Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2009, 10:41 AM

9 posts, read 27,959 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to the Tampa area in the near future. I'll be retired and don't have kids (so job and schools are not issues for me).

I have friends of all ages...but would say that most of my close friends - that I've made via work and volunteer - are a good 10-15 years younger than me. (I'm pretty young at heart). So, I don't care to live in a retirement community.

I've read great things about Venice, but the prices are a bit high. Brandon and Riverview sound nice and are a bit more affordable. Plus they are still close. But I can get even more by going out a bit farther.

The outlying neighborhoods that seem to have consistently positive reviews (or should I say more positive then negative on this site) and are really affordable are: Land O Lakes and Wesley. However, they are all at least 1/2 hour from Tampa proper.

Do you think I'll constantly be going back to Tampa in order to do social activities? I'm not a bar hopper (heck, I'm happy with local mom and pop restaurants) -- but, since I'm moving to an area where I don't know anyone, I'm wondering if the folks I end up connecting with will all end up being far away...

I plan on doing some Habitat for Humanity volunteer activities. Also, I'd like to join a couple of meetup.com groups (perhaps reading club, small dog club, board game club) like I've done in the D.C. area. I figure that will put me in with things that I like and also help in bridging the gap of meeting people and making friends.

Since I don't know where my friends will be, I'm trying to balance the ability to get more home for my $; and being more centrally located. Is it worth the money to be in the city of Tampa if I don't have to work there? Or do you think Brandon is close enough? Do you feel I'll end up feeling isolated if I choose to live in an area like Land O' Lakes?

It's all subjective I know - but I'd love to have your opinions!!

PS: If you are interested, read about why I think I'll be happy in Florida: //www.city-data.com/forum/florida/543907-despite-negative-postings-i-think-ill.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 12:31 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
If you were going to be commuting to Tampa every day for work, I'd say it depends on how much you enjoy driving. Personally, I hate it, so the closer I am to the action, the better.

However, since you will be retired I think you should pick a location that you really enjoy without regard to the distance from Tampa itself (so long as it is still a reasonable drive). If i was in your shoes, I would take a good long look at Dunedin.

Old 01-21-2009, 04:14 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I think no matter where you move you will probably have to drive to do many activities. Wesley Chapel is nice and I know some retirees who live there but there aren't a lot of activities. My friends go to the gym and walk on the trails. I also like LOL and almost moved there.
I agree Dunedin or Safety Harbor are both nice areas too.

I did volunteer work for Seniors in Service and Meals on Wheels. You can ask for work in your area.

You might want to check out meetup.com and see what is available and where it is located.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:49 PM

28 posts, read 91,673 times
If your looking for a decent place at an affordable price look into Manatee County,there is deals to had on water front homes through double wide trailers on 20 acres and its 30 minutes from st pete ,tampa, and sarasota.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay