Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 04:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,323 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am an almost 30 year old single female who will be starting work at USF soon. I am looking to purchase a home with my mother (no judgement please ) within an hour of the campus. Any neighborhood suggestions would be greatly appreciated! A bit about us/what we are looking for:

-A fairly quiet, very safe, family-friendly area with some shopping and dining nearby (doesn’t have to be a lot). I don't really go out, so proximity to clubs/bars is not an issue. We are active, and need somewhere we could both feel safe to run and bike.

-We would really, really, really like to be close to water. We are initially from Seattle, and currently live in Georgia. One of the main reasons we are leaving is because we hate being so far inland. We understand proximity to water comes at a premium price.

-We really doesn’t like the boxy, stucco house style in the Wesley Chapel area. We would like to find something with more character.

-We loved the vibe of South Tampa, with the shops, nice places to walk by the water, and Whole Foods/Trader Joe’s close by. However, we also really like the bright, beachy Key West architecture of Mirabay in Apollo Beach. Is there anywhere we could find a sort of mesh between these two things? I have unfortunately read mixed things about Apollo Beach on this site. Would we feel safe in South Tampa? We are sort of looking for something with a similar feel to Charleston SC if there is anything like that in Tampa.

-Budget maximum is $400,000. We are open to houses, townhomes, or even condos if it will get us close to the water. We need at least 2 bedrooms.

-Personality-wise we are both not very political and quite moderate (though by Seattle standards we were considered right-leaning ).

-As I mentioned, I am willing to drive 45 minutes to an hour. Having lived in Seattle and Atlanta, I’m well accustomed to bad traffic.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 PM

201 posts, read 237,922 times
Do a Google search for "gated community in Brandon" also for Bloomingdale and for Riverview. But you will be about 30 to 50 minutes from the Gulf water in any of those communities. I suggest gated since I assume your mother will be home alone while you work. You should have plenty of choice with your budget.
If you live closer to the Gulf like in Clearwater Beach commuting to USF will be quite a chore.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Thank you for the suggestions! We live in a gated community now and do like the added sense of security. I actually hadn't heard much about Brandon until I came across it on this forum today. Looks like somewhere I need check into further.

Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 PM

We lived in Brandon for 30 years and raised 3 children, but moved from there to downsize after becoming empty nesters. It went through tremendous growth. If you live close to I-75 then USF will be 20 to 25 min. away.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:11 AM

212 posts, read 286,648 times
New Tampa?

Old 02-05-2016, 04:09 PM

Check this gated community ... in the process of being built. Less than a 5 min drive to a Super Target and a Home Depot. About a 5 min drive to Costco:
Mariposa | New Homes in 33578 from $269,990

Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
seven oaks has new construction in Wesley chapel area but lots of traffic. maybe land o lakes which also has new construction.

Old 02-05-2016, 10:33 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,525,681 times
I'd recommend south Tampa for a few reasons and I don't even live there so thats not why I'm suggesting it.

-You've been there and loved it.
-very safe area
-close to or on the water
-your both active people and would love Bayshore Blvd (longest sidewalk in the world).
-20 min.to USF

Google search "Bayshore Blvd. Condo's Tampa" and you'll find 2 and some 3br condos/townhomes within your budget.
You also might like Harbour Island. Its a gated island in south Tampa that has one of if not the nicest athletic clubs in Tampa.

Old 02-06-2016, 06:30 AM

350 posts, read 333,560 times
I never miss a chance to tell people about the fantastic realtor we were "given" by the relocation company when we moved from Indiana to Tampa...cannot say enough good things about this lady. You might look at my previous posts concerning what she has done for us and our daughter. PM if you would like her info.

Old 02-06-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanks again everyone! Great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay