Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:02 PM

79 posts, read 313,797 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at possible places to visit for our honeymoon in September. We're thinking of taking a "road trip" and stopping at various places along the way.

What can you tell me about Clearwater Beach? Nice place to visit? Things to do? Is it even worth a stop?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 PM

105 posts, read 551,117 times
Clearwater is nice but for a honeymoon, Captiva and Sanibel island would be perfect, less congested, natural beauty
Official Sanibel Island & Captiva Island, Florida Chamber of Commerce. Visitor, Accommodations, Dining, Shopping, Entertainment & Local Business Information

Old 02-27-2008, 01:54 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,943 times
Captiva Island..LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!

Clearwater Beach is a family destination. For a romantic beach in our beautiful bay area try Ft. Desoto in St. Pete. Siesta Key is phenomenal, no joke, the sand is literally like baby powder! Holmes Beach in Bradenton is one of our most secluded "best-kept-secret" beaches.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:35 AM

1,938 posts, read 6,266,960 times
I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE--- NOOOOO.
My husband and I went to that area for our honeymoon in 2004. We planned on going to clearwater beach for a few days, then to siesta key for a few days. Everything went to hell the day after we arrived and HURRICANE CHARLEY decided to pay us a visit. We ended up leaving Clearwater early as the weather was treachorous, so we headed to Siesta key since we already had reservations (and we had family nearby JIC).. Needless to say, the weather wasn't any better. After a day there, talks about evacuation were going on- We decided to pack up EARLY and head inland to insure we had somewhere to stay.. We had to fight traffic and got the last room available in the orlando area (the did call for an evacuation and my sister had no where to go so had to stay with us!). Disney was even closed for 2 days and our hotel was in shambles after dealing with 105 mile an hour winds, not to mention power outages and the only nearby walgreens cleaned out by panicked people!! LOL I am a fan of Florida, we moved here shortly after we got married. We picked Florida as a honeymoon destination to keep things simple, thought we could have the nice beacy romantic getaway. Yeah, the most romantic dinner we had was in our hotel room with pizza hut by candlelight! Im all for Florida honeymoons, but not during that time- while the season is dwindling down, I wouldn't risk it.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:09 AM

849 posts, read 3,530,810 times
Default Ft. De soto

is a gorgeous beach but is undeveloped. Yay! There's no place to stay unless camping is your idea of a honeymoon. There may be a B&B or 2 in Holmes, Anna Maria but a B&B seems a bit claustrophobic for a honeymoon, IMO.
How about the Don Cesar on St. Pete Beach? or Sanibel is a great choice as one poster said.
To the psoter who posted about Hurricanes. It certainly is a risk ANYWHERE in FL. I honestly don't understand why you thought siesta key would help but Orlando was a surprise. Every one got blindsided by that hit.
To the OP I would only suggest that you get travel insurance, have a back up plan, watch
Tampa Bay's 10 News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - WTSP TV - tampabays10.com/weather as the time gets close and certainly if we have another very active season as in 2004, look for an alternative. History is useless in predicting natural phenomena and weather patterns are changing anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Captiva Island..LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!

Clearwater Beach is a family destination. For a romantic beach in our beautiful bay area try Ft. Desoto in St. Pete. Siesta Key is phenomenal, no joke, the sand is literally like baby powder! Holmes Beach in Bradenton is one of our most secluded "best-kept-secret" beaches.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,612,441 times
I, too, have opinions, but since you specifically asked about Clearwater....I've been to Clearwater many, many times and I love it. Great beach, lots of restaurants and bars (if you're into that sort of thing). Pier 60 is known for lots of craftspeople and a great boardwalk where you'll see people fishing. Of course there's always a group of people migrating out for the sunset. There's major construction going on in Clearwater and the changes look to be fantastic. During the real estate boom years in 05-06, we referred to it as Billion Dollar Beach and I expect the Hyatt Aqualea to be awesome. Read this ---> Clearwater Beach construction continues through spring break - Tampa Bays Local News (broken link)

Last edited by TampaKaren; 02-28-2008 at 03:18 PM..

Old 02-28-2008, 03:35 PM

Cool not only continuining

but way ahead of schedule. Not in time for OP's honeymoon alas but great for the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
I, too, have opinions, but since you specifically asked about Clearwater....I've been to Clearwater many, many times and I love it. Great beach, lots of restaurants and bars (if you're into that sort of thing). Pier 60 is known for lots of craftspeople and a great boardwalk where you'll see people fishing. Of course there's always a group of people migrating out for the sunset. There's major construction going on in Clearwater and the changes look to be fantastic. During the real estate boom years in 05-06, we referred to it as Billion Dollar Beach and I expect the Hyatt Aqualea to be awesome. Read this ---> Clearwater Beach construction continues through spring break - Tampa Bays Local News (broken link)

Old 02-28-2008, 03:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,612,441 times
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesma View Post
but way ahead of schedule. Not in time for OP's honeymoon alas but great for the city.
OP said honeymoon is in September. Super Bowl is in January. If construction is 6 month's ahead of SuperBowl schedule but after Spring Break, that should be somewhere around August...providing my calculation is correct.

Old 02-28-2008, 04:10 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,009,296 times
We LOVE Lido Key--it's the key north of Siesta! Because of St. Armands Circle, there's so much to do! Depending on where you stay, you can walk to everything! Not as "college-y" feeling as Siesta! Very lovely!
All of this is just south of Clearwater!

Old 02-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Red face no, sorry if I was unclear

The project was scheduled for completion by late next year but now they're saying hopefully by Superbowl and that's Beachwalk. The hotel looks far from that close to being ready. it's not even fully weathered in yet.
when construction is said to be ahead of schedule, it means before the projected deadline not from the day that announcement is made.
Hope that clarifies it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
OP said honeymoon is in September. Super Bowl is in January. If construction is 6 month's ahead of SuperBowl schedule but after Spring Break, that should be somewhere around August...providing my calculation is correct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay