Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 04:52 PM

9 posts, read 5,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
What is mountain biking like without any mountains?

This is a couple examples of what we call mountain biking in Oregon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsVv8DZz8s8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02A5yz0N0lI
I've biked pretty much everywhere and I love it all. There's more than just mountain biking out there. Florida is a whole new animal if you aren't accustomed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
You can take the Crosstown Expressway express lanes in to the downtown area and drive Kennedy out, or the connector over to I-4/275 to get to work. It's some added expense but is worth it. My spouse works in the West Shore area and they take the Crosstown express lanes in to downtown and then go across Cypress or other surface streets to get to their office.

From Lithia you can go up Lithia Pinecrest to Lumsden then across to the Crosstown entrance on Brandon Parkway, or go Bloomingdale and up Kings to Lumsden to the same. You're probably looking at the long side of 45 minutes at that time of day, but quite honestly, if you could go a little earlier or later it could easily shave 5 minutes or more off of your time.

Do not consider Boyette to I-75, as that's the long way in and is pretty heavy due to the Fishhawk traffic. You'll also get caught up in traffic with Riverview HS doing the school year.

RM
There's also a new set of trails they're building up around Tarpon Springs. I'd probably consider living in Dunedin too, but I don't know what happens to that commute. 35 minutes without traffic..

Old 08-07-2016, 05:09 PM

176 posts, read 217,181 times
If you need elevation changes, then Lakeland / Lake Wales are probably the closest. Still too far for a reasonable commute, but not bad for weekend rides.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:32 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,579 times
Quote:
What is mountain biking like without any mountains?

This is a couple examples of what we call mountain biking in Oregon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsVv8DZz8s8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02A5yz0N0lI

That looks like hipster downhill than mountain biking. I can't stand those rooty and rocky trails we have in the North East. Colorado has some nice and smooth trails.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:28 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iching View Post
That looks like hipster downhill than mountain biking. I can't stand those rooty and rocky trails we have in the North East. Colorado has some nice and smooth trails.
There are lots of hipsters down in Portland I but don't see many making it up this far. Although, if they transfer enough times I think they could get up here with their bus pass.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:01 PM

Location: Westchester County, NY -> Pinellas County, FL -> Dutchess County, NY -> Denver?
348 posts, read 535,579 times
Quote:
There are lots of hipsters down in Portland I but don't see many making it up this far. Although, if they transfer enough times I think they could get up here with their bus pass.
True. I prefer cross country and road cycling - spandex and all. In NY everything was bumpy and uneven with potholes everywhere.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:37 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
Highest point in FL is 354', way up on the panhandle.

Old 08-08-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
Highest point in FL is 354', way up on the panhandle.
Ok, terrific. 👍

Old 08-09-2016, 08:27 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
There is also this one, Loyce E. Harpe Park in Lakeland. You may already be familiar with it since you are an enthusiast. Lakeland itself has good elevation changes. Also, Lake Wales has the highest point in peninsular Florida "Iron Mountain" at 295 feet.

Loyce E. Harpe Park Mountain Bike Trail in Lakeland, Florida || SINGLETRACKS.COM

If you need to stay living in Tampa, maybe look in Seminole Heights? The area has more "soul", not too bad a commute to your job area, and probably within the time limits for the trails you want to hit.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2016, 05:38 PM

65 posts, read 71,213 times
I was talking about mountain biking with one of my customers and he was telling me there are some kick ass trails to ride around here. He gave me some info about a MTB group down here. I will post tomorrow if I can find his business card in my van.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay