Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2008, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times

Advertisements

Me and my family are probably going to move to the Tampa area in 2010. I am in nursing school and will relocate there for at least 3 years. The company that owns the hospitals will pay for my ADN. Unfortunately I have no idea where to relocate. The hospitals are Memorial of Tampa, Town and Country, or Palms of Pasadena. I know they may not be the absolute best hospitals, but I can hardly turn down 3 years for over $24,000 private nursing school and $7500 relocation. I do not plan on buying, at least at first, need 3 bedrooms, safe and clean area, and good school district. I would prefer not to have to worry about the choice thing and actually move into a good high school area. Thanks in advance for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 07:28 PM

119 posts, read 524,900 times
Default Me Too

Hi everyone,

I don't want to take away from the thread but I also plan to move to Tampa Bay and don't know much about the area. I'm from Columbus Ohio & I could tell a newcomer which areas to live in in my hometown on a street by street basis. I hope someone in this forum could tell me.

My husband has taken a position in Temple Terrace. We want to rent for at least one year. I will try to find a job in PR so a central location is fine. I am in my 20s and he is in his early 30s. My first concern is safety. Two, we would like someplace near shopping, restaurants, etc., but not a party district. We don't need a lot of space at all so we would rather rent an expensive 1 bedroom in a safe area than a big place that is dangerous. We would like to spend no more than $1000 and our limit is $1200 a month.

Could someone point me in the right direction? So far "south tampa" or the area south of downtown looks the most promising? Would Temple Terrace be a safe bet? I am clueless!

Blair

Old 01-02-2008, 08:33 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Hi everyone,

I don't want to take away from the thread but I also plan to move to Tampa Bay and don't know much about the area. I'm from Columbus Ohio & I could tell a newcomer which areas to live in in my hometown on a street by street basis. I hope someone in this forum could tell me.

My husband has taken a position in Temple Terrace. We want to rent for at least one year. I will try to find a job in PR so a central location is fine. I am in my 20s and he is in his early 30s. My first concern is safety. Two, we would like someplace near shopping, restaurants, etc., but not a party district. We don't need a lot of space at all so we would rather rent an expensive 1 bedroom in a safe area than a big place that is dangerous. We would like to spend no more than $1000 and our limit is $1200 a month.

Could someone point me in the right direction? So far "south tampa" or the area south of downtown looks the most promising? Would Temple Terrace be a safe bet? I am clueless!

Temple Terrace East of 56th street is nice and safe area to rent, and hubby would be close to work until you get a good feel for the area. 56th street in Temple Terrace has most of the shops/restaurants, there is a large concentration of them around 56th street and Fowler Ave. You may even look into renting a housre for around 1200/month in that area.

Tampa Plams and New Tampa would be about 15-20 minutes from Temple Terrace and give you nice, safe suburban. Most fo the area has been built in the past 10-20 years, so all is reletively new. If YOU had to work downtown or westshore areas, the communte would be terrible though.

Consult with a realtor that specializes in rentals or Apartment Hunters, you may find renting a pricately owned condo or townhome may be best.

Last edited by tampaguy03; 01-02-2008 at 09:13 AM..

Old 01-02-2008, 09:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Hmmm. I was in Tampa recently, staying in Oldsmar, and it didn't take me long to get to Town and County at all. About 15 minutes it seemed. Westchase is a very clean, newer area, which from what I understand has good schools and it's right next door to Town and Country. That's probably expensive though. How about north Pinellas County? I heard Palm Harbor and the "East Lake" areas have the best schools up that way and I liked the sturdy feel and how you were never far from the water.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 AM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Default lived in TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJS1981 View Post
Hi everyone,

Blair

As a woman, I have to disagree with Tampa Guy. Apartment complexes vary and have lots of students in some. Just an aside, you'll see a lot of women in head scarves and chodors because CAIR's hq is in Temple Terrace.
University Plaza mall is the least safe mall in the whole of Tampa Bay even tho it has Macy's and other major retailers. Fowler Ave is very iffy and Fletcher is worse. Restaurants are chains the "nicest" being Carraba's I'm from NY and felt anxious in those areas during the day.
Go online to http://www.apartmentguide.com.
You want "university area and New Tampa." There are nice apts. in the U area because it is a major research U so lots of docs coming on fellowship and other short term reasons. Let price guide you. a nice 2 br will run to the top of your budget and there might be lots of students doing the roommate thing. Complexes can't tell you what the demographics are because of Fair Housing. The closer to Fletcher Ave you are the more likely to be in a student complex. Avoid Bearss Ave. very iffy. "New Tampa" is bland but for safety and big box shopping it has what you want. since you are using this as a base to find a place to buy, that is what I'd suggest. Once you find your way around, depending on what part of TT he's working in, South Tampa may work if he's willing to take the Crosstown Expy. YOu could find a rental there now and if you want an "intown" feel and he's in the more southern part of TT it'll be ok but during the week, from 56th and Fowler it's terrible.
After rereading your post, I have to say again the commute will be a pain from either NT or South Tampa but being young and if you want town as opposed to totally suburban/family, South Tampa will be better. Avoid University if safety is your primary concern. Even the daytime is bad, lots of carjacks and holdups in parking lots.
ONE LAST THING. YOU MENTION "SOMETHING CENTRAL" THE PROBLEM WITH TAMPA IS THERE IS NOTHING CENTRAL BUT I'M GUESSING THAT FOR YOU THE PR JOBS ARE MORE DOWNTOWN.

Old 01-04-2008, 07:59 PM

119 posts, read 524,900 times
Default Thank you so much...

Thank you for this advice. I really appreciate it. I have been searching apartments in Tampa and comparing them to apartment reviews online. I am encountering the same problem or frustration, that I can not look at a map and sense which areas are good and which are bad. So it's a bit of a crap shoot. But I may name some locations and hopefully receive the same helpful feedback.

Blair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay