Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,334,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnova View Post
WOW, some really great replies ! HouseCrash, you got me to under stand the rules. I might have a bigger lot than I said, I do not know exactly - my back yard is big. I have a couple neighbors that have huge front yards and small back yards. I've always preferred the back to be bigger -then you can put a pool, picnic area, porch, etc and it's private. Front yard would be less usable and upkeep would be worse.
The "tiny house" movement was my reasoning for thinking it might be done, times changing and all. I would always be LEGAL and never subvert the law, I know better. I was thinking that the zoning people might be more flexible with new ideas or issues. An older, Med. House (orig builds here) was allowed to put a HUGE garage that set really close to a neighbors back yard and they got a variance even when neighbors objected. Partly because TT wanted the house refurbished, it was run down. I do not advocate messy, illegal or bad building laws, just need to find a way to afford retirement better !!
KPB : thanks for the clarification. The areas they are showing must have flexible zoning law or something. I don't want to do the trailer idea cause you right, it's still not legal. My neighbors are wonderful, but I'd get caught for sure ! lol
Thanks Eng, Dothe, Van H, etc. Yall did help. I am frustrated that a building zone couldn't be more flexible and at least listen to plans and then determine. I guess I'll either add onto the house/garage, or give up. Best to all ! deb
Glad you understand the issue better. And your mentioning larger front or back yards is another aspect of the area that I like, true of most non HOA areas though, that the setbacks vary as opposed to new developments which seem so sterile by their placement of everything on the same line of sight.

Regardless of how nice your neighbors seem, anyone can call code anonymously. And many tend to be protective of their surroundings. To the variance, I don't know the particulars to comment, could have been something minor was allowed, not necessarily that they changed setbacks or something that a neighbor might have had better luck stopping. City boards are generally pretty good about not intruding on a neighbor's enjoyment of their own property in order to make concessions to another. I don't know if applied all the time but generally I'd think a setback change would require permission of the neighbor.

Zoning has to be somewhat strict so that people can have confidence in where they invest. You wouldn't buy a home where your neighbor could one day rezone his property as meat processing plant. So even something as seemingly mild as an extra unit could lead to absentee investors who might not keep up a property. Even if in your mind you would do a good job, one day, someone else will own your property and you've no control over what they do. Zoning protects that now and into the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2015, 10:37 AM

184 posts, read 244,809 times
ooooh,"pretty white trash" is a slur, but I understand it's meaning and u might have been going for brevity. I wouldn't want anything like that or try to get away with anything. I think the tiny house movement is kind of "overblown". I'd rather spend the money on a decent small house, not a closet ! BUT, I was wondering for my purposes of a guest house, etc.
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay