Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 04:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times

Advertisements

Tampa airport again ranks near top, say Travel & Leisure readers | Tampa Bay Times
Tampa International Airport ranks 2nd in the nation among domestic airports, according to a survey of readers of the well known Travel & Leisure magazine.

Airports were ranked among the "World's Best" from last November to March on location and access; check-in and security; restaurants and food; shopping and design, with optional feedback about business and family amenities.

Tampa International's composite score trailed just behind that of No. 1 Portland International Airport, which was awarded the top domestic spot for the third year in a row....

...Tampa International has embarked a nearly $1 billion upgrade and modernization project that will include a 2.6 million-square-foot consolidated rental car center near the entrance to the airport, a 1.4-mile automated people mover and an expansion of the main terminal. New concessions are also planned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 05:34 PM

554 posts, read 977,585 times
I can see that. I fly in and out of it every few weeks and it's a very easy airport to navigate. I with Atlanta and Charlotte would take note.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:53 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times
I feel the same. My first time there was back in the mid 70s, not long after the new terminal was completed and I still remember how impressed I was. I'm not surprised that after all these decades when I revisit the place as required, it still strikes me as being just as modern as when it was new.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:57 PM

290 posts, read 339,637 times
Now if we could only get more routes...

Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
It's a great airport. I always rave about it. I've been all over the country and our airport is one of the best. Simple, modern, efficient. And it's in a great location, very close to Downtown and South Tampa. Plus an on-site hotel.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGatsby View Post
Now if we could only get more routes...
What routes are you looking for? The options are growing. Domestically, the only thing I think we lack are direct services to San Francisco and Portland. As far as international flights go, Tampa is working on that. I love the Tampa-Zurich route, and we stole that from Orlando. Tampa is trying to prove that any route that does well out of Orlando will also do well out of Tampa, and it's true. Service to Frankfurt starts in September, and we already have the London route as well.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:55 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,906,179 times
TPA is a great airport; we use it a few times a month and it was a major factor in our move to Gulfport, since we can make it to TPA in 25 minutes, non-rush.

I also wish there were more international non-stops, rather than having to connect via Miami to Europe destinations and via other airports to more destinations in Mexico (cities other than beaches).

One negative aspect is the shuttle system to Economy Parking. I have stood in very long lines and waited for 3 of those shuttles as they filled and left, leaving most of the line behind (and growing). They need to have larger capacity buses rather than the little ones they use now.

The demand for parking at TPA makes the case for a mass transit system in the TB area. We used to live in DC-Metro and getting to Washington National is a breeze with a Metro (subway) stop at the terminal. Maybe someday TB will see the light and start a light rail system. Lack of mass transit will hurt Tampa's ability to become a major city economically.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:51 AM

745 posts, read 801,562 times
Tampa airport is great. But it was much better years ago when we had more than like 5 airlines... back in the day you could go anywhere, had lots of airline options, more airsides, etc

Old 07-09-2015, 07:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
What routes are you looking for? The options are growing. Domestically, the only thing I think we lack are direct services to San Francisco and Portland. As far as international flights go, Tampa is working on that. I love the Tampa-Zurich route, and we stole that from Orlando. Tampa is trying to prove that any route that does well out of Orlando will also do well out of Tampa, and it's true. Service to Frankfurt starts in September, and we already have the London route as well.
More direct routes to various locations around the country. It is not really totally in the airports hands, but my wife travels weekly around the country and the only way they offer a direct flight is if it goes to one of the carriers hubs. Most times she has to go through Atlanta first. Being able to go direct to more places would be immensely helpful to her and other business people. Sometimes there can be direct flights to certain locations, but the scheduling is infrequent and at odd hours. For business people who have multiple meetings to attend at different locations in the country, such as my wife, this would be a big improvement. It is just not cost efficient for the airlines.....what few we have left.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanHalen5150 View Post
Tampa airport is great. But it was much better years ago when we had more than like 5 airlines... back in the day you could go anywhere, had lots of airline options, more airsides, etc
The lack of airlines is not really TPA's fault, though. It is the fault of the government, which keeps approving these outrageous mergers. What we need is fewer big airlines and many more smaller airlines, which would then cover more places with direct service between all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay