Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:47 AM

184 posts, read 244,469 times

Advertisements

I'm living in my family home in old section of TT with a large lot, maybe 85x100. I see the need to increase my income as I get older and was thinking of building a "tiny house" in my backyard and rent it. A quick email to our gov't. official told me I could not. What? I see garages, pools/enclosures, large sheds, etc and some are bigger than I'm proposing. I did not pursue it then, but think I would if I see promise.

I think they object because they don't want a lot of "owner" built or sub-quality built in back yards or even using the garage. Not good enough reason for me, as I would do all the required laws. Or they believe there is not enough room, AND they don't want rentals in on lot with a house. I see "mother in law", guest houses and the like all over the cable channels in areas similar to mine, why not here ?

I think the new "tiny house" movement would help and that the TT government is being stodgy and not thinking outside the box, at all. My need is real and this is viable. I wouldn't mind a strict interpretation of what I could do, just don't understand a NO. I do realize that going to a zoning meeting or pushing this build might be viable, they just oppose it when you first inquire, and do not promote it.

Can anyone speak on this? Ideas, advice, etc?? The other option might be to turn my garage into a studio.

Thanks for reading my LONG post ! Just wanted to be clear in my idea so I'd get answers. Appreciate your looking. p.s. I love TT, my house has been here since my parents built in 1954.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 08:58 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
There are minimum lot sizes for new homes. It doesn't matter how small it is; it's the number of residential units per lot that's set by the building code. If you have a permitted and approved structure already, you might be able to convert that to heated square footage. I would venture a guess that there are many illegal conversions throughout the area, and not just in Temple Terrace. Garage conversions are the ones I see and hear about most often. If you are in an area with no deed restrictions or homeowner's association, then converting the garage will be the easiest to get permitted and approved.

Last edited by TampaKaren; 08-16-2015 at 09:13 AM..

Old 08-16-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks for you quick and kind reply. I hadn't thought of the "units per lot" issue hard enough. But, as I said, there are larger builds that are for other uses. TT has a strong code enforcement unit. They ride around, check permits, etc. I was hoping a stand alone building , a small build would be ok. My garage is small, but would work. I will def be checking into the actual laws and restrictions. I've seen some "allowed" builds that are outside the norm and TT allowed it.

Good answer: anyone else want to help ??

Old 08-16-2015, 10:50 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
There are often zoning issues that specify the nuber of units allowed; if you are zoned R-1, you cannot have more than one dwelling unit on your parcel. Rezoning is very difficult (and expensive!).

Usually you can see the zoning map overlay for your home at the locality's website. If not a call on Monday to their offices will give you the answer.

Old 08-16-2015, 01:44 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,802,401 times
I agree it has something to do with zoning. Comparing detached garages or large shades or pool screens are not changing zoning type - because all mentioned by you are not livable units.

If you are zoned as single unit, there is not much you can do other than expend the house itself and rent room out in the future.

Sorry, but zones and codes are for a reason.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:00 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,331,611 times
In Temple Terrace an 8500 square foot lot is actually one of the smaller parcels. I think that around Riverhills Park they are mostly 9 to 10,000 with some around 8,000. One of the things I like about TT is the much larger parcels. Around the golf course there's many between a third and half acre with a sprinkling between a half and full and then up by USF you get 1/2 to an acre lots with a minimum of 10,000 sq ft. Not that 8500 isn't nice, and certainly large compared to Seminole Heights. but just saying relative to the immediate area it is not large.

What you are talking about specifically is called an accessory dwelling unit or ADU. They are not currently legal though in town exists some grandfathered in especially in areas later annexed. The grandfathering is good if they were legal when built. I don't know if the county allows them currently but they once were allowed in unincorporated county areas so that's how existing ones wound up in TT. It's $200/year with required inspection to permit them for rent. I don't know of a municipality which charges more. Most charge less by far.

TT is strict on residential properties and most likely if you try to get around the rules, you'll get caught and possibly fined. Certainly you'll be stopped. Even if you've a large family with a lot of cars which is legit, code will stop in to check. I know that for a fact. Outside of the grandfathered properties, you are only allowed I think it is 3 non family total living in one unit (I'd have to double check that number though but I think that is right).

I don't know if it would happen in time for you or even if when this might happen if an 8500 sq ft lot would at that point be considered large enough, I suspect not, but there is, I think in the long range comp plan (comprehensive plan), a section of discussion for utilizing ADUs to accommodate future population growth. Even at that point, there's usually a certain percentage of the main house which determines the maximum size of the ADU.

As well, generally when an ADU is acceptable to a city--which you would not be allowed, currently-- the main house must be owner occupied for the time that the ADU is rented. Also with regard to homestead, the value of the ADU would be subtracted from your homestead exemption and taxed separately as a non homesteaded aspect of taxation though of course that's still on your single family property so you'd maintain those benefits with regard to seizing of property, those types of issues. It would just be handled separately for taxing purposes.

Last edited by housingcrashsurvivor; 08-16-2015 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 11:46 AM

745 posts, read 800,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
There are often zoning issues that specify the nuber of units allowed; if you are zoned R-1, you cannot have more than one dwelling unit on your parcel. Rezoning is very difficult (and expensive!).

Usually you can see the zoning map overlay for your home at the locality's website. If not a call on Monday to their offices will give you the answer.
This... almost without exception, you cannot build more than 1 home per lot

Old 08-17-2015, 05:31 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,522,851 times
I think the type of "tiny house" the op is talking about is the type that's been on TV lately. There built on a trailer w/ wheels so they can be titled as a trailer or some people title them as a R.V.
The building departments don't have anything to do with them. As long as you can park a trailer in your backyard you can park a "tiny house" back there.
Living in it is not legal. Best to get a feel for your neighbor's and see if they'll have a problem with it (most people think there pretty cool).

Old 08-20-2015, 10:04 AM

WOW, some really great replies ! HouseCrash, you got me to under stand the rules. I might have a bigger lot than I said, I do not know exactly - my back yard is big. I have a couple neighbors that have huge front yards and small back yards. I've always preferred the back to be bigger -then you can put a pool, picnic area, porch, etc and it's private. Front yard would be less usable and upkeep would be worse.
The "tiny house" movement was my reasoning for thinking it might be done, times changing and all. I would always be LEGAL and never subvert the law, I know better. I was thinking that the zoning people might be more flexible with new ideas or issues. An older, Med. House (orig builds here) was allowed to put a HUGE garage that set really close to a neighbors back yard and they got a variance even when neighbors objected. Partly because TT wanted the house refurbished, it was run down. I do not advocate messy, illegal or bad building laws, just need to find a way to afford retirement better !!
KPB : thanks for the clarification. The areas they are showing must have flexible zoning law or something. I don't want to do the trailer idea cause you right, it's still not legal. My neighbors are wonderful, but I'd get caught for sure ! lol
Thanks Eng, Dothe, Van H, etc. Yall did help. I am frustrated that a building zone couldn't be more flexible and at least listen to plans and then determine. I guess I'll either add onto the house/garage, or give up. Best to all ! deb

Old 08-20-2015, 12:48 PM

53 posts, read 38,789 times
I think from their perspective, those tiny houses are like living in a travel trailer or camper, which is also against code. And pretty white trash. You can't live in a camper. It's almost universally forbidden everywhere. Those tiny houses are LESS than travel trailers or RV's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay