Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 AM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times

Advertisements

I read a question from a guy asking about a career in RE. I'm not talking about buying or selling a home. I understand the market very well. I may have mixed up my threads however. Sorry if I did that.
Yeeah, we're in trouble, not just in Tampa bay, the whole country is a mess right now. The discouraging thing is there was a post on some thread where the poster said things will get better when we have a new prez. NOT Things will get better when we get the attitude our grandparents had and decide to make better lives for ourselves by OURSELVES. The only government that can take care of all your needs is a dictatorship and even then, if you aren't in the "right" group you're worse off. And if you are in the "right" group, you still live by someone else's idea of what YOU need instead of being self determined.
If that's not where you want to be, get out there and do whatever it takes, as long as it's still legal.
Ok, I'm off my soap box now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
jessiesma: I wasn't attacking you in any way either. Again you brought up the real estate thing. I just don't understand why you would bring up real estate when the whole market across most of the us is crappy right now. You make it seem as if it is a Tampa problem. There are only a very few areas in the US where the market hasn't slumped. I was 1500 miles from here over Christmas and it was the same problem if not worse than here. It seemed like every other house had a for sale sign on it. The market got out of hand for the past few years and now it has busted. Too many people thought they were going to get rich because of the insane inflation on their homes. Now the market is going to "re-adjust" itself for the years of overinflation. That is exactly what is happening right now. The people who are able to sell their homes right now are people who dropped their prices considerably. Hence, a "buyer's market".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 PM

59 posts, read 233,952 times
Default Destiny? or .........

I guess it's fair to say we all agree that the housing market and the us economy is in crisis right now. I just wonder about the job market in tampa, on one hand i hear that the job market is just like anywhere else and you have to look there are great jobs out there and how some people know somebody who know somebody who has a great position at XYZ company while the major of those you talk to say there arent any good jobs in tampa. I think it just might be a destiny thing or something b/c i've been here for 3 years, w/degree, years of experience, do my share of networking and still nothing. I really like to stay in tampa it's a cool place, nice folks and all but i am just too ambitious to just stay here without any progress (career wise). Is it the luck of the draw, destiny, fate, karma or just timeing? I do agree that you should have a plan and as someone said research the heck out the market, things could really work out great based on what type of field you're in. I'm moving back to the midwest next month I was offered a great job and i accepted so all is not lost.

I wish the best of luck to everyone on their life journey!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:50 PM

127 posts, read 427,531 times
The majority of people I know in Tampa have good jobs so my experience is obviously different from some of the posters here. In fact, the engineering firm that I work for has had to relocate people down here to keep up with the demand. Just because you can't find a job does not automatically mean that the job market in this metro area of over 2.5 million is in the crapper. That's just one of many largely baseless generalizations that I keep reading here. Now the housing market is another story - that IS in the crapper at the present...

Old 01-18-2008, 05:30 AM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Wink interesting take

well not everyone is, can be or wants to be an engineer or work in a position that supports one until you guys figure out how to get everything else done by robots I guess the rest of us will have to struggle with low wages, high competition and just more and more of our jobs going offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
The majority of people I know in Tampa have good jobs so my experience is obviously different from some of the posters here. In fact, the engineering firm that I work for has had to relocate people down here to keep up with the demand. Just because you can't find a job does not automatically mean that the job market in this metro area of over 2.5 million is in the crapper. That's just one of many largely baseless generalizations that I keep reading here. Now the housing market is another story - that IS in the crapper at the present...

Old 01-18-2008, 07:07 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtjr View Post
Agreed, and good point. The financial services firm I work with in Tampa is constantly hiring for people in all areas(processing, managerial, consulting, sales, marketing, etc...)....

Old 01-18-2008, 07:26 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,463,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Is Tampa a progressive city? Do you consider it to be moving forward in comparison to other cities in Florida, or even the Southeast, in terms of jobs primarily. I hear a lot of mixed emotions about the job market here, and I just want to make sure Tampa has a solid job market. I'm going to be moving down in 1.5yr with a bachelors in Marketing and Real Estate, so I want to make sure I can find a job, and be in a city with a strong economy, not only in my field but in all other aspects too. Also, how is the infrastructure there. I hear it's behind with the growth, but are they doing a lot now to attempt to fix the problem. And final, is the downtown going through a transformation with more condos, and residential units?
ha

hahahahahahahahahaha

prepare to be SERIOUSLY disillusioned! Tampa is NOT a good place for a career, cept maybe a professional degree (lawyer, dr, etc...)

and prepare for a low salary and a high cost of living...

Old 01-18-2008, 07:39 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
ha

hahahahahahahahahaha

prepare to be SERIOUSLY disillusioned! Tampa is NOT a good place for a career, cept maybe a professional degree (lawyer, dr, etc...)

and prepare for a low salary and a high cost of living...
Again, with the generalizations. I feel opposite due to the fact that most the people I knonw have very good jobs, some reletively new to the area, others that have been here all their lives, and all are in different types of professions(city and govt workers, Fortune 100 company professionals, sole propriters, sales and marketing, artists, musicians, realtors, banking, consultants, hospitality, medical and health, construction, development, etc....)

Old 01-18-2008, 10:04 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Again, with the generalizations. I feel opposite due to the fact that most the people I knonw have very good jobs, some reletively new to the area, others that have been here all their lives, and all are in different types of professions(city and govt workers, Fortune 100 company professionals, sole propriters, sales and marketing, artists, musicians, realtors, banking, consultants, hospitality, medical and health, construction, development, etc....)
I agree with you 100%. I don't know what these people are talking about at all. Everyone I know has had no problem with jobs in Tampa, or at least (to be fair) no more of a problem then anywhere else. Most of my friends here are not from here and like it here.

Common sense suggestion: If you are not happy at your McDonalds job, then go to school, get a degree, and get a better paying job like the rest of us!!! This is America, stop looking for things to be handed to you. Go out and get it!!! Nothing will fall on your lap whether you live in Tampa, or the Yukon in Canada.

Believe me, Tampa is not the depressed, jobless city as some of these people make it out to be. Yes, there are more low paying tourism based jobs here than other places but that is the nature of the beast when you live in many parts of Florida. I am not trying to make it out to be Hollywood here, but it certainly is not like Flint, MI as some people are describing it.

Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 AM

165 posts, read 516,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post
I agree with you 100%. I don't know what these people are talking about at all. Everyone I know has had no problem with jobs in Tampa, or at least (to be fair) no more of a problem then anywhere else. Most of my friends here are not from here and like it here.

Common sense suggestion: If you are not happy at your McDonalds job, then go to school, get a degree, and get a better paying job like the rest of us!!! This is America, stop looking for things to be handed to you. Go out and get it!!! Nothing will fall on your lap whether you live in Tampa, or the Yukon in Canada.

Believe me, Tampa is not the depressed, jobless city as some of these people make it out to be. Yes, there are more low paying tourism based jobs here than other places but that is the nature of the beast when you live in many parts of Florida. I am not trying to make it out to be Hollywood here, but it certainly is not like Flint, MI as some people are describing it.
That's funny. You are upset at people judging Tampa and then judge another to be an uneducated worker as well as McDonalds as a place for low lifes.

Tampa has a lot of problems when it comes to the job markets. The pay is low compared to the cost of living and the jobs are not flowing like a lot of people thought they would. It is not without hope, but there are some serious issues and if you are looking to move here it would help to research the area.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:31 AM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times
I thought you moved from Ft. Laud to Tampa because of job opportunities? And now you're bashing Tampa as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
tampa, generally speaking, is a horrible place for jobs. the economy is terrible, job market really bad and pay scale incredibly low.

Last edited by INeedAChange; 01-19-2008 at 09:32 AM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay