Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 05:47 PM

93 posts, read 418,340 times

Advertisements

I'm struggling daily with a decision about whether to relocate to Tampa to be with my relatives.

I'm an executive assistant who is very familiar with the latest technology, plus I'm really into computers and the best gadgets. My sister is in Thonotosassa and has been in Florida for twenty years. Because of a twist of fate, I just happen to be left by myself in California.

I'm a California native, born in Santa Monica. I'm very liberal, progressive, into the arts, organic food/exercise/healthy living, and enjoy working at a progressive company. Because I'm alone so much, my entertainment is basically from Netflix, cable TV, and watching shows and movies on my computer. I am a painter and have lots of hobbies to keep me busy, but I'm lonely.

I would love to get information from any recently-transplanted Californians who might be able to give me their opinions re living in Tampa. The idea of having family and friends to socialize with during my free time is intoxicating - but will I really be happy in a state that - at least to me - is just the opposite of progressive? I'm really hoping someone will tell me that my perceptions are wrong, and that I could be happy there. Thanks much : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Not a Californian but I'll take a stab at answering anyway.
You're not going to find many progressives in eastern Hillsborough. Those are the people who brought us the psychotic deliciousness of now-State-Representative Ronda Storms (think "Sarah Palin on crack").
Probably Seminole Heights, parts of South Tampa, downtown St Pete (Kenwood or Old Southeast), parts of Clearwater, or Dunedin would be blue enough for you. Maybe Indian Rocks Beach or St. Pete Beach. Overall, Pinellas County trends more progressive than Hillsborough.
There are artists kind of interspersed in the above areas, and a really good full-service (and non-chain) healthy grocery (Nature's Food Patch) in Clearwater. If you don't mind chains Fresh Market's up the road, and there are rumors of a Whole Foods going in in Dunedin.
Something else you might want to check out is wmnf.org, which is sort of a touchstone for the progressive folk in the Bay Area. They have the distinction of having been, for awhile, the only truly listener-supported radio station in the state (because some whacked out state representative-- not the above-mentioned Ms. Storms; Tampa has had plenty of right wing nutjobs in office-- got their funding pulled for playing Iris Dement's Wasteland of the Free. Listeners jumped in and made up the difference-- yay for community radio!). Good music, interesting people, and a community calendar that might give you more information about the area.
Good luck on your relo!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 AM

Thanks so much Aconite, I really appreciate your feedback. I have always liked St. Pete and I think I would be happy there.

I don't think I was specific enough in my questions on my post. I've lived in a liberal state all my life. I'm wondering if I'll go thru massive culture shock being in Florida with the people who are in office.

I'm also wondering about the technology in Tampa - do you feel that you are "hooked in" to the latest gadgets and internet information? I think I have been privileged to live in Silicon Valley for so many years; we really are cutting-edge in this area, plus a huge benefit is that our economy is fairly insulated from what's going on in the U.S. We're starting to hurt financially in the valley, but it's nothing compared to most other states.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:50 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,191,970 times
Oh, you'll go through culture shock all right, and it has only a little to do with politics.

Back in the day, Florida's tourism board proposed a slogan: "Florida: the rules are different here".
Too many people had waaaaay too much fun with that, and they withdrew it very quickly. But it's true, and on a number of levels.

If there were a cross between New York, Alabama, and Costa Rica-- with alligators-- the natives of that country might not have culture shock when they move to Florida. Everybody else? Oh yeah.

Seriously, if you keep in mind you've essentially moved to a banana republic, it makes life easier. But it's not all bad. There's some charm to living in a banana republic, sometimes.

edited to add:

Having never lived in Silicon Valley, I have no idea what the comparison would be. We lived in the Research Triangle for awhile, and I'm familiar with the techie areas around Tyson's Corners and Boston. I don't think Tampa Bay compares badly overall, though certainly a few people are technophobes, as in most places. I will strongly recommend satellite TV over cable, because the cable companies mostly suck, and you'll need to check out cell coverage because companies differ. But I haven't run into anything I can think of offhand that's really bad.

And for a Republican, Closeted Charlie...er, Gov. Crist...is pretty decent.

Last edited by Aconite; 11-03-2008 at 08:58 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 01:08 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
I haven't lived in California, but have visited and have relatives who do/have lived there.

As mentioned, overall Florida is still much more conservative however, we are making great strides, especially in the expanded Tampa Bay area. Check out the following link for all sorts of info on the business climate here:

Major Industry Cluster in the Tampa Bay Area

Also, I do think you will enjoy certain areas of St. Pete, it has reinvented itself over the past couple decades and is no longer only a retirement haven. Now you will find much more liberal and Bohemian types, laid back artists, young professionals, etc. It has a beautiful waterfront downtown and a lot of great architecture. Also, it is easy to buzz over to the fun areas of Tampa, for a more "urban" vibe and more to do (Ybor, Channelside, Performing Arts Center, etc.)

The smaller city of Sarasota over the bridge from St. Pete to the south is a real jewel on the Gulf coast, and has the distinction of winning several awards for being the "greenest" (sustainable living green) city in Florida. This is another city that has reinvented itself - demographics seem to be changing, the area is getting younger, more cosmopolitan and more liberal. It also has Whole Foods, Fresh Market, gourmet markets, farmer's markets, French and Italian Bakeries and a host of other organic and health food stores.

The Gulf Coast has incredible warm beaches and while we may be a little hot in the summer, it isn't nearly as bad as some people make it sound. I am a native and find only 2-3 months to be uncomfortable here. Many months, it feels like California weather, low humidity and beautiful sunny skies.

P.S. - ACONITE: haha - I liked your comment about "Ronda Storms = Sarah Palin on crack" Let's just say I know what you mean. I also agree that Charlie Crist is pretty decent - sometimes I even forget he's a Republican!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:29 PM

710 posts, read 2,232,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheadabovewater View Post
I would love to get information from any recently-transplanted Californians who might be able to give me their opinions re living in Tampa. The idea of having family and friends to socialize with during my free time is intoxicating - but will I really be happy in a state that - at least to me - is just the opposite of progressive? I'm really hoping someone will tell me that my perceptions are wrong, and that I could be happy there. Thanks much : )
I'll give you my 2 cents -- we moved BACK to Miami from San Diego.
DW worked for a large telecom company there and I would consider us very liberal/progressive and obviously techie as well.
I'm slightly familiar with Tampa, but if you'll forgive, I'll stick to a more general Fla vs Cali comparisons.

Things here HAVE to be more micro vs macro on the West Coast. The people, politics and very general atmosphere is NOT progressive in any sense.
HOWEVER, there are distinct pockets -- Gainesville, St Augustine, parts of SE Florida, Key West... VERY interesting areas with very liberal histories.
And it isn't like Cali is SO liberal -- Ronald Reagen was governor for YEARS and Ahnold is Republican too (although moderate).

Our friends in Miami are, for the most part, left of center AND apolitical. BUT, even friends who are distinctly Republican tend to be fairly worldly and travelled. It isn't a hardship being down here for us from THAT perspective. We don't have to agree with every political view of every friend (as long as they aren't bigots!)

We moved back for a similar reason -- our entire families are East Coast and SoFla & we're VERY happy here. We have a FANTASTIC school for our kids, our general cost of living is slightly less than SoCal and we don't have to fly East for EVERY vacation.

You'll need to find a group of friends who share your POV ... maybe in groups that are cleaning up Tampa Bay or preserving hitoric homes? (Just guessing, but again, think micro!)
Good luck, I'm sure you can find happiness in Fla if that's what you decide.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:08 PM

That's excellent information, thank you - I bookmarked the site above for future use....it's nice to hear that I do have hope after all : ) My sister currently lives in Thonotosassa (has been there for 10 years), and if I do make the move, I'd like to rent a house with her. Perhaps I can persuade her to move to St. Pete, although my sister works near Temple Terrace. My real fear is that I'll take all the time, energy, and expense to move to Tampa and realize after 6 months that I hate it there.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:21 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,085,484 times
wow!! I guess it sucks to be from California and be living with us plain folks.....

Old 11-03-2008, 03:24 PM

Aw bnepler....plain folks are fine with me. I'm just afraid of feeling like a duck out of water. You have to admit, culture and society are very different between CA and the southern states.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:16 PM

10 posts, read 14,730 times
i think personally you should stay put in CA we don't need another liberal duck out of water here :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay