Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird45 View Post
I am not trying to argue but it is a lot more complected. If you look at the Tampa region there are only two TJ, 2-3 Sprouts and several Aldis (I am not sure of the number). All these stores are much smaller than an average Publix but probably do more volume per sq than a Publix. Given the population growth of the Tampa region, these stores could be added to the market and have minimal impact on Publix sales. Also these type of stores fill a niche that Publix may have not been serving. For example the Sprouts in Carrollwood probably has more of an impact on Whole Foods, Fresh Market and a few other local organic markets than on Publix.

I am not expert in retail sales, but unless a major player (i.e. Kroger) comes into the Florida market, Publix will continue to dominate this market. Changes in shopping habits (i.e. more eating out, delivery, etc) and food price reductions (http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...at-publix.html) probably have more to do with Publix sales than a few specialty stores opening in the Tampa region.

You forgot to include Walmart, Target and all the other retailers that now sell food. Plus all the ethnic chains, independent stores etc. All cumulatively taking share from Publix. FYI Walmart is the largest seller of food in the USA, sells more food than Publix, Kroger, Safeway, all. You are delusional if you think the Aldi shopper and the Publix shopper and the Whole Foods shopper are all that different. Everything we know about how grocery shopping behavior has changed in the past 5-10 years shows that shoppers no longer rely on one store for all of their shopping and they are shopping the low end and the high end. Because they can't get everything at one store. A typical shopping journey includes 2 to 3 stores, and many times the traditional grocery store is not part of it. Organic produce from Sprouts, household cleaners from Walmart, frozen food from Aldi, prepared foods from Whole Foods, bulk stuff from BJ's etc. In Publix's case, those 2 to 3 stores in that new shopper journey are likely all new competitors in past 5-10 years.

And of course the online grocery competitors (including meal kits) are so vast in number they deserve their own thread.

As far as new eating habits, I agree that more people are eating out, which includes buying prepared foods at stores. Publix's prepared foods section is extremely limited and not in keeping with "healthy eating trends." For example, it baffles the mind as to why every Publix store does not have a salad bar, preferably with organics (which is where the eating trends are going)? That alone would increase customer traffic and impulse purchases.

If you read the entire thread you would have seen all this discussed already.

Last edited by sinatras; 05-17-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 06:52 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Publix is fortunate to be in a fast growing state. It has some innate advantages like familiarity, extremely nice employees and a great overall shopping experience. It just needs a few tweaks to change with the changing tastes of people ie: more prepared foods (which are more profitable), a better bakery selection. I am not sure what they would get rid of to accommodate these changes.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:05 AM

87 posts, read 79,725 times
Clearly you don't know that Target plans an exit from trying to be a supermarket. They don't know what they're doing. They were stupid enough to attempt to buy Sprouts, a specialty niche marketer...that move failed as well.

I don't think I have read so much hyperbole, and gas-bagging about the alleged decline of PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS, since I got to Florida in 1978, and family well before that.

There are retail stores that fail or lose traction all the time - throughout past and more recent history. There are many stores that have gone bankrupt, or merged. So what? They didn't lose "market share" just because of competition.. Many simply had stupid management, bad assortments, and/or lousy personnel, or perhaps limited capital, etc. etc.

If you want to look at real problem actors in the "grocery space", it ain't PULBIX SUPERMARKETS, and if someone is pushing this false narrative, then they aren't "scratching where they're itching", and are perhaps engaging in an agenda intertwined with a dose of sabotage.

The present problem actors in the true "grocery/SUPERMARKET space", are very limited. A case could be made that Winn-Dixie might be a "problem child", and perhaps Albertson's.

A present problem actor in the true "limited" retail grocery/SUPERMARKET space" is TARGET.

The BIGGEST problem actor in the "limited" specialty food retail space is WHOLE FOOD MARKETS, which has lost market share, experienced customer loyalty problems viz high prices, and is looking for a corporate buyer. A case could be made that Sprouts as a very niche player has problems as well, given their initial interest in entertaining a purchase overture by Target.

WALMART is not a problem actor in the grocery/SUPERMARKET retail space, albeit they have curtailed some of their adding new superWalmarts, and even a few neighborhood markets as well.

PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS is not a problem actor in the grocery/SUPERMARKET retail space, as a private company. Keep in mind that all of these other actors are publicly-traded corporations which can invite many other not-so-positive considerations and challenges (e.g. management changes, Board changes, governance, etc)

Old 05-17-2017, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63SeaRay View Post
Clearly you don't know that Target plans an exit from trying to be a supermarket. They don't know what they're doing. They were stupid enough to attempt to buy Sprouts, a specialty niche marketer...that move failed as well.

I don't think I have read so much hyperbole, and gas-bagging about the alleged decline of PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS, since I got to Florida in 1978, and family well before that.

There are retail stores that fail or lose traction all the time - throughout past and more recent history. There are many stores that have gone bankrupt, or merged. So what? They didn't lose "market share" just because of competition.. Many simply had stupid management, bad assortments, and/or lousy personnel, or perhaps limited capital, etc. etc.

If you want to look at real problem actors in the "grocery space", it ain't PULBIX SUPERMARKETS, and if someone is pushing this false narrative, then they aren't "scratching where they're itching", and are perhaps engaging in an agenda intertwined with a dose of sabotage.

The present problem actors in the true "grocery/SUPERMARKET space", are very limited. A case could be made that Winn-Dixie might be a "problem child", and perhaps Albertson's.

A present problem actor in the true "limited" retail grocery/SUPERMARKET space" is TARGET.

The BIGGEST problem actor in the "limited" specialty food retail space is WHOLE FOOD MARKETS, which has lost market share, experienced customer loyalty problems viz high prices, and is looking for a corporate buyer. A case could be made that Sprouts as a very niche player has problems as well, given their initial interest in entertaining a purchase overture by Target.

WALMART is not a problem actor in the grocery/SUPERMARKET retail space, albeit they have curtailed some of their adding new superWalmarts, and even a few neighborhood markets as well.

PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS is not a problem actor in the grocery/SUPERMARKET retail space, as a private company. Keep in mind that all of these other actors are publicly-traded corporations which can invite many other not-so-positive considerations and challenges (e.g. management changes, Board changes, governance, etc)

Walmart is the biggest seller of groceries in the United States, but that's not a problem for Publix?
OK.
Mmmmhmmm.
LOL.

I guess in your estimation Publix has zero problems, neither does Trump, and fairies fall from the sky every day.

In other news, Target is EXPANDING its grocery offering and recently announced grocery delivery. It's a new service called Target Restock. Target has no plans to exit grocery. In fact Target is so focused on grocery that it just poached an exec from Kroger for its grocery business.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...ods/101460476/

Last edited by sinatras; 05-17-2017 at 07:20 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 07:53 AM

6,420 posts, read 4,917,410 times
Walmart has a shopping experience of 1 on a scale of 1-10 and Publix is a 10 as far as clean stores, friendly employees and nice selection. I go to Walmart for a few items that are MUCH cheaper but I dread going there even though its one of the nicest Walmarts I have ever been to. Target has a limited selection and sticks primarily to shelf stable foods. There are a few things I buy there (only on sale) but they have constantly raised prices. Shopping today requires visits to different stores.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:05 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Walmart has a shopping experience of 1 on a scale of 1-10 and Publix is a 10 as far as clean stores, friendly employees and nice selection. I go to Walmart for a few items that are MUCH cheaper but I dread going there even though its one of the nicest Walmarts I have ever been to. Target has a limited selection and sticks primarily to shelf stable foods. There are a few things I buy there (only on sale) but they have constantly raised prices. Shopping today requires visits to different stores.
Yes, several years ago I switched from Publix to Super Target for most of my grocery shopping (pre ALDI and TJ days) and at that time they offered wonderful products, and great prices/sales. Over time, products declined and prices rose and now I never go there at all. Several years ago the small Target in the Publix plaza where I shop was set to expand their grocery selection, and then decided not to do so. So I have no idea what their grocery plans are. I don't think this is their forte, personally.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:20 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,382,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I remember them when they first came down here in 1977. Seems they went downhill in the 90's.
They were in South Florida since the 1970s, as the family owned a home in the area and they thought it would be a good market to expand into since they (the owners) had a physical presence here. They didn't really expand in Florida until the building boom of the late 1990s, when they built out a number of new stores throughout the Florida market.

When the economy tanked in 2008, their store revenues here started to drop off and the cost of maintaining a distribution center so far from the home base of Boise, ID didn't make a lot of economic sense, so they pulled out of the market and retreated back to Boise and the west coast.

They are still a significant player in the grocery market in their original areas (ID, CA, etc.)

RM

Old 05-17-2017, 08:42 AM

I clearly stated WalMArt is not a PROBLEM ACTOR in the present grocery store industry

I clearly stated the PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS is not a PROBLEM ACTOR in the resent grocery store space either.

Do you know what a "problem ACTOR" is ? it's akin to a "Bad ACTOR".

I didn't suggest one store doesn't have a "problem" with another.

The word "problem" in my description is used as an adjective, not a noun. It modifies the noun, "ACTOR".

Mod edit: Personal attacks .

Publix Supermarkets isn't going anywhere soon.

Last edited by Sunscape; 05-17-2017 at 10:00 AM..

Old 05-17-2017, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63SeaRay View Post
Someone has a comprehension problem.

I clearly stated WalMArt is not a PROBLEM ACTOR in the present grocery store industry

I clearly stated the PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS is not a PROBLEM ACTOR in the resent grocery store space either.

Do you know what a "problem ACTOR" is ? it's akin to a "Bad ACTOR".

I didn't suggest one store doesn't have a "problem" with another. Geezus, you're in a bit too deep.

The word "problem" in my description is used as an adjective, not a noun. It modifies the noun, "ACTOR".

Geezus. What rubbish in toto.

Publix Supermarkets isn't going anywhere soon.

Lots of conspiracy theories, lots of personal attacks, lots of grammar lessons.

Old 05-17-2017, 09:45 AM

My opinion only : You don't know WHAT you're talking about in re PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS or any other market. I guess you think that's a "personal attack" as well.

Good luck with your so-called "expertise". I know better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay