Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 12:47 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,821,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheknife View Post
That's not what I am getting at...

They are building tens of thousands of units right now. There is no big influx in jobs. In fact, the job market here is, and has been pretty mediocre, even in the run up to the last bubble. I have lived here my entire life and I am in my late 30's.

So they are building thousands of homes, and I might add too, apartment complexes... so in theory, people will be moving from existing housing to these new homes / apartments, right?

So that leaves two things, empty homes or apartments SOMEWHERE, or these are spec houses and there's fixing to be a huge bubble.

Remember all the empty units in S.E. Hillsborough in 2008-2011? Half finished subdivisions, ghost towns

I just do not see the impetus for all this growth... especially in Pasco, drive up and down US 19 and seeing empty strip malls and other death and destruction
I cannot agree more.
I also have no clue where people will have to work to support newly built homes. If we look the average price for new built, we can tell people either need to work on well paid qualify jobs, or work on non-qualify jobs and live house-poor which in the matter of time will create huge bubble bust.

All major employment centers are either by Westchase, downtown, and USF. If most people will travel from Pasco to these area, I don't want to see traffic at all... ever... and move somewhere far away
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 02:00 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,245,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
Wow, 35 minutes from LOL to Riverview? During what time of the day? It takes me 30 minutes to get from Wiregrass mall area to Fletcher exit on I-75 during morning hours (around 7:30 am)

I leave the house around 6:15am. leave riverview around 4-4:30pm.

Quote:
All major employment centers are either by Westchase, downtown, and USF. If most people will travel from Pasco to these area, I don't want to see traffic at all... ever... and move somewhere far away
That is not true, there are plenty of good employment opportunities in other areas. Im not sure what you consider "good" but with a large majority of these families having dual incomes, it doesn't take much more than 50k a year each to support a half way decent living. 50k isn't overly hard to achieve and im assuming many of these families are doing a bit better than that.. This sort of income can even be achieved in retail, field work (construction, etc..) Also dont forget about amazon, Brighthouse (In riverview), progressive (riverview) and all of the other companies that employee a large amount of people.

I know the stereo type is that you have to work down town to make a lot of money but that isnt really the case..

Old 03-30-2015, 02:57 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,796,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Tim Tim View Post

That is not true, there are plenty of good employment opportunities in other areas. Im not sure what you consider "good" but with a large majority of these families having dual incomes, it doesn't take much more than 50k a year each to support a half way decent living. 50k isn't overly hard to achieve and im assuming many of these families are doing a bit better than that.. This sort of income can even be achieved in retail, field work (construction, etc..) Also dont forget about amazon, Brighthouse (In riverview), progressive (riverview) and all of the other companies that employee a large amount of people.

I know the stereo type is that you have to work down town to make a lot of money but that isnt really the case..
A lot of these people have their own businesses , work in the Tampa area, work from home and have dual incomes. I realized it doesn't take too much money to afford a house down here especially coming from up north. If you sell your house up there for 800k then most likely you can buy house here with no mortgage. I agree Pasco needs to attract more large employers but if people are moving here able to support themselves why worry yourself.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:

I was not talking about "good", but major employment centers. These areas are have higher concentration of employment spots. These area where the majority is traveling to and from. These areas are used in different researches like public transit study, roadway analysis for future needs and so on.
Of course there are offices, stores, factories somewhere else.

As for the salaries... check out median household income Tampa Florida Household Income | Department of Numbers
It's under $60K for family.
When you have two adults with $50K+ income each, you are above median big time. If one income is lost, you are at or below median. This is what happened to people buying during last bubble based on 2 good incomes - one person lost job and it became hard to carry mortgage...

Old 03-31-2015, 12:29 PM

those average incomes are a bit lower than I expected. are retired people counted as people with 0 income or something?

I don't know how a family could live even half way decently on 50k total.

Old 03-31-2015, 12:34 PM

77 posts, read 108,317 times
Anyone live in these suburbs (currently) and would like to give me a review of what you like or don't like?

Old 03-31-2015, 01:20 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,796,745 times
Quote:
I was not talking about "good", but major employment centers. These areas are have higher concentration of employment spots. These area where the majority is traveling to and from. These areas are used in different researches like public transit study, roadway analysis for future needs and so on.
Of course there are offices, stores, factories somewhere else.

As for the salaries... check out median household income Tampa Florida Household Income | Department of Numbers
It's under $60K for family.
When you have two adults with $50K+ income each, you are above median big time. If one income is lost, you are at or below median. This is what happened to people buying during last bubble based on 2 good incomes - one person lost job and it became hard to carry mortgage...
Well its very common for the city income to be lower than surrounding areas as a lot people commute from suburbs. Also until the official census comes out again in 2020 the I look at the numbers more serious as the area is always changing and adding jobs.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
those average incomes are a bit lower than I expected. are retired people counted as people with 0 income or something?

I don't know how a family could live even half way decently on 50k total.
I don't think retired people were counted as people with 0 income.

As for the $50K family income - I know how it possible because I've been there done that. As more money you earn, as more you are spending. When you are on limited income you spend less. For example, vacation is something local on the budget like motel across the street from the beach, but when you make more, you are traveling to more expansive places. It's not hard to advance from being on budget to making more $$, but it's way harder to lose income and go back to being on the budget.
Buying a house based on 2 incomes is not always a smart decision in my opinion because in case something happens with second person income it might be difficult to deal with financially.

But still, many families live on $50K income. I know real life examples when people with $60K income were buying $300K houses.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I don't think retired people were counted as people with 0 income.

As for the $50K family income - I know how it possible because I've been there done that. As more money you earn, as more you are spending. When you are on limited income you spend less. For example, vacation is something local on the budget like motel across the street from the beach, but when you make more, you are traveling to more expansive places. It's not hard to advance from being on budget to making more $$, but it's way harder to lose income and go back to being on the budget.
Buying a house based on 2 incomes is not always a smart decision in my opinion because in case something happens with second person income it might be difficult to deal with financially.

But still, many families live on $50K income. I know real life examples when people with $60K income were buying $300K houses.
I dont even know how thats possible, we went from dual incomes to a single income (higher than you mention) and are on a budget with a 170k house. We are going to go back to dual income soon but dont plan on increasing bills, not sure how people live that way.

Quote:
Anyone live in these suburbs (currently) and would like to give me a review of what you like or don't like?
I live in Land O Lakes which is adjacent to Wesley Chappell in Pasco - I really like it, I hate living in deed restricted areas so we made sure to purchase somewhere that is not deed restricted. I worked in south tampa for a long time and to compare the 2, they are just too different. It depends what you like.

what I DONT like is that its a bit of a commute to get to downtown or the nice beaches, the plus side is housing is much more affordable and there is still quite a bit of things to do/shopping out here.

Old 04-01-2015, 02:26 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,618,066 times
The Pasco County Government has their Comprehensive Plan (typically to 10 years) and other projects (including current) posted on their website here --> Pasco County, FL - Official Website - Long Range Planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay