Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2014, 11:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times

Advertisements

holy cow, anyone thinking we need to pick up Heisman winner Mariota better think long and hard about it - he's a very shy kid and uncomfortable being inteviewed....watched him today on Dan Patrick and I felt uncomfortable watching him.....not sure if he can be coached up on interviews as it's part of the job, but I can't see him getting in the faces of his teammates and being a leader like that....got to see him interviewed to understand what I'm talking about.....almost a Ricky Williams type of social anxiety problem.

....but Tony Dungy gives him his blessings.....says whoever drafts Mariota will be getting an Aaron Rodgers type QB.....good for the franchise.

Last edited by BucFan; 12-15-2014 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 12:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
holy cow, anyone thinking we need to pick up Heisman winner Mariota better think long and hard about it - he's a very shy kid and uncomfortable being inteviewed....watched him today on Dan Patrick and I felt uncomfortable watching him.....not sure if he can be coached up on interviews as it's part of the job, but I can't see him getting in the faces of his teammates and being a leader like that....got to see him interviewed to understand what I'm talking about.....almost a Ricky Williams type of social anxiety problem.

....but Tony Dungy gives him his blessings.....says whoever drafts Mariota will be getting an Aaron Rodgers type QB.....good for the franchise.
I'd rather have someone who is awesome on the field, than awesome explaining to the camera and crowd why they lost.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:47 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

Leader's do so by example on the field...that is how they speak. I couldn't care less about their interviewing skills. However, I did watch Dan Patrick interview and nothing stood out compared to most college players getting interviewed. Hell, he could at least put together coherent sentences and not stumble around with "uhm, um...well...uhm...like...well..." constantly. I've seen WAY worse.

With that said, I think drafting him (or any QB) is always a bad move. I think possibly seeing if we could get a slightly proven QB that another team is willing to part with for a #1 pick would be a better solution for what the Bucs need. An experiment is a big gamble.

Old 12-15-2014, 03:37 PM

434 posts, read 530,699 times
^Who though? RG3? Cutler? Foles/Sanchez?

Old 12-15-2014, 04:50 PM

1,163 posts, read 2,100,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAnc View Post
^Who though? RG3? Cutler? Foles/Sanchez?
I guess I was thinking Foles in my particular example. Especially with the Mariota/Oregon connection to a Chip Kelly offense...it would kind of fit what he has wanted, although a gamble for the franchise as well.

Another target I like (and have always liked) is Ryan Mallet. The guy sat on NE's bench behind Brady wasting away until finally getting grabbed by Houston. Tampa SHOULD have grabbed him instead of McCown. He has a huge upside in my opinion, but not giving up a #1 pick for him.

Maybe even Phillip Rivers if they gave up the #1 pick and some cheese...he is a FA in 2016.

Either way, Peyton Manning would be crap in this offense until they get some hogs on the OL to block.

Old 12-15-2014, 05:45 PM

Manning would still 3-step drop everyone to death, but I digress.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:14 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,009,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSpur View Post
I guess I was thinking Foles in my particular example. Especially with the Mariota/Oregon connection to a Chip Kelly offense...it would kind of fit what he has wanted, although a gamble for the franchise as well.

Another target I like (and have always liked) is Ryan Mallet. The guy sat on NE's bench behind Brady wasting away until finally getting grabbed by Houston. Tampa SHOULD have grabbed him instead of McCown. He has a huge upside in my opinion, but not giving up a #1 pick for him.

Maybe even Phillip Rivers if they gave up the #1 pick and some cheese...he is a FA in 2016.

Either way, Peyton Manning would be crap in this offense until they get some hogs on the OL to block.
I dont think Ryan Mallet is your guy, he is certainly not proving anything in Houston on a Bill Obrian offense he should know, with 2 stud receivers and arguably the best back in the league. Unless you get lucky with a Andrew Luck type of player you are screwed, I agree you need a veteran QB who can keep at about .500 for a 2-3 years so you can groom a stud QB without changing offensive systems every other year, but easier said than done, those guys dont grow on trees, if Chicago keeps imploding a released Cutler would be interesting, with VJ and Evans he would fit right in, worst case scenario IMO is they go after Jameis that kid is going to have to fall down hard before he gets it together with all the FSU fans here it would fill the stands but it would be a terrible business decision.

Old 12-15-2014, 08:35 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
I dont think Ryan Mallet is your guy, he is certainly not proving anything in Houston on a Bill Obrian offense he should know, with 2 stud receivers and arguably the best back in the league. Unless you get lucky with a Andrew Luck type of player you are screwed, I agree you need a veteran QB who can keep at about .500 for a 2-3 years so you can groom a stud QB without changing offensive systems every other year, but easier said than done, those guys dont grow on trees, if Chicago keeps imploding a released Cutler would be interesting, with VJ and Evans he would fit right in, worst case scenario IMO is they go after Jameis that kid is going to have to fall down hard before he gets it together with all the FSU fans here it would fill the stands but it would be a terrible business decision.
I think cutler would be to expensive he was gurenteed $38 million when he signed his latest contract and I don't think Tampa has that kind of money for just one player.

Last edited by Vannort54; 12-15-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 12-16-2014, 04:28 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
I'd burn my season tickets and picket OBP if they even considered bringing Cutler here. That dude might be worse than McCown from what I saw last night.

The smart thing but least popular move would be to trade down and get some solid picks either early 2nd round or late first. Move down and get a 2nd or 3rd rd QB or FA.

But I'm so tired of speculating about the team - and where it's going......I'll just sit and wait for draft day while staying away from mock drafts and all the predraft hype that hits each year.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:23 PM

If the Bucs got the #1, they might be presented with the option of trading it with Philly and get Foles, a starting offensive lineman, their 1st and 2nd this year and their 1st next year. (Philly will likely have later round picks)

Does anyone think that sort of deal would be worth it? With any team for a vet QB, picks and maybe a young starting Oline or DE (or maybe an older pro-bowler)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay