Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 10:40 AM

74 posts, read 74,800 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Me and my friend are in our late twenties, she's an attorney and I'mcurrently finishing up my degree for computer programming. Although we bothhave tons of experience with working in the corporate and/or office setting, wecannot seem to find jobs that pay enough to not worry about constantlybudgeting our money (please note that we are not broke nor livelavishly). Although I get money from being in school, I never touchthose funds because the jobs here are far and in between; not to mention, itseems like one big revolving door. Therefore, that being the main reason I donot touch those funds because I'll never know when another layoff is around thecorner. Not to mention, it seems most jobs here start you off at between$8-12/hr; however, the cost of living here is ridiculously overpriced.Nevertheless, I wanted to know from other people that live here and/or havemoved here from another state.

How exactly are you staying afloat with such high rental/ car insurancerates and low wages?

Last edited by lwilson80; 02-22-2016 at 10:41 AM.. Reason: code affected verbiage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 12:27 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,239,806 times
I think that most of us that live here make more than 12/hour. I don't see how anyone could survive on that, thats a REALLY entry level pay.

Id say your completely looking in the wrong area for a job if she is an attorney and making 12/hour.. You dont really have a degree yet but once done, computer programing should have way better pay than 12/hour

Old 02-22-2016, 01:13 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwilson80 View Post
Hello,

Me and my friend are in our late twenties, she's an attorney and I'mcurrently finishing up my degree for computer programming. Although we bothhave tons of experience with working in the corporate and/or office setting, wecannot seem to find jobs that pay enough to not worry about constantlybudgeting our money (please note that we are not broke nor livelavishly). Although I get money from being in school, I never touchthose funds because the jobs here are far and in between; not to mention, itseems like one big revolving door. Therefore, that being the main reason I donot touch those funds because I'll never know when another layoff is around thecorner. Not to mention, it seems most jobs here start you off at between$8-12/hr; however, the cost of living here is ridiculously overpriced.Nevertheless, I wanted to know from other people that live here and/or havemoved here from another state.

How exactly are you staying afloat with such high rental/ car insurancerates and low wages?
Surprisingly this is a common complaint in FL, TX, CA and other popular States. Good jobs exist, but because of the number of people wanting them and the popular States having a lot of new people moving in, the job market is not what some would like. It is not a State issue it is a supply and demand issue. More people looking for work than jobs available, so the wages drop. The economy is not robust and is kinda just sliding along at about the same level as last year, so new jobs are not readily available. Employers can pay less and will until the economy, if it ever does, gets better. Look at the number of college graduates each year and then figure how many new jobs in each field actually are being created to give them work. It is an unbalanced number. Those who have degrees are competing with a lot of new and older graduates for a limited number of openings.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:46 PM

48 posts, read 71,241 times
Just fine, I live semi retired at 35 yrs old... Came to FL with saved money and then my month to month income I receive.

Old 02-22-2016, 02:44 PM

440 posts, read 596,031 times
If you are going to be a computer programmer, depending what language, you won't have trouble finding a job as it is in high demand and pays very well. I believe starting in the low $70k. That's definitely a livable wage

Old 02-22-2016, 05:12 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
I'm assuming FL wages are lower because it's a Right To Work State.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:25 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
I'm assuming FL wages are lower because it's a Right To Work State.
Lower wages because a person is not required to join a union as a prerequisite to getting a job(right to work) or because of the lack of unions in general?

22 states have "right to work" laws.

Old 02-22-2016, 05:27 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,826,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Lower wages because a person is not required to join a union as a prerequisite to getting a job(right to work) or because of the lack of unions in general?

22 states have "right to work" laws.
Actually it's 26 now.

Right to Work States | National Right to Work Legal Defense Foundation

Old 02-22-2016, 05:54 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post

Wow. They are hammering the unions.....

Old 02-22-2016, 06:26 PM

670 posts, read 1,278,185 times
I don't have low wages. I work in IT a field in demand and make more here than I did in the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: