Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 03:17 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
80k for 5 bedrooms? That is soooooooo deep in the ghetto. Kinda area where you need to drive 60mph and duck.
It is also a fixer upper, short sale on a 4 lane road and is under 1800 sq ft for those 5 bedrooms.
Those are going to be some small bedrooms.

Why would anyone want to live there when they can be in an area with lower crime and more house for the same money or less?

There is one in my area that is 2400 sq ft built in 1994 on an acre for $74,900.

There is another with over 2000 sq ft on a 1/4 acre with an inground pool built in 1971 for $89,000.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:27 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
I lived in a VERY diverse neighborhood in Tampa, with blacks, hispanics, asians and whites, being the minority. I am white from AL and I grew up during segregated times. Being from the south doesn't mean you are a racist.

Having lived in Tampa for 30 years, most ppl don't care who lives next door to them as long as their family and home are safe. There are certain areas of Tampa that are mainly white that I wouldn't recommend someone move to..

If you like the house.. buy it..pretty simple.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:47 PM

48 posts, read 177,762 times
Quote:
jackacc

30 posts, read 9,850 times
jackacc is on a distinguished road
Back to the crime topic...

You hit the nail on the head when you said "the crime is mostly in the lower socioeconomic neighborhoods" and that you don't ever feel unsafe anywhere in your current location even though the crime stats were the same.

I am in the same boat. Where I am living now has a higher crime rating than I'd like to endure compared to where I grew up but it is just about all isolated to one part of town. I never have any problems in my hood, in fact it is very quiet. Socioeconomic status plays a huge part in criminal activity anywhere you go. It's just he way it is, stats don't lie.

Tampa has poorer areas and wealthier areas and the criminal activity in each area will occur accordingly. Of course I always believe there is some spillover into areas that surround "bad" areas but it all depends on police presence and the community pride in that area. I don't think you have anything to worry about in Tampa.

The only crimes I heard about directly from people I know are a shooting outside our office one day (which used to be in the worst part of Ybor city..totally industrial) and it was over an ex girlfriend, one shot and it was over...between two enemies. And some guy murdered his wife and shot himself last year in Wesley Chapel...clearly issues existed there. I am sure more goes on that I don't hear about but everytime I was in downtown Tampa, I saw no need for alarm.

It's like anywhere (and I think you live in an urban environment now it seems) just be aware of surroundings and you can avoid 99% of the trouble out there. Street smarts go a long way.
Seems like I'm not the only one who associates lower socio economic areas with crime; well, me and jackacc and the police departments, sociologists and the FBI.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:05 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,597 times
Simple, it's all economics. If it was a "good" neighborhood, that's how we spell neighborhood in this country, the house would have been worth more. It wouldn't matter if it was a "black" (commonly associated with a poor neighborhood in Tampa). I say associated to Tampa because Hialeah in South Florida is considered a crime ridden poor neighborhood and mainly populated with Cubans and other Latin people. Most people avoid Hialeah like they avoid the "black" neighborhoods. So, it doesn't have to do with what race is living there, but what kind of people live there. The kind I'm talking about is not the race kind. I'm not black, white, or Latino, but I tend to avoid the "black" neighborhoods because I've lived in a crime infested one for many years growing up and it's not safe in the South Side of St. Pete. There were some neighborhoods that are black that really care about their homes and kept it up very nicely, but the majority did not. I didn't like being woken up at 3 AM because there's a gunshot noise on the street next to my house and I had to duck on the floor with fear. I didn't like my mother's care being stolen with her purse inside and her losing lots of money and her jewelry. I didn't like the house next to us that sold drugs around the clock. I didn't like finding some sort of tube filled with a liquid I don't even know on my yard a dealer tossed while the cops were chasing him. This all happened in a predominently "black" neighborhood. So, this is why I avoid mainly "black" neighborhoods.

Please do not come here to the US and expect it to be a utopian society like in the UK. You paint that country to be so great with your description of integration. Guess what? Human nature is not comfortable with integration. We like the same kind of people around us. That's just the facts. Why do you think that people in the position to hire people for jobs are consciously told to be mindful of diversity because they know that people are comfortable with familiar people and surroundings. You married a white man because you don't care about race, but in retrospect, that's what your post is all about.

Old 06-04-2008, 05:51 AM

48 posts, read 177,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk22 View Post
Simple, it's all economics. If it was a "good" neighborhood, that's how we spell neighborhood in this country, the house would have been worth more. It wouldn't matter if it was a "black" (commonly associated with a poor neighborhood in Tampa). I say associated to Tampa because Hialeah in South Florida is considered a crime ridden poor neighborhood and mainly populated with Cubans and other Latin people. Most people avoid Hialeah like they avoid the "black" neighborhoods. So, it doesn't have to do with what race is living there, but what kind of people live there. The kind I'm talking about is not the race kind. I'm not black, white, or Latino, but I tend to avoid the "black" neighborhoods because I've lived in a crime infested one for many years growing up and it's not safe in the South Side of St. Pete. There were some neighborhoods that are black that really care about their homes and kept it up very nicely, but the majority did not. I didn't like being woken up at 3 AM because there's a gunshot noise on the street next to my house and I had to duck on the floor with fear. I didn't like my mother's care being stolen with her purse inside and her losing lots of money and her jewelry. I didn't like the house next to us that sold drugs around the clock. I didn't like finding some sort of tube filled with a liquid I don't even know on my yard a dealer tossed while the cops were chasing him. This all happened in a predominently "black" neighborhood. So, this is why I avoid mainly "black" neighborhoods.

Please do not come here to the US and expect it to be a utopian society like in the UK. You paint that country to be so great with your description of integration. Guess what? Human nature is not comfortable with integration. We like the same kind of people around us. That's just the facts. Why do you think that people in the position to hire people for jobs are consciously told to be mindful of diversity because they know that people are comfortable with familiar people and surroundings. You married a white man because you don't care about race, but in retrospect, that's what your post is all about.
Very nice, reasoned analysis.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:29 AM

70 posts, read 363,314 times
Alright, I'll bite

Though I am a bit confused as to if you are actually asking serious questions or simply using rhetoric and generalizations to depict your perceptions on white people as a whole.

Moving on…

I would raise an eyebrow at any 5 bedroom home in the area going for 80k, regardless of the predominant race of the neighborhood it was in. I actually just bought my first house, but along the way I checked many possibilities off the list for being in low class/undesirable white neighborhoods. I don’t want to live near poverty and crime (who does?) whether that means I have to avoid a neighborhood of black gang bangers or white crack head hookers is indifferent to me. Anyone who has ever read a shred on criminology can tell you that poverty and crime go hand in hand.

You are correct in saying that America is still quite segregated, especially in the south. We do certainly have much further to go in this respect when compared to other countries such as the UK and Canada. You are also correct in stating that stereotypes are prevalent across the board, as you yourself utilized a few in your original post. (i.e. “honky tonk bar” and “country club”) two places I don’t frequent as a white woman.

Racism is a very widespread problem, and you prove this by stating that it exists in your own home. It is all very complex. Issues such as education (or lack thereof) poverty, crime, healthcare, economy, opportunity etc. all need to be delved into to get a better grasp on the racism issue and what fuels it. These are topics that can’t even begin to be covered in the span of this thread.

Progress takes time, but I do believe it is occurring. My 78 year old grandmother, (who I am certain has visited a few country clubs in her day) would never have dreamed of socializing with many black people in her youth (though there weren’t and aren’t many blacks in rural Vermont) now considers an elderly black couple among her closest friends. A major step in stopping racism? No, but it is small steps like this that help perpetuate new societal ideals whilst relinquishing the old ones.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:46 PM

792 posts, read 2,292,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower101 View Post
I saw an old 5 bedroom house built in 1925 selling for $80.000
It's beautiful and I would buy it. All it needs is tlc. The issue with my husband is that the house is in a black neighbourhood. Im Caribbean decent. my husband is white and from the deep southern state Alabama.
My gripe is that there is still segregation and prejudice stereotypes flying around. Black and white have been living in this country for over 400 yrs and you still don't know anything about each other. Where I grew up in the U.K, the area would have been filled with left wing bohemian whites, both educated and non-educated, Indians other groups as well as blacks.
America still have a long way to go. We need change. We need to be a nation of one instead of segregating into our own little groups.

As a people, many of us are not that bad. we work, go home and get on with our lives. And please dont say you have black friends when you've never vacationed, socialize, nor invite them to your house, to your honky tonk country music bar, or to your elite country club.
Your husband is right. If you put yourself in a position to be victimized, don't get mad, when you are targeted by criminals.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:07 PM

119 posts, read 524,799 times
Why don't you ask your husband to expand his definition of a black neighborhood. I mean, I would not turn down the house in Scarsdale, NY next to P-Diddy's house. The neighborhood is probably unsafe, junky. For $80,000? Maybe poor word choice on the part of your husband. BTW I have a friend who is black!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 09:54 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I think her problem is really with her husband who does not want to move to the "black" neighborhood. She is just projecting that attitude on others.
Maybe her husband is racist. No one would tolerate racists anyway, especially in Tampa.

Old 06-05-2008, 07:25 AM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negotiator75 View Post
Maybe her husband is racist. No one would tolerate racists anyway, especially in Tampa.
maybe you should check the thread about a Huge Confederate flag flying in the Tampa area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay