Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 08:50 PM

13 posts, read 16,746 times

Advertisements

So how bad is this problem? I have read so many threads about these snakes and I am so afraid of them its not funny so I must know as much as I can about problems they cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,793 times
They are fairly common in parts of the Tampa area, especially around lakes, ponds, and rivers. I've seen several in Pinellas County. Like any other snake, they will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Just remember to be mindful of your surroundings, and not every snake that is found in or around water is a moccasin. You could go your whole time without seeing one. Nothing to fear, just be careful.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:06 AM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejp823 View Post
So how bad is this problem? I have read so many threads about these snakes and I am so afraid of them its not funny so I must know as much as I can about problems they cause.
Relax.
Unless your hanging out in undisturbed freshwater areas, your not likely to ever see one. Even, then it's going to be a rarity.

Old 04-08-2008, 04:31 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
I've heard there are a lot in my area (and when I worked up by a lake outside of Gainesville). The same goes for pygmy rattlesnacks, and coral snakes....

thankfully I have yet to see much more than black racers and other "garden" variety type snakes in the 9 years I've lived here (which is pretty weird, with as much time as I spend outdoors, in the country, or in the woods [and considering I don't live far from preserves]).

As another poster said, just be aware of your surroundings. Should you stumble upon one, leave it alone - I can almost guarantee s/he's just as afraid of you.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:16 AM

121 posts, read 515,407 times
Yes, they definitely exist here. But let me just say I have lived in Tampa 7 years now. And last weekend was the first time I've ever seen one. It was a rattlesnake that was crawling around a chicken coop at a farmers market I went to. So if 1 snake in 7 years gives you any idea...

I remember a couple years ago they were developing land (restaurants, shops, mostly apartment complexes) in the New Tampa area and had an outbreak of pygmy rattlers. But that was mostly because that land had been undisturbed.

Speaking of pygmies...we also have pygmy owls. Do a Google image search on them sometime, they're adoreable.

Now, alligators on the other hand, I have seen several since moving here. But your chances of getting attacked by one are so infinitesimal that I wouldn't worry about it. Take caution when walking around lakes, ponds, and standing water. And by caution, I just mean keep your eyes open. No need to run kicking and screaming. Most times it'll look like there's a chunk of log out in a pond, and you look closer and it's two alligator eyes and a nose tip peeking through. They're less common in more urban areas, but they're here all the same.

You should be just fine!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:10 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
I just realized I typed "rattle snacks" LOL

and I can't edit it. Well, I guess rattle snack might work for SOME people.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:22 AM

121 posts, read 515,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
I just realized I typed "rattle snacks" LOL

and I can't edit it. Well, I guess rattle snack might work for SOME people.
LOL. Well there are people who cook snakes up for food, so in that respect, "rattle snacks" works just fine.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 AM

94 posts, read 368,067 times
Watch out for the giant pythons 15 feet + One of those was found floating belly up last year having uncusessfully tried to digest a seven foot gator. Fortunately they only need to eat a couple of times a year so if your lucky you won't be near a hungry one...

Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 AM

105 posts, read 243,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Relax.
Unless your hanging out in undisturbed freshwater areas, your not likely to ever see one. Even, then it's going to be a rarity.

I would not say that we have been here just over a year and I have seen plenty anbd we dont live too near water, one was so big outside out house we had to call the cops...there were a lot of kids around and he /she did not seem to want to go away...they are aggfresive if cornered.

I'm not sure how big he was but his head was the size our our cats head...yep a biggy!

The cops did not show but a pest control guy came after about 30 minutes, he has a contract with the county and he 'moved it on', he said it was the biggest one he has ever seen, so were glad he's not around anymore!

Old 04-08-2008, 01:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,025 times
Our kids have already asked us about snakes and we have told them if they see one to leave it alone and quietly get away from it. Our son is not afraid and our daughter was not amused but the chances of them seeing snakes if we relocate to Florida is so high that we had to bring it up so they would know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: