Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 12:57 PM

9 posts, read 12,268 times

Advertisements

How do I ask a question on here? My posts keep getting deleted?

VTSnowbird, if I am doing something wrong please let me know, don’t just delete my posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2022, 05:28 PM

Ok, as this thread has not been deleted. Let me ask the question here….

Hey folks, so I am Canadian and as happens every winter I dream of having winter place in Florida (that white stuff only looks good on TV and shoveling it is a real chore ). I still have about 10 years before retirement so I want to buy a place now that I can rent out but use as our winter residence after retirement. We have about 200K-250K in liquid assets we could use for the purchase. We would like to buy in either Orlando or Tampa area so I will post on both forums. Once the pandemic ends we plan to visit both cities but for now I am just gathering options.

If our requirements are

- Budget max $250K
- Distance from downtown/entertainment centers: 1 hour max
- Type of property: Single Family Home
- HOA: $0; or no more than $100/month
- Preferably close to 'some' shopping and restaurants

Is it possible to find a house in a safe area which won't get run down/lose value in coming years and that we can easily rent out for the next few years given our budget and requirements? If yes; please provide a list of such areas/zip codes.

If our budget is too low; which of our requirements should we change. If at all possible we don't want to buy an condo/apartment and would prefer a house.

I have looked on Realtor.com and Zillow and am able to find many potential properties but have no idea if they are in safe areas, if those areas are likely to become run down, or how hard it will be rent the place. Please help and provide list of potential areas.

Thanks!

Old 01-14-2022, 08:32 AM

983 posts, read 609,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksc1972 View Post

Hey folks, so I am Canadian and as happens every winter I dream of having winter place in Florida (that white stuff only looks good on TV and shoveling it is a real chore ). I still have about 10 years before retirement so I want to buy a place now that I can rent out but use as our winter residence after retirement. We have about 200K-250K in liquid assets we could use for the purchase. We would like to buy in either Orlando or Tampa area so I will post on both forums. Once the pandemic ends we plan to visit both cities but for now I am just gathering options.

If our requirements are

- Budget max $250K

Is it possible to find a house in a safe area which won't get run down/lose value in coming years and that we can easily rent out for the next few years given our budget and requirements? If yes; please provide a list of such areas/zip codes.

If our budget is too low; which of our requirements should we change. If at all possible we don't want to buy an condo/apartment and would prefer a house.

I have looked on Realtor.com and Zillow and am able to find many potential properties but have no idea if they are in safe areas, if those areas are likely to become run down, or how hard it will be rent the place. Please help and provide list of potential areas.

Thanks!
Hello, you will find it difficult to find a tenant for those months other than winter as we have many snowbirds here. I am in Dunedin and we love it here. Hopefully more replies will come along.

Old 01-14-2022, 08:42 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,004 times
Quote:
How do I ask a question on here? My posts keep getting deleted?

VTSnowbird, if I am doing something wrong please let me know, don’t just delete my posts.
Follow the terms of service: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Quote:
Discussing moderator actions (deleting/moving/editing threads or posts) is not allowed in the public forums. General concerns should be addressed in About the Forum. Any particular issues will only be dealt with in Direct Messages sent to a local moderator. All complaints should be sent via DM to the senior moderators
So, edit your first post to be in compliance and you should be good to go!

Old 01-14-2022, 11:08 AM

5,979 posts, read 7,387,456 times
Your budget limits you to areas that are less than desirable, I’m afraid. On top of that the likelihood of finding a tenant for the summer months is slim at best.

Sorry.

RM

Old 01-14-2022, 11:16 AM

To clarify, we are not going to be using the house until we retire. So the intention is to rent it for a few years. What is a reasonable budget for our requirements these days?

Old 01-14-2022, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Follow the terms of service: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
So, edit your first post to be in compliance and you should be good to go!
Sorry I must be dense but I cannot find an option to edit my original post. How do I do that?

Old 01-14-2022, 03:54 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,829,130 times
Quote:
To clarify, we are not going to be using the house until we retire. So the intention is to rent it for a few years. What is a reasonable budget for our requirements these days?

The market is insane right now. If you have ten years before you retire I would wait until things stabilize.

As others have said, your budget will limit you to less-than-desirable areas, to put it politely.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:58 PM

30,453 posts, read 21,289,763 times
Even in dumpy areas like west Pasco prices are insane jane.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:11 PM

828 posts, read 693,596 times
Quote:

If our requirements are

- Budget max $250K

Thanks!
$250k for a single family house means you will be looking in less than desirable neighborhoods as other folks have put it above. That means renting the house to vacationers will be difficult. I personally do not think your plan is realistic, but it is also not impossible. I think you should look at condos instead. There are some 2/1 condos with community pools that you could rent out for some of the year and enjoy while you are down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay