another everything is perfect thread.
I thought it was about driving habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay