Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2014, 10:20 AM

9 posts, read 22,987 times

Advertisements

hello, my work is recruiting entry-level IT professionals in the Tampa area.

I'm having a hard time trying to find places to post job ads besides craigslist (which requires money). Does anyone know where I can recruit IT guys looking for a job? This for a IT service center near USF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 AM

Location: says MA on my license but can be found wandering the beaches of RI
1,432 posts, read 1,822,862 times
I don't know if there would be cost on your end as a recruiter but have you looked into Monster and Careerbuilder? Indeed.com is also a really good source (again, not sure if it's free from a recruiter's standpoint)

Also, depending on how entry-level you are looking, you could contact the Career Develpment centeers at local highschools and/or colleges. They typically have a job placement program for graduates as well as internship programs.

The last thought is Linkedin - but - again - not sure what the cost would be from your end.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:01 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
I have PM'ed you some contact information.

To be honest, if you're recruiting for where I think you are, it's a tough sell. For the entry level person the hours are lousy as is the schedule. Granted, you have to start somewhere, but a lot of people aren't keen about working nights and weekends.

Good luck with the recruiting!

RM

Old 01-12-2014, 12:06 PM

554 posts, read 977,400 times
I am an it contractor, most recruiters tell me that they find me on linked in, career builder or dice. When I am looking for gigs, I usually look at linkedin, dice, indeed and simply hired.

Old 01-12-2014, 12:52 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
They're recruiting entry level first tier call center support, I believe. Those folks are not looking on the recruiting web sites for jobs, believe me. If they are it's a rare one.

I used to deal with a CompTIA A+ program in the area. Many of the students were mid lifers who had been in dead end jobs for years and finally realized without a salable skill set they were going to be there for the rest of their lives. Most of them were receiving some sort of workforce grant for their tuition, so they really had no ownership in succeeding in the program, which I believe was a major issue.

Sadly, most of them weren't terribly motivated, either. They thought they would take the class, nail the certification exams and employers would be knocking down their doors. When they discover that they're going to have to expend a fair amount of effort to get this done, they bail or just fall through the cracks. The last class I was involved with had eight people in it, six of which were as described above, the remaining two young people fresh out of high school looking to develop a career.

The post high schoolers passed their certification exams the first go around. The others did not, although a few of them had scores that were very close to passing. While I lost track of most of them, the ones I did know about never followed through.

I would add that the class was made aware of the call center opportunities in the area, but most of them balked at the hours and days offered to the entry level people. I tried to help them to understand that they were the newbies and would have to take what they could get for a little while before they earned their chops and got a better schedule. I also pointed out that while they "did their time" they were also eligible for advanced training by their employer, which is something no one should ever turn down - it's something that can't be taken away from you. This usually required a commitment of six months of employment after completion, but again, you do your time, get the (free) training and then start looking for something better.

No instant gratification in this world.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: