Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 08:53 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
I have no dog in this fight...I'm speaking honestly when I say I would never buy a home in Holiday...but I will say there are two areas Vista Key and I forgot the other name(off Anclote Blvd)...they border Tarpon Springs near Gulf...the homes look nicely kept and are newer...but you still would have to deal with the school system if you have kids...and one of the two subdivisions I mentioned had sinkhole issues about six months ago...
Right ^^. I have no dog in this fight, either. Rather I am a Florida native, and have positive things to say about most cities and towns in Florida. BUT Holiday is a dump. I didn't like it even before it went downhill - and now it is a complete pit. I would not want property there if you gave it to me. That is my honest and unbiased opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 09:39 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,122,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vannort54 View Post
Yea the whole area is a septic tank. Get off your butt and take a drive and stop trying to use google earth oh I forgot you think the whole state of Florida is a paradise and that all the cities and towns are the Emerled city. And spring hill is the enchanted city right. You just can't take others peoples word you always have to be right.
Dont be an arse all your life. I have no reason to make the trip except to **** away a few gallons of gas, but next time I am in Tarpon Springs I will have to see it. It is not simply a matter of taking anyone's word for it as I have read postings from several people who's opinion I trust as reliable. Here am I, asking for a simple request, asking for an intersection I can go by to see this alleged mess. I looked at the crime charts, nothing problematic there, I looked at real estate listings and find a few listings under 100k, but also listings for well over $100k. But thanks for your snotty response.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine809 View Post
I originally posted this because looking at the crime stats, etc., it didn't look too bad. I'll probably take a look when I do an exploratory visit. I read this forum and I read negative things about every city in Florida. No where seems like the place to be. I thought about St. Pete but looking at the crime stats there..it looks terrifying. The best thing to do is just visit and make my own decision about where to live. Of course money, which I don't have a lot of, will be a huge factor. I know I can't afford a $500K home in a gated community. It just isn't happening plus I really don't want to live in a huge home. I want to spend my free time having fun, not cleaning and taking care of a huge yard.
I understand your dilemma. Ive been in FL for 25 years and frankly have never seen a place that fits the description of a place that meets the descriptions I have read here over the years. I lived in Orlando for 17 years. From day one there I was told that an area known as Parramore was a ghetto.

I know what a ghetto looks like as I have seen the South Bronx (I was born there), the Lower East Side of Manhattan, a.k.a. Alphabet City, various parts of Harlem, a lot of places in Brooklyn such as Crown Heights, Bedford Stuyvesant, and East New York. I grew up in Flatbush. Now those are ghettos, places where you just don't want to go no matter who you are.

So, here I was driving through Parramore in Orlando. My exact words where "these people dont know how to run a ghetto". I parked the car, walked around, got a soda and a sandwich from a grocery store, sat down on a bench in a small park and observed. I was offered the opportunity to buy drugs (weed, cocaine, crack), 3 or 4 times. I was offered the services of a passing prostitute, but never felt that I wouldnt get out of there alive, a feeling I still get when I am in certain areas of the Bronx in New York City. Perhaps my impression of what a ghetto or "dump" looks like and what many of these white bread boys consider as a ghetto or dump are very different. However, if your life demands that you live in a less than savory area, so it is. Anyone with a job can own a $30-50k house and invest their efforts in fixing it up. It's been happening in a lot of cities and towns across the country and is called "urban pioneering", "urban renewal" and "gentrification".

I have personal knowledge that areas in several parts of Brooklyn that I mentioned above are under going "gentrification" now. Google "Kings Theater Brooklyn" and that shows the story. "The Kings" is in the heart of Flatbush Brooklyn. It was closed for 25 years or so due to it being in the middle of one of the worse sections of Brooklyn. Diana Ross was the opening act at the re-opening of The Kings, Crosby Stills and Nash are going to be there soon, I will be there when Jackson Brown takes the stage in September.

If it can be done in Flatbush Brooklyn, it could be done anywhere, All you need is the people who want to bring a down trodden area back to pristine condition for themselves as well as an investment that will pay off in spades.

If there actually are $30k houses there I know I am going to be in line to buy 2 soonest.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:15 AM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
I understand your dilemma. Ive been in FL for 25 years and frankly have never seen a place that fits the description of a place that meets the descriptions I have read here over the years. I lived in Orlando for 17 years. From day one there I was told that an area known as Parramore was a ghetto.

I know what a ghetto looks like as I have seen the South Bronx (I was born there), the Lower East Side of Manhattan, a.k.a. Alphabet City, various parts of Harlem, a lot of places in Brooklyn such as Crown Heights, Bedford Stuyvesant, and East New York. I grew up in Flatbush. Now those are ghettos, places where you just don't want to go no matter who you are.

So, here I was driving through Parramore in Orlando. My exact words where "these people dont know how to run a ghetto". I parked the car, walked around, got a soda and a sandwich from a grocery store, sat down on a bench in a small park and observed. I was offered the opportunity to buy drugs (weed, cocaine, crack), 3 or 4 times. I was offered the services of a passing prostitute, but never felt that I wouldnt get out of there alive, a feeling I still get when I am in certain areas of the Bronx in New York City. Perhaps my impression of what a ghetto or "dump" looks like and what many of these white bread boys consider as a ghetto or dump are very different. However, if your life demands that you live in a less than savory area, so it is. Anyone with a job can own a $30-50k house and invest their efforts in fixing it up. It's been happening in a lot of cities and towns across the country and is called "urban pioneering", "urban renewal" and "gentrification".

I have personal knowledge that areas in several parts of Brooklyn that I mentioned above are under going "gentrification" now. Google "Kings Theater Brooklyn" and that shows the story. "The Kings" is in the heart of Flatbush Brooklyn. It was closed for 25 years or so due to it being in the middle of one of the worse sections of Brooklyn. Diana Ross was the opening act at the re-opening of The Kings, Crosby Stills and Nash are going to be there soon, I will be there when Jackson Brown takes the stage in September.

If it can be done in Flatbush Brooklyn, it could be done anywhere, All you need is the people who want to bring a down trodden area back to pristine condition for themselves as well as an investment that will pay off in spades.

If there actually are $30k houses there I know I am going to be in line to buy 2 soonest.
Plenty of run down homes in the 30k range, It will take another 20 to 30k to get them in shape, but then you have a nicer home in a dumpy hood.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:19 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,649,029 times
Quote:

I think where the difference lies in an areas gentrification is it's proximity to a major city...say for example Brooklyn,Harlem,Hoboken and Jersey City...Now Holiday does have water but after you pay to bulldoze all the old rundown homes and build new built to code elevated homes it puts you at a price range that is prohibitive to most...

Old 03-15-2015, 10:25 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,123,752 times
Quote:
Dont be an arse all your life. I have no reason to make the trip except to **** away a few gallons of gas, but next time I am in Tarpon Springs I will have to see it. It is not simply a matter of taking anyone's word for it as I have read postings from several people who's opinion I trust as reliable. Here am I, asking for a simple request, asking for an intersection I can go by to see this alleged mess. I looked at the crime charts, nothing problematic there, I looked at real estate listings and find a few listings under 100k, but also listings for well over $100k. But thanks for your snotty response.
Looking on line and looking for your self are 2 different things. I always look rather than rely on what I read on the web. I don't know the intersections as I'm new to this area and have only been there once. But once is enough. Look what others are saying so im not wrong. Like you I know what ghetto is. I worked in the ghettos of Detroit you know the murder city I've seen it all. So I know ghetto when I see it and Holiday is a ghetto city. And I have been to the south side of Chicago were all the shooting's have taken place and were you put your life in danger by walking the streets.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:43 AM

30,421 posts, read 21,228,470 times
Quote:
Looking on line and looking for your self are 2 different things. I always look rather than rely on what I read on the web. I don't know the intersections as I'm new to this area and have only been there once. But once is enough. Look what others are saying so im not wrong. Like you I know what ghetto is. I worked in the ghettos of Detroit you know the murder city I've seen it all. So I know ghetto when I see it and Holiday is a ghetto city. And I have been to the south side of Chicago were all the shooting's have taken place and were you put your life in danger by walking the streets.
Some of these home sellers on here will just lie to make a buck. It happens time after time.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:29 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,123,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Some of these home sellers on here will just lie to make a buck. It happens time after time.
Sure it is Florida is the Capitol when it comes to scams and flim flan I never in my 60 yrs of being on this earth have see so many scam artist that I have seen in Florida. The latest is that woman who claimed to have breast cancer.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyer232 View Post
Holiday is very affordable but there is nothing good to do there. Its a little bit run down. If your looking for a cheap place in price to live that's it. If you have to work for a living move closer to St Petersburg or Tampa.
I took a little on line trip around Holiday and I saw several different neighborhoods. I saw a mobile home area, a concrete block homes area and a sub division. Looks pretty much like Just About Anywhere, FL USA.

If u do a search of Images on Google under "Ghettos FL" you can see what a real ghetto looks like. The slums.

Holiday does look a bit "run down" in places. Looks like a great place to live if you are a lower income family that wants a place to call home. It is close to Tampa so commuting would not be much of a concern.

I will certainly take a more in depth look at Holiday next time I am down that way. We rarely go south of SR
54 as there is nothing we need down that way.

The crime rate and other factors do not paint the picture Ive seen here though.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Sure it is Florida is the Capitol when it comes to scams and flim flan I never in my 60 yrs of being on this earth have see so many scam artist that I have seen in Florida. The latest is that woman who claimed to have breast cancer.
Yeah, never happens in Michigan

Woman Says Scamming Doctor Faked Her Cancer Diagnosis - FOX 29 News Philadelphia | WTXF-TV

Michigan woman who faked cancer sentenced to 1-year term | Fox News

http://courts.mi.gov/News-Events/pre...ail%20scam.pdf

Job scams are targeting Michigan's unemployed : News : UpNorthLive.com

Terrifying Phone Scam Reaches Michigan | Dearborn, MI Patch

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...it-hits-it-big

I can find many many more scam related stories.

Here you can learn about the drug problems in Michigan:

Michigan Initiates Attack on Prescription Drug Problem - Addiction Treatment | Elements | Drug Rehab Treatment Centers

Substance Abuse - Michigan in Brief

'Rampant' meth problem in Southwest Michigan keeps growing | MLive.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay