Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 05:32 AM

81 posts, read 270,316 times

Advertisements

are there any bad neighbourhoods in tampa or ghetto type areas??
moving from london where crime is terrible have friends in tampa and orlando and they say its nice areas??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 06:23 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonman View Post
are there any bad neighbourhoods in tampa or ghetto type areas??
moving from london where crime is terrible have friends in tampa and orlando and they say its nice areas??

I'll put my opinion in and just say the "less desirable" areas in my opinion for me to live are East Tampa(areas east of Ybor City and just north of Ybor City/East of I-275) and just west of the University of South Florida(area west of 30th/Bruce B Downs/East of I-275 from around Fowler Ave to Bearss Ave).

Old 12-14-2007, 11:57 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,649,955 times
Hey tampaguy03 - I used to live in Tampa and driving along 275 (say coming from downtown towards Dale Mabry, which I think is south) there were what appeared to be public housing on the right. They were all painted blue and the area seemed run down. Is this what you consider the area just west of USF?

Old 12-14-2007, 12:51 PM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,637 times
Default I'll answer for TampaGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
Hey tampaguy03 - I used to live in Tampa and driving along 275 (say coming from downtown towards Dale Mabry, which I think is south) there were what appeared to be public housing on the right. They were all painted blue and the area seemed run down. Is this what you consider the area just west of USF?
No, he's referring to areas around the Fowler exit from 275 down to Ybor. What you're thinking of is 275 South, but because it's a loop, you're actually traveling west. What you're talking about is not a desirable area either, I'd say it's worse. One of the section 8 offices is located around there (city Sec. 8, as opposed to County) and the area is mostly low income housing. North of 275 between North Blvd. and Howard/Armenia is considered West Tampa and was once a thriving community in the days of old Tampa - one of the first "sub-urbs" back when they had streetcars.
BTW: The county Sec. 8 office is around the area TampaGuy is talking about - east of Ybor. College Hill, where there is neither a college nor a hill. In my days of property management, I had the joy of visiting both Sec. 8 offices on several occasions.

Old 12-14-2007, 05:00 PM

192 posts, read 1,164,612 times
I think of the less desirable area(s) as a corridor - starting just north of downtown Tampa and running northward all the way to Bearss Ave - it gets wider in some areas and narrower in others and of course there are exceptions, as some decent areas are peppered in the corridor. Also, there is East Tampa, as mentioned where it seems there is generally a lack of pride in community.

There are remnants of decent housing mixed in so please don't get me wrong. Today I was in an area bordered by Nebraska on the west and Sligh Avenue on the south, running 5 or 6 blocks north, and the homes were well cared for, with manacured lawns and a tidy look to the whole neighborhood. It looked the way most of Seminole Hgts and Tampa Hgts looked years ago....I hope it comes back!

Old 12-14-2007, 09:18 PM

12 posts, read 61,798 times
Jickler, yes those building were public housing but they have been comdemmed and will be torn down soon. That area isn't that nice as well. There are bad and good neighborhoods all over the place.

Old 12-15-2007, 01:37 AM

81 posts, read 270,316 times
yes i would say london is worse then usa, as it is smaller you can live in a nice area and 10 15 mins down the road could be projects, where now a days you can get stabbed to death just for doing nothing , where as in the us if you live in a nice town maybe there are nothing like that for a good hour away!! thats the impression i got when i was at college there

Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 15,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJickler View Post
Your speaking of Central Park Village, it got torn down recently. I knew a person who had a friend who got shot there during a robbery many years ago. Also, right next to it is the Nuccio projects, which are the only major projects left in Tampa

Old 03-13-2009, 07:52 PM

102 posts, read 422,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrfacefella View Post
Your speaking of Central Park Village, it got torn down recently. I knew a person who had a friend who got shot there during a robbery many years ago. Also, right next to it is the Nuccio projects, which are the only major projects left in Tampa
Agreed... I did some charity work down in Central Park years ago and was shocked to discover they have been torn down. Tampa has done a good job tearing down the prison looking atmosphere of those projects and placing the residents in much more desirable conditions.
There is no comparison between London and Tampa as far as crime is concerned. Tampa should wear it as a badge of honor that it is a major city and there is only a handful of government project housing. Tampa may not be NYC, London, Paris, etc... but it is a great place to live.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:22 PM

2,413 posts, read 5,747,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelibyan View Post
Agreed... I did some charity work down in Central Park years ago and was shocked to discover they have been torn down. Tampa has done a good job tearing down the prison looking atmosphere of those projects and placing the residents in much more desirable conditions.
There is no comparison between London and Tampa as far as crime is concerned. Tampa should wear it as a badge of honor that it is a major city and there is only a handful of government project housing. Tampa may not be NYC, London, Paris, etc... but it is a great place to live.
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay