Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,589,770 times

Advertisements

It looks like they might of found a way to get better results. They are going to bring in more discipline.

"Kids will be the first to point out if they’re not being held to the same standards as one of their classmates, so promoting good behavior has been huge this year,” Rosenberger said. “We’ve really focused on showing that the rules are the rules and no one is going to slide by, and that may mean more kids in detention... I’ve talked with folks that say the campus is calmer and there’s more time spent actually teaching in class, because kids are learning that if they avoid conflict they avoid discipline.”

What was old is new again.

State: Struggling Pinellas schools still trailing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 06:58 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
It looks like they might of found a way to get better results. They are going to bring in more discipline.

"Kids will be the first to point out if they’re not being held to the same standards as one of their classmates, so promoting good behavior has been huge this year,” Rosenberger said. “We’ve really focused on showing that the rules are the rules and no one is going to slide by, and that may mean more kids in detention... I’ve talked with folks that say the campus is calmer and there’s more time spent actually teaching in class, because kids are learning that if they avoid conflict they avoid discipline.”

What was old is new again.

State: Struggling Pinellas schools still trailing

It's not the job of educators to overturn developmental shortcomings brought on by lack of parenting, especially not at the current salary level or with the continued expectation that they're to provide supplies from their own pockets due to funding shortfalls. The head smack indicated belongs to all of us, not the teachers.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It's not the job of educators to overturn developmental shortcomings brought on by lack of parenting, especially not at the current salary level or with the continued expectation that they're to provide supplies from their own pockets due to funding shortfalls. The head smack indicated belongs to all of us, not the teachers.
Keeping order in the classroom is the teachers job. We don't need more funding to do that. The teachers union are supposed to work for the teachers. If they have problems inside the classroom the teachers and unions need to address that.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:06 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,081,570 times
I would say that mrviking should try and run a classroom in one of the failing schools for one day. If children come to school and attack teachers, yell and do not take any notice of a teacher who does not beat the C**p out of them, how is any teacher supposed to make that work. Its not an overnight fix. Many of the children are just not used to discipline other than the back of a hand or worse and teachers are powerless, what should they do - have them all arrested because you know what happens if they raise a hand to a student.... This is a continuing problem and its a miracle when schools to turn round.

Old 01-26-2014, 05:31 PM

2,006 posts, read 3,322,668 times
This plan is great for the kids, but it simply can't work in the long run because the Feds will intervene. The educrat establishment and the Feds are in agreement that discipline is bad. Their weapon of choice is to point to the statistics showing certain demographic groups are being disciplined more than others and then have The Justice Department sue the school for discrimination.

One thing you can count on is that the Feds will not complain about boys being punished more than girls.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:11 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Quote:
Keeping order in the classroom is the teachers job. We don't need more funding to do that. The teachers union are supposed to work for the teachers. If they have problems inside the classroom the teachers and unions need to address that.
To a degree. When they're dealing with undisciplined animals which is the case in many instances, there's only so much that can be accomplished...and it then most definitely moves out of the job description provided. Futhermore how are the teachers/unions supposed to "address" societal problems without any support from parents, school administration and the school board? The same group that seems to find no issue with teachers having to bring in supplies on their own dime...

Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 AM

The unions seem to just want to handcuff the teachers. The teachers have a no-win job. Back when we had discipline in the classroom, we had the teachers and administration working together to provide a safe environment for learning. The unions and administration have taken all the bark and bite away from the classroom. The bad kids can just run wild and the teacher can do nothing. I just wish the teachers would speak out more instead of towing the union line.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 AM

237 posts, read 392,455 times
Quote:
instead of towing the union line.
haha! Thank you for an early morning chuckle, I needed that!

Get rid of the union and create a merit based system ... EEEEK!

I have a better chance of getting pregnant and a little hint, I dont have breasts.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:52 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,015,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dystopian View Post
haha! Thank you for an early morning chuckle, I needed that!

Get rid of the union and create a merit based system ... EEEEK!

I have a better chance of getting pregnant and a little hint, I dont have breasts.
How would a merit based system work exactly, wouldn't that promote teaching to the test, or unearned student promotions, would you have a curve for teachers in better/easier districts. I don't understand people that wax poetic about the good old days, but at the same time bash unions when unions were part of the good old days, Teacher unions are a shell of what they were in the 70's and 80's. The problem is way more complex than blaming unions, Teachers are certainly not paid exorbitant amounts, they do not have lavish benefits, IMO they are underpaid I could not put up with the consequences of other people's lack of parenting for that salary.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:54 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,651,314 times
Quote:
The unions seem to just want to handcuff the teachers. The teachers have a no-win job. Back when we had discipline in the classroom, we had the teachers and administration working together to provide a safe environment for learning. The unions and administration have taken all the bark and bite away from the classroom. The bad kids can just run wild and the teacher can do nothing. I just wish the teachers would speak out more instead of towing the union line.

Sounds like your thread is more concerned with being ant-union than worrying about the state of education.

When is the last time you stepped into a public school? Sounds like it hasn't been for many years.

When you have children who come from homes where there is no discipline, many times just one parent, parents/parent who don't even know what their kids are doing on the Internet, or who and where they hang out with, and you think a teacher can just waive a magic wand and get them to sit up straight and listen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay