Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:21 PM

2 posts, read 9,372 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've been reading a ton about moving to st. Petersburg because my husband has a second interview with a great company down there. We're from Ohio and can't wait to move out of the nasty grey winters to the sunshine state! That's not the only reason tho, we just got married and really want a change, a much more active lifestyle, and an adventure, if you will, before we have kids. We've visited the gulf area several times over the past few years and have fallen in love with st Pete. My question is should we move downtown or closer to the beach? My husband still has stars in his eyes about moving to Florida and living on the beach. I've done enough research to know (and have come to love) that it is probably not gonna happen, we won't make many friends who actually live there, and there's way more housing to offer downtown. I really wanna be in the excitement of a vibrant downtown life, walking to farmers markets and coffee shops, good international cuisine, and a good live music scene. I wanna use the beach for the weekends as a leisure thing. What are your thoughts?

Also, I'd love to hear from people who have moved from Ohio or the Midwest and see what your opinion of the move has been.

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 PM

184 posts, read 248,598 times
I moved from Ohio in October and I love it here. I actually prefer downtown to the beach but both are nice. The downtown area is amazing.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,165,328 times
Living downtown (or close) would be nice if you can. No matter where you are in St. Pete, the beach usually isn't more than 20 minutes away. Unless you are SET on living at the beach, I wouldn't really worry about that too much. How much time would you spend there anyways?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,318,816 times
The beaches are mostly full of retirees and vacationers. There isn't much for young and middle aged people to do there.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:33 AM

27,191 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachface13 View Post
. I really wanna be in the excitement of a vibrant downtown life, walking to farmers markets and coffee shops, good international cuisine, and a good live music scene. I wanna use the beach for the weekends as a leisure thing. What are your thoughts?
Downtown is going to offer far more for everyday living and you'll find beachside most activities are going to require trips inland to accomplish. Downtown also largely has the walkability factor where at the beach it does not.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
I really enjoy downtown St Pete - always very neat, orderly - restaurants around the marina, parks, concerts, Rays. You can always hop in the car and drive to the beach - btw, once you've lived here for awhile, you might find going to the beach less novel and trips to the beach will be less and less - at least it has for my family.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
NO CONTEST! Live close to downtown - beaches are easy to get to, and believe me it gets old fast if you are living out there and not close to shops and fun etc. Not to mention problems when storms come. St. Pete has a great, lively downtown for being a small city and I think you would enjoy it very much.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:52 AM

745 posts, read 1,582,760 times
both are hotspots, and both are very affordable. I'm amazed at how cheap it is to live in St. Pete. As for which to choose, you answered your own question, no? Live downtown, or Old NE.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 9,372 times
Thanks to all who have responded! I mostly wanted to have others help me convince my husband that living downtown was the better choice ;-) But all very helpful responses. Thanks!

Old 01-04-2014, 09:44 AM

62 posts, read 86,323 times
Unless you or your husband are into the surf/ beach volleyball/ beach bar scene/ like to hang out at the beach almost everyday, then downtown/ near downtown is the place to be. Downtown is much better for everyday living, more things to do and very walkable to a variety of things including its own decent small beach, and a variety of festivals throughout the year. Like most have stated, the beach is about 15-20 minutes away from downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay