Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:04 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Don't look at Tampa by itself. This area is Tampa Bay, 4.4 million people. Compare that to metro Toledo.

Chicago may be an international city, TB though is a better place to live.
He forgot to mention..... Chicago is a dump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
I think you will have a better chance of a happy move if you embrace the place you've moved to. It irks me to see transplants with their Yankee or Red Sox caps spouting off on how good things were up north. Not the best way to make new friends and join a new community.
If it was all so good, they would have never left. Then they wonder why nobody down here wants to know them. Always telling us how bad we have it.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I get a kick out of NYers, Chicagoans, Bostonians that think the center of the universe is in their "international" cities.

As a former NYker I have to agree with you.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Without a doubt at all. Not a chance in hell that I would ever live anywhere, other than Florida. There are just so many options we have here, that other places simply do not have.
The only time we do leave is on a cruise. We used to go up more frequently to play tourist in Manhattan but that has come to an end. Its not worth the hassle to go/be there.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Yup culture shock.. overall TB provides better QOL than Chicago.. (worldwide only Canberra, Ottawa and Zurich have highest scores, according to this site.)(see Quality of Life Index Rate)

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Why do you think the people keep coming here? They all know this is the place to be.

Last edited by Yac; 08-27-2014 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-01-2014, 11:37 AM

Default !

I spend my money here too. What makes northern money different? You are still stuck on money. Not healthy.

We know the wages are lower here. Most of us dont find it a problem. If I would have stayed in NYC I would now be making $125-150k a year with benefits that arent offered anymore. I would have 35 years in with the company. What good is it when there are city, state and federal taxes to pay and a cost of living that is the highest in the nation. Also there is no quality of life. Its just a huge rat race.
Gee wiz, I could get a house on Long Island for 1/2 mil and 12-15k a year in taxes on it. Plus the heating costs when heating oil is about $3.50 a gallon and I would need to heat it from October-April.

As I asked, what food are they getting that I am not? What is special about the food in Chicago? Ive eaten in Chicago and Bensonville. Never found it a big deal. There is nothing in NYC that I cant get here.

Sinkholes occur in several states. Not unique to FL. How often do you see mention of sinkholes in the news? Rarely. That is why they are news.

Insurance is based on the coverages you choose. I dont need to insure my house for $500k replacement value when it would take a fraction of that much to rebuilt it from the ground up. Same with my auto policies which are sufficient but not the highest available. Thus my HOI is just under $1k a year, I insure 2 cars for $87 a month and my property taxes are less than $700 a year. I do remember when HOI was $600 a year.

You really need to get over the money hangup. There is more to life than the amount of the paycheck.
It is more about being happy in life. Living where it is as perfect for you as can be, have good health, and good friends. What you like to do in life needs to be nearby and accessible.

Union jobs aside, most jobs which require a brain here pay pretty good. The thing with union workers is they really dont need a brain. They just have to have one skill, stand on an assembly line and that is their entire working lives. There are much more challenging occupations.

Go and count your money. I am in Ocala and am going to lunch with a long time client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Yes, it is the weather that draws us from the North to here. And most that moved here from the North are retired and are spending our money here now. But the weather is the only reason most moved here. It sure was not for the food that is here, and not for the higher insurance and sinkholes that are here. So yes people from the North will always compare their state to yours. Just as If people from Tampa that moved north compare Florida to lets say Chicago. But you cannot say that the wages here are like that of the North. There is no way that Florida will ever pay union wages and benefits. Who do you think retired here from the North Allot of UAW and Teamsters and Skilled Tradesman from their unions like the Plumbers and Electrical. So stop saying that the wages are the same as up north. I retired from Michigan and there is no way I could have made here what i made there. So weather is the only thing You have going for you here. Im sure if it stayed warm all year long in Michigan Or Chicago people would just stay put instead of becoming snowbirds with two houses.

Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 AM

4,584 posts, read 4,194,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
He forgot to mention..... Chicago is a dump.
To which part of Chicago are you referring ?

Old 08-01-2014, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunigal99 View Post
I think you will have a better chance of a happy move if you embrace the place you've moved to. It irks me to see transplants with their Yankee or Red Sox caps spouting off on how good things were up north. Not the best way to make new friends and join a new community.
Maybe they should take off their Red Sox / Yankee caps and become Rays fans ? Not gonna happen ...

And did these same transplants say they were not happy in their new location ? There is zero wrong with talking up where you came from ... good and bad everywhere.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftee View Post
To which part of Chicago are you referring ?
Auburn Gresham

North Lawndale

Washington Park

South Evanston

Austin

Humboldt Park

Garfield Park

Need more?

Old 08-01-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Auburn Gresham

North Lawndale

Washington Park

South Evanston

Austin

Humboldt Park

Garfield Park

Need more?
Some Chicagoans from Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, River North might think Spring Hill is a dump ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay