Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 10:34 AM

7 posts, read 13,433 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Tampa in the next few months. Well - he's already there working and I'm following shortly. Currently, he's living w/ his parents but we'll be looking to find a home to rent shortly - and eventually buy within the next year.

I've read several of the posts where it recommends websites to look for rentals - which is great. They've been very helpful. And I know I have read a few places where people have used agents to also help them find rentals (and that there are a few good ones out there that will help you). I'm curious to hear which option you chose when looking for a rental, some things to watch out for or be aware of and just your personal experience.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 PM

15 posts, read 47,304 times
Please do a search on Tampa Bay Breaking News, weather, sports and things to do from TBO.com - Tampa Bay Online. and look at the neighborhood you are looking at. After moving here from New England and learning the hard way you HAVE to do your homework before moving here. It's not paradise by any means, it's not like when u have vacationed here, wages are poor, housing is tough and schools are way below the average. You have two kind of people residing here, the struggling and the rich. Sorry to be a downer, only the truth I wish I had known. Good luck, Kathy

Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 AM

Thanks for the info. My husbands from Tampa originally and we are there quite a bit to visit family. We've done a lot of research and have been prepping for this move for probably a year so we've narrowed down the areas we're looking at already. Just looking for some insight on whether to use a realtor to help w/ a rental search or are we better off just looking for the rental ourselves. Pros and cons? Appreciate the help.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:28 AM

471 posts, read 1,661,661 times
My experience may not be of much help to you because it supports either position.

We found our rental house on craigslist. However it was listed by an agent. It worked out very well for us and I would use an agent again without hesitation.
Many of the listings on craigslist are by agents, but we looked at some that were listed by the owner. If ours had been listed by the owner, we still would have rented it, because we met her and felt comfortable with the whole situation.
If you do look on your own, I think you do need to judge how comfortable you feel with the owner.
I think it is easier to negotiate for price, things you want,etc. with an agent, and I think agents help the owners to set a realistic rental price in the first place.
Some we looked at by owner were way out of line in what they were asking.

In our case the owner has been proactive, though in Ca. she keeps in touch by email and always asks if everything is okay. When I mentioned that the dryer was still working, but on its last legs, she ordered a new dryer immediately without involving the agency coming to check or repair.

Not all landlords are perfect like mine though, and it would be of benefit to have the agent/realty be the liason you need.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 AM

133 posts, read 538,423 times
Real Estate agents have access to a large number of rentals from the MLS system and they can email properties to you for your review. This process will also email you any new properties that match your criteria and location as they are loaded to the MLS system keeping you fully informed. This will save you time from checking Realtor.com every few days to see if anything new has been posted. Also, Real Estate agents are paid a referral fee from the landlord (listing office) for their services, so it is no cost to you as the renter.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:17 AM

Thanks everyone. I'm really appreciating the feedback.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 AM

183 posts, read 534,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshirelassie View Post
Please do a search on Tampa Bay Breaking News, weather, sports and things to do from TBO.com - Tampa Bay Online. and look at the neighborhood you are looking at. After moving here from New England and learning the hard way you HAVE to do your homework before moving here. It's not paradise by any means, it's not like when u have vacationed here, wages are poor, housing is tough and schools are way below the average. You have two kind of people residing here, the struggling and the rich. Sorry to be a downer, only the truth I wish I had known. Good luck, Kathy
what does 3/4 of that post have to do with using an agent to find a rental, why try to discourage these people relocating. yes, maybe it is the truth to you and other residents, but she didn't even ask about that and already plans to relocate.

anyways, i have found that tbo.com and st pete times are very good links for your search. i have been looking around online for ourr big move from MI in June.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:54 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,717 times
An agent is good, but you can also do your search online and come out just as well in the long run...that's what I did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay