Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 11:13 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,652,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I used the term "dumb dumbs". I doubt they are "stupid' by any degree, but to pay $24,000 dollars
a year to live in an abode that you will never have any ownership in is in my opinion dumb. In 5 years
that is over $100,000.00.
In 1990 when we bought our first home...we figured out we had spent about $80,000 on rent for the 8 yrs prior(Bayside and North Flushing)...it made it so hard to save for a down payment. My niece and her husband are dealing with the same problem...even though between them they make $150,000!!! ! It's nuts...but sometimes circumstances force you to live some place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2014, 12:18 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
Holiday, just like every other city in the country has its good parts and bad parts. I think when people mention Holiday most automatically think of the majority of Holiday Lake Estates and certain neighborhoods along US 19 that unfortunately are just very run down and have attracted groups of people that you probably dont want to be around. The area is known to have a pill head problem and theres really no jobs or exciting things to do in the area (unless your into bars and strip clubs)...but the rent is cheap and if you can find a decent place with decent neighbors then Im sure you will be happy with your choice to move there.

Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
In 1990 when we bought our first home...we figured out we had spent about $80,000 on rent for the 8 yrs prior(Bayside and North Flushing)...it made it so hard to save for a down payment. My niece and her husband are dealing with the same problem...even though between them they make $150,000!!! ! It's nuts...but sometimes circumstances force you to live some place...
This is true, but I dont think many of the hipsters are interested in home ownership.

A big problem with homes (not in the city directly) are the taxes on top of the prices. Yikes!!

Old 02-15-2015, 05:27 AM

17 posts, read 22,920 times
I wish people would realize that not all renters are white trash. I am a hard working single woman who owned her own home for years, but due to my elderly mother ( I took care of her for 20 years before she passed away) and her bills mixed with mine I lost my home and now have to rent until my credit builds back up. I lived in a town with under 12,000 in northern Minnesota and you wouldn't know it to look at the area; but we had our own fair amount of meth homes too, so they are everywhere. Maybe people should be encouraging new renters to move in so that the area can change.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:02 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4355 View Post
You folks are scaring newcomers from coming to Holiday with all the negative comments.
Is it really as bad as you say? Are their no happy people over 60 in this small community ?
What are some of their views??
Come and see for yourself. 20 million ppl live in FL, each with his/her opinion.

Old 02-15-2015, 07:16 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNnativeBornnraised View Post
I wish people would realize that not all renters are white trash. I am a hard working single woman who owned her own home for years, but due to my elderly mother ( I took care of her for 20 years before she passed away) and her bills mixed with mine I lost my home and now have to rent until my credit builds back up. I lived in a town with under 12,000 in northern Minnesota and you wouldn't know it to look at the area; but we had our own fair amount of meth homes too, so they are everywhere. Maybe people should be encouraging new renters to move in so that the area can change.
I won't say all, but my hood is 80% renters and i would say 9 out of 10 are bad.

Old 02-15-2015, 01:34 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Holiday has gone down since the early to mid-90s, but that decline really accelerated after the last housing bubble burst.

As retirees died off or moved into nursing homes, many of the 2BR/1BA 50s and 60s block houses that are the bulk of housing in Holiday got sold off at a loss or well below market. That allowed the institutional investors to move in with a vengeance and buy the places up for pennies on the dollar, then turn around and rent them out at relatively low prices (compared to surrounding areas.)

My in-laws bought one of these houses in a neighborhood that was pretty much all retirees and snowbirds back in the early 90s. They moved down to Holiday from Citrus County so they would be closer to medical care. In 1992 (I think) they paid around $60k for a 2BR/1BA house with a single garage and a carport on a nice cul-de-sac near a golf course.

That house is worth about $30k today. Their immediate neighborhood is still decent, as most of the original owners are still there and living, but it's tough to say how much longer it will be before someone breaks the block. The streets immediately surrounding them are populated with dumpy, poorly maintained properties of similar size, many of which are rentals.

It's a nasty, nasty place, and crime has increased substantially as well.

RM

Old 02-15-2015, 02:11 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Holiday has gone down since the early to mid-90s, but that decline really accelerated after the last housing bubble burst.

As retirees died off or moved into nursing homes, many of the 2BR/1BA 50s and 60s block houses that are the bulk of housing in Holiday got sold off at a loss or well below market. That allowed the institutional investors to move in with a vengeance and buy the places up for pennies on the dollar, then turn around and rent them out at relatively low prices (compared to surrounding areas.)

My in-laws bought one of these houses in a neighborhood that was pretty much all retirees and snowbirds back in the early 90s. They moved down to Holiday from Citrus County so they would be closer to medical care. In 1992 (I think) they paid around $60k for a 2BR/1BA house with a single garage and a carport on a nice cul-de-sac near a golf course.

That house is worth about $30k today. Their immediate neighborhood is still decent, as most of the original owners are still there and living, but it's tough to say how much longer it will be before someone breaks the block. The streets immediately surrounding them are populated with dumpy, poorly maintained properties of similar size, many of which are rentals.

It's a nasty, nasty place, and crime has increased substantially as well.

RM
Dead on. It's bad from Holiday to Hudson for the most part. All the older 2bedroom home hoods are 80% renters. I have seen the same homes rented over and over to drug dealers, midnite movers with 6 kids and just flat out trash.

Old 02-16-2015, 07:30 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Dead on. It's bad from Holiday to Hudson for the most part. All the older 2bedroom home hoods are 80% renters. I have seen the same homes rented over and over to drug dealers, midnite movers with 6 kids and just flat out trash.
Yoy are saying that almost 100% of renters are bad..?

Wow! We manage a lot of homes in the area with great nice renters who are paying on time and they are hard working people.

If you look at other areas and the overall economy and housing market you can see that lot of investors came into the area and all renting their properties out.

That is preventing homes from being abandoned and a lot of them have been sold aside from other homes being sold.

Pasco County sheriff's office has cleaned up some bad areas as there are bad areas every where in the world. Nothing new and that will unfortunately always happen.

The County also stepped in with some programs to fix up homes and turn areas around which also has happened and you can see that some bad streets are now changing but of course there are some streets that are still not like others...nothing new but to say the entire area from Holiday to Hudson is bad just because you lost money during the housing down turn is a personal statement that you keep repeating and is so biased and bad but that is JMO!

You are entitled to your opinion and we are entitled to the facts!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:22 PM

3,046 posts, read 4,126,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNnativeBornnraised View Post
Me and my wife are renters by choose, we do not want to take on another house and all that comes along wiith it, like maintenance, hireing out for lawn service, and paying for homeowners. We already had our homes we are in out late 50s and early 60s. I would never buy a home here I have seen how badly they are constructed my father was a carpenter and my grandfather was a general contractor so I know about construction and shabby workmanship. We could buy if we wanted to but we rather rent and not have to worry about things breaking down. Im done doing home repairs and landscaping.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay