Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 05:57 PM

270 posts, read 796,493 times

Advertisements

I'm coming to Tampa in February with two other people, we are over 21 and want to go to some fun bars or clubs....anyone have any favorite spots they go to near the WESTSHORE Hotel (its on N West Shore BLVD)? Any places we should stay away from because there is a lot of violence? We will be there during the week and on a friday night so I need to know places that are even fun on a week night. Thanks for any suggestions! Hopefully this trip will help make the decision to move to Tampa easier and we find nice places to live too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2008, 08:02 PM

849 posts, read 3,527,704 times
Default Ybor

will probably be mentioned here and it is a big party but there is frequently violence related to excessive drinking. I'd stay away if your not from here. I can't help on the positive side but keep in mind that what's violent to you may just be a good old time to others. Ybor just seems to get more than it's share of arrests and incidents including with guns every weekend. I think Channelside has a few bars that are more respectable but still fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irreplaceable View Post
I'm coming to Tampa in February with two other people, we are over 21 and want to go to some fun bars or clubs....anyone have any favorite spots they go to near the WESTSHORE Hotel (its on N West Shore BLVD)? Any places we should stay away from because there is a lot of violence? We will be there during the week and on a friday night so I need to know places that are even fun on a week night. Thanks for any suggestions! Hopefully this trip will help make the decision to move to Tampa easier and we find nice places to live too!

Old 01-21-2008, 08:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,378,211 times
I can tell you some of the most popular places, but they cater to different types of poeple, i'm not exactly sure what you look for in bars and clubs..

near the Westshore Hotel, there in International Plaza and Bay Street about a mile to the north..Blue Martini, Bar Louie, Champps and a slew of restaurants.

For a neighborhood type feel, head to South Tampa areas like Hyde Park/SOHO(South Howard Ave). MacDintons and Dubliner; Mangroves, Hyde Park Cafe, Whiskey Park, The Rack are a few very popular places out of many int he area.

Downtown there is Jackson's Bistro and Fly Bar, and over at Channelside(Which is kind of like Bay Street), there is Banana Joe's, Velevet Room and Margarita Mama's. A stop by the Hub is a necessary for some really stiff cheap drinks and unique people.

Then there is Ybor City...some popular palces are the Green Iguana, James Joyce, Gaspar's Grotto, New World Brewery, Rare Olive..bigger clubs are Prana, Empire and the enwly reopened Amphitheater.

Nightly specials during the week, and where people go during the week changes all the time...I would ask the bell men or the taxi drivers whats happening on a particular night when you go out. I would definitely do Hyde Park on Friday evening..MacDintons, Dubliner, Mangroves and Hyde Park Cafe.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,246,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
will probably be mentioned here and it is a big party but there is frequently violence related to excessive drinking. I'd stay away if your not from here. I can't help on the positive side but keep in mind that what's violent to you may just be a good old time to others. Ybor just seems to get more than it's share of arrests and incidents including with guns every weekend. I think Channelside has a few bars that are more respectable but still fun.

Use common sense and you're fine. This isn't more of a problem in Tampa than in other places. I agree with the suggestion from Tampa Guy. I would go over to the International Plaza. Nice bars, but close to the hotel.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post

"Guns every weekend" ??? ugggg, generalizations...Ybor is a great spot, with excellent dining, and it is as much a Historic Landmark District as it is a Entertainment District(picture a mini French Quarter)..I am out there for dinner, theater shows, movies, IMPROV comedy, great live music, bands, and festivals a few times a month..i'd be more afraid of the crazy guy going at it in a shopping mall with a bazooka...but as in any area that invloves an inlfux of people and alchohol..you need to be aware of your surroundings and be street smart.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions Tampa Guy and jessiegirl. I'm just looking for some places that are laid back, oh any good beach bars on the water?? I have been to the Blue Martini and liked it but wanted to see some other places. What kind of bands do you go see Tampa guy??.... Maybe I should hit up Ybor even tho I'm an outsider not being from here. I'd love to see a good band! I definatly have street smarts and am very aware of my surroundings but can hold my own so I guess maybe I should have left out not wanting to be in a "violent" area. I just don't want to go to a bar that is known for bringing in people who have nothing better to do then start fights. Ya know what I mean?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 AM

409 posts, read 1,505,175 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions Tampa Guy and jessiegirl. I'm just looking for some places that are laid back, oh any good beach bars on the water?? I have been to the Blue Martini and liked it but wanted to see some other places. What kind of bands do you go see Tampa guy??.... Maybe I should hit up Ybor even tho I'm an outsider not being from here. I'd love to see a good band! I definatly have street smarts and am very aware of my surroundings but can hold my own so I guess maybe I should have left out not wanting to be in a "violent" area. I just don't want to go to a bar that is known for bringing in people who have nothing better to do then start fights. Ya know what I mean?
I agree with most people here. Don't worry too much about anything. Bigger cities = more people = more crime. Thats nature. Also, the more people who gather in a spot, there seems to be much more of a police presence here. Ybor is always labeled as the "dangerous spot" for nightlife in town. I have been down there many times with no issues. I have seen fights, and heard about stabbings and shootings on the news but these events are few and far between. Keep in mind that thousands and thousands of people go there so these are very isolated incidents. People should remember that most crimes are not random acts.

One downside to the Tampa Bay area is they have a really crappy beach bar scene. Pinellas is miles and miles of beaches and just about all you get is little dive beach bars. The only place that I have found where the young people gather is Shepard's on Clearwater Beach. That place gets a lot of tourists so the drinks tend to be overpriced for my taste. There are a couple spots on the end of the St. Pete Pier as well that are ok. I can't think of their names right now.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
You most probably will not be going to any of those types of places that sometimes get a "bad apple" now and then....

For Gulf Beach Bars(which are about 35-40 min from the Westshore Hotel) there is Caddy's on Treasure Island, Jimmy B's also on Treasure Island; Frenchy's, Shepards and Palm Pavilion on CLearwater Beach; Undertow in St. Pete Beach; and Hurricane Rooftop Bar on Pass-a-Grille Beach.

Tampa's "beach bars" would be Crabby Bill's on Rocky Point, and with a view of the Bay Bahama Breeze and Jackson's Bistro downtown.

Live music i'd check out Green Iguana in Ybor or the original on South Westshore Blvd(there is one now in your hotel that just opened this month, any GI usually has great live bands that do covers and original music).

Also, look up creativeloafing.com for all the bands playing in different locations. Some of my fav places for live music are Blues Shark, Orpheum, Crowbar, James Joyce, Green Iguana, New World Brewery, Double Doppler and Gaspar's Grotto, Rare Olive in Ybor, Skipper's Smokehouse in North Tampa, The Fox in the Westshore area for great upscale Jazz, Brass Mug on Fletcher Ave near 15th street has alot of heavy metal type music.

For laid back places like the Blue Martini(which you liked), then i'd suggest Mangrove's, 717 South (which has live Jazz on Wednesdays and is a cool bar/restaurant), Whiskey Park SOHO, The Rack on Tuesdays is busy with lots of "pretty people"...then across the street at Hyde Park Cafe.all on South Howard Ave and Hyde Park area; Jackson's Bistro and Fly Bar downtown.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Awsome! Thanks for taking the time to give so much info! I have taken note of every place you meantioned......I don't think a week is going to be long enough

Old 01-22-2008, 11:14 AM

849 posts, read 3,527,704 times
Default actually

well said. I mean I don't have a score card, it just seems as tho there's always something in the news about violence there more than simple bar fights, that would be bad enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
"Guns every weekend" ??? ugggg, generalizations...Ybor is a great spot, with excellent dining, and it is as much a Historic Landmark District as it is a Entertainment District(picture a mini French Quarter)..I am out there for dinner, theater shows, movies, IMPROV comedy, great live music, bands, and festivals a few times a month..i'd be more afraid of the crazy guy going at it in a shopping mall with a bazooka...but as in any area that invloves an inlfux of people and alchohol..you need to be aware of your surroundings and be street smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay