Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 09:40 AM

734 posts, read 920,259 times

Advertisements

Just go to Oystercatchers or Ocean Prime. Expensive, but damn good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2015, 10:06 AM

1,163 posts, read 2,099,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
Well you'd think there would be an abundance of very good seafood choices here and there just aren't any. I say go back to the Colonnade and see what you think. The best seafood dive that I've found in the 8 years of living here is called the ""The Fish House". Thee BEST gulf shrimp and fish yet! It looks like a shack on the side of the road on Shellpoint Rd going towards Little Harbor resort. Most of their food is fried but I guarantee you its super fresh and delicious! !!!!
Being from South Carolina originally, this is something I immediately noticed after I first moved down and it was very surprising.

Many places will offer a good Grouper sandwich, for example...but a whole menu of quality seafood at a decent price is hard to find. The ones that are good are more upscale. Back in South Carolina, you'd find seafood shacks all over the coastal areas with fantastic food at great prices in a really casual setting.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:05 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Thanks, all!

Old 01-24-2015, 02:18 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Once upon a time you could find an abundance of little fish shacks with amazing seafood all over the Tampa Bay area. Most have disappeared, due to expensive real estate, and more importantly, overfished waters and the fact that most seafood is now sky-high. Therefore, the better seafood seems to be found at more upscale places.

At least where I live, (near Bradenton) there seems to be a few more choices - in the area of Cortez, it is still a working fisherman village, one of the few left in Florida, so you can get some really good and fresh seafood, but it won't be cheap. That doesnt exist anymore.

Frankly, I have found that Bonefish, which is a chain restaurant has some of the best and most reasonably priced seafood anywhere, and at a pretty good price point. I am sure some will disagree, but honestly, I have never had a bad experience the years I have been eating there, and I have eaten at several locations.

Old 01-24-2015, 04:06 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,921,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Once upon a time you could find an abundance of little fish shacks with amazing seafood all over the Tampa Bay area. Most have disappeared, due to expensive real estate, and more importantly, overfished waters and the fact that most seafood is now sky-high. Therefore, the better seafood seems to be found at more upscale places.

At least where I live, (near Bradenton) there seems to be a few more choices - in the area of Cortez, it is still a working fisherman village, one of the few left in Florida, so you can get some really good and fresh seafood, but it won't be cheap. That doesnt exist anymore.

Frankly, I have found that Bonefish, which is a chain restaurant has some of the best and most reasonably priced seafood anywhere, and at a pretty good price point. I am sure some will disagree, but honestly, I have never had a bad experience the years I have been eating there, and I have eaten at several locations.
Thanks so much, gypsychic. You are always so helpful and informative!

I agree regarding Bonefish. We have them in Atlanta, and they are good.

We're going to two great seafood places in Orlando & New Smyrna Beach before we head over to Tampa, so we've decided to completely change things up. My other half has never experienced upscale Cuban, so I've decided that the Columbia will be it. I love the place, and it just fits.

Thanks again everyone for the helpful and friendly advice and opinions.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:19 AM

25 posts, read 54,376 times
We have eaten at the Colonnade only once, mid last year. It is in a prime location, but it is dated and seems to be catering for local elderly. The food was average, but reasonably cheap considering its sits on Bay Shore. I would say that if you are after a nice meal, there are a lot of other options around the S MacDill and S Howard Avenue area (in no particular order):
- 717 South
- Piquant
- Copper Fish
- BT Restaurant
- Ceviche
- Bella's
- Boca

Old 01-25-2015, 06:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,648,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I enjoy Bonefish and along with Carrabba's I have never had a bad meal there...How is Roy's in Tampa by the International Mall...we had a gift card from there but "re"gifted it because I really wasn't sure of the food? Has anyone on here been to Roy's? Good/bad...?

Old 01-25-2015, 06:36 AM

734 posts, read 920,259 times
Why would you regift a card for a place you've never tried? That just seems odd to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay