Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 10:13 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,243,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
how is fireplace heat better than electric heat? they are both dry heat
I was wondering the same thing, in fact all heat in home would be dry. No sure how a fireplace is better, perhaps it looks cozier.

But then the downside is the fireplace has a damper that needs to be opened and sucks heat from the home. And any heat generated by the fireplace is concentrated in that area, rooms furthest away get chilly. And then you have to clean up the ashes, make sure the chimney is cleaned, yada, yada, yada... I went down that path with homes I had in Illinois, last one was best with gas and sealed unit, but even then we rarely used it as the family room got warm and other rooms were chilled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2018, 10:21 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,853,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I was wondering the same thing, in fact all heat in home would be dry. No sure how a fireplace is better, perhaps it looks cozier.

But then the downside is the fireplace has a damper that needs to be opened and sucks heat from the home. And any heat generated by the fireplace is concentrated in that area, rooms furthest away get chilly. And then you have to clean up the ashes, make sure the chimney is cleaned, yada, yada, yada... I went down that path with homes I had in Illinois, last one was best with gas and sealed unit, but even then we rarely used it as the family room got warm and other rooms were chilled.

when i lived up north i had gas furnace (also dry heat) but i also had a whole house humidifier which helped a great deal

i also had a gas fireplace, easy peasy to run

Old 01-03-2018, 10:25 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,205,670 times
Quote:
Still complaining about having to run A/C? I'm PO'd at having to run my heat pump! So much for the "above normal" temps they were calling for this winter.

What does La Niña mean for Florida? Another warm, dry winter.

Hopefully we give it a run for above temps soon.
Don't confuse the seasonal prediction to "blips" that we are having right now. The "long" view over month to three month is still dry and warm for our area because of La Niña. Once we are out of this blip you will see hot and dry weather once more again all the way to Spring. In the mean time enjoy.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:05 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,018,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmaticus View Post
Once we are out of this blip you will see hot and dry weather once more again all the way to Spring. In the mean time enjoy.
In the sunshine state?? I don't buy that for a second! Not. One. Second.!.

Old 01-03-2018, 02:32 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,243,604 times
I guess it could have been worse....

It’s snowing in Tallahassee for the first time in three decades

Southern drivers, like really, close Interstate for this?
Interstate 10 reopens after winter storm

Old 01-03-2018, 04:25 PM

30,436 posts, read 21,280,188 times
Quote:

Bowling pins work great in a fire place mace.

Old 01-03-2018, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Still complaining about having to run A/C? I'm PO'd at having to run my heat pump! So much for the "above normal" temps they were calling for this winter.

What does La Niña mean for Florida? Another warm, dry winter.

Hopefully we give it a run for above temps soon.
We will. A few days of below normal is nothing compared to the days of above normal. First time we had weather like this since the first week of 2010. Just add up the figs and look at how many days have been above normal the last 3 years alone joan. And this does not even come close to the super freezes we had in the 80's.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:06 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,512,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
how is fireplace heat better than electric heat? they are both dry heat
There's something reassuringly primeval about logs burning away in an open fireplace on a chill winter's evening.
Whether it's the smell of burning wood or the crackle of the logs or the constant and satisfying need to get up and chuck another log on.
Men especially like to poke around with the fire - it brings out the caveman in them.
I think it's one of life's great pleasures to be somewhere cold and wintry toasting my feet in front of a fire with a nice glass of single malt whisky and my dog laid out in front of the fireplace getting as close as he can to the heat.
But not for long mind.Give me a cloudless sky,a golden beach and a cold brewski any day.

Old 01-04-2018, 03:31 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
When I run the electric heat the static electricity goes crazy in the house. The longer its on I get a dull headache after a while. With the fire place I can place a few logs on and enjoy a quite evening in bliss with wifey in comfort. The bedroom does not over heat so at bedtime a nice comforter is all that's needed for a good sleep. During the day the house doesn't get that cold to need heat much.

Old 01-04-2018, 04:05 AM

44 at my place this am. Not cold at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay