Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:03 AM

80 posts, read 349,011 times

Advertisements

Good morning from the Big Apple.
Is anyone familiar with the "Nature Coast?" I am assuming that this is the right forum. If not, please correct me and move this post.
This area is north of Tampa Bay, and if I'm not mistaken includes Citrus County.
We are being lured by romantic claims that this is the real Florida; it is clean and unspoiled; and lush with manatees, birds and other wildlife.
Is this just another name for SWAMP or is it for real?
Has anyone relocated/retired there?
Thank you.
TJ3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:15 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
The Nature Coast starts in Pasco and heads north. Pasco is pretty built up but still has some nice nature areas but once you get past SR 50 in Hernando Cty it gets very nice.

Yes there is some swamp but that is the real Florida. You have many inland forest areas, coastal salt marsh, natural springs, rivers for canoeing, manatee areas and more.
If I walk about 1/4 mile from my house I am in the beginning of about 6000 acres of preserve.

If you are looking for nature you can find it in Hernando, Cirtus, Levy etc.
There will be some built out areas but you just need to look around and see where you like.

Edit: I am also originally from The Bronx, where are you in The Big Apple?

Old 04-13-2008, 12:26 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
I live in Inverness and just yesterday, a wild turkey was running across my yard. We have seen lots of birds, turtles, rabbits, fox in our own yard and we are just 1 mile out of downtown inverness. This used to be the secret town in FL nobody knew about but it was discovered a couple years ago and has grown a little bit but there is a lot of protected forestry in Citrus County still so not much more can be developed.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:21 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Yes, I went down to Citrus County in February for an exploratory trip because I, too, heard all of the claims and wanted to see it for myself. I have to say it was beautiful, treed, and hilly. It's the only place in Florida that I've been to that was hilly. I did see the manatees in the Crystal River and enjoyed the natural beauty of the area. The home and lot prices are good there, but remember that if you move there you will be about an hour and a half from a major airport. This may not matter to you, but for me it is an issue. Go down, check it out, and have a great time doing it!

Old 04-13-2008, 01:53 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
yeah it takes me 1 hour 15 minutes from Inverness to the Tampa airport using the Suncoast Parkway. But then again it's a good central location too because
I-75 and the FL turnpike are 15 minutes away too making getting to Orlando possible in 45 minutes.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,044 times
Hi! I live in Weeki Wachee/Brooksville, which is part of the Nature Coast. We moved here from Las Vegas, but are originally from Ozone Park, NY. I think this general area is quite nice, our house is in a quiet area with only 1 other on our block.

It's not for everybody, and jobs/business are tough to come by or establish. Sorry to say, but there's a lot of really cheap people here that don't appreciate quality. But, if we can finally get the ball rolling, we plan to make this our home for a long time.

Good luck!

Old 04-13-2008, 10:23 PM

380 posts, read 1,178,687 times
The Nature Coast is stunningly beautiful, so you should definitely plan a visit. I only make it to the area about once a year, but I cram as much activity into that week as possible - hiking, biking, visiting history-based museums, eating fresh local seafood, visiting festivals, swimming in the springs. I love the laid back lifestyle of the more rural areas and small towns, and the mix of dilapidated old Florida homes with the fancy new ones on stilts and restored cottages. The tidal marshes and rivers are havens for shore birds. Don't miss visiting as many natural springs as you can (many are in state parks), and tubing down the Itchetucknee River is one of things you must do at least once in your life. It is so serene. You'll witness numerous bird species and turtles perched on logs as you lazily float down the river. I could spend my lifetime exploring the area and still not see everything I want to. Some of my favorite spots: Micanopy, Cedar Key, Yankeetown, Paine's Prairie State Park, Manatee Springs State Park, O'Leno State Park, Rainbow Springs State Park. If you are looking into relocating to the area, a couple of areas that still seem very affordable are Old Town (awesome vintage homes) and Crystal River. I have only driven through a corner of Inverness, but it has a lot of charm and a lot to offer.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:21 AM

387 posts, read 1,593,857 times
Aw, I was just in Cedar Key on Saturday. There was an art festival going on. Beautiful weather... beautiful day. Then I had to come back to Atlanta aka hell on earth.

I love "old" natural Florida. I hope in the years down the road it remains protected... everyone keep telling the Northerners that South and SW Florida are THE places to go in FL.

Oh, I LOVE Manatee Springs... do a quick Google image search on it.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:01 PM

80 posts, read 349,011 times
Sounds wonderful. I won't tell any of the other Northerners.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:50 PM

198 posts, read 959,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tresjolie3 View Post
Sounds wonderful. I won't tell any of the other Northerners.
Yes it is. But make sure you visit first to see if you can stand the heat. It does get quite oppresive in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay